Posted at 12:42 PM ET, 07/23/2008

Last Call for Fringe

By Stephanie Merry

With only a few days left in the Fringe Festival, there are still plenty of opportunities to catch a show or two. Most of my must-see picks have already run their course, so here are some promising shows from the remaining lot.

The buzz surrounding "Children of Medea" has been positive. This story of two Korean-American sisters abandoned by their mother evokes both "Alice in Wonderland" and the mythological character Medea, whose husband leaves her, turning her into a homicidally jealous mess. One of our office buddies has also seen it and highly recommended it.

Woolly Mammoth has extended the run of "If You See Something Say Something" through July 26, which is a good enough reason for me to see it tonight. In this comic one-man show, Mike Daisey weaves the history of the Department of Homeland Security with personal anecdotes, including the story of his visit to Los Alamos.

"Diamond Dead" sounds a little like "Spinal Tap" meets "Night of the Living Dead"-- the members of a band die in a subwoofer accident and return to earth as some seriously rocking zombies with a craving for human flesh. Whether that sounds like an intriguing plot or not, word on the street is that it's a fun way to spend an evening.

Despite the fact I can never remember the full name, "Revenge of the Cat-Headed Baby and Other True Tales about Life and Death" is quickly creeping to the top of my must-see list. Much like "Chocolate Jesus," SpeakeasyDC's other Fringe offering, the show consists of occasionally comical first-person tales exploring human existence.

"Bargain Basement Game Show" turns audience members into contestants and has one more "episode" this Saturday. From what I hear, there's a lot of fun to be had vying for cheap prizes, but brush up on your Jeopardy skills if you really want to win something.

Any other recommendations? Let us know in the comments.

--Stephanie

By Stephanie Merry  | July 23, 2008; 12:42 PM ET
Categories:  Theater
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda
Next: Feast of a Weekend

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I saw "The Sticking Place" recently, its really good! Its playing Thursday at 8pm at the Fringe's HQ on NY Ave, and its the last performance, so check it out!

Posted by: anon | July 23, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I hear Wiener Sausage: The Musical! has been selling out every show, but if there are still tickets for this weekend, that's a wild choice. Something DC needs more of ...

Posted by: Johnson Warblinger | July 23, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for showing the Diamond Dead some love! It is a great show; sexy, funny, and totally rockin'.

Only three more shows: tonight, Friday, and Saturday. Not sure which to go to; thursday is at 6, Friday is 10 pm, and Saturday is noon. The Friday show will be fierce, but who doesn't love a nooner?

Diamond Dead gives great fringe.

Posted by: Nancy | July 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Born Normal and Gilgamesh, Who Saw the Deep. They're both at Source. 5 and 7 p.m. Saturday night.

Posted by: Jess | July 25, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The Bacchae was a great show! I was unfamiliar with this Greek classic, but it drew me in right from the start. The black metal rock music and edgy costumes were just part of a cool and surprising interpretation of the play. I loved the intimidating Dionysus, and Cadmus with his air guitar! I don't want to give too much away, but you should go see The Bacchae and be prepared for a wild ride!

Posted by: Maureen | July 25, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse