Posted at 10:56 AM ET, 07/16/2008

Preparing for the 'Knight'

By Jen Chaney

"I am Batman. And I look really good in Imax." (Warner Bros.)

Batman freaks and fans of the late Heath Ledger have been quivering for months in anticipation of "The Dark Knight," and now we have less than 48 hours to go. "Knight," starring Bale again as Batman and Ledger as a particularly psychotic Joker, comes to theaters -- including the Imax at Udvar-Hazy -- tomorrow at midnight.

A review will appear in tomorrow's edition of the Post. But in the meantime, I thought I'd amp you up with five teasers related to Christopher Nolan's lengthy-but-thrilling sequel to "Batman Begins."

Teaser 1: During one of several inspired/frightening/hilarious monologues, Ledger -- in his smudged Joker make-up, looking like a guy who just experienced a colossally harsh Halloween night -- quotes a famous line from a Cameron Crowe movie. Is it "Show me the money"? Something Lloyd Dobler said? I'm not telling. OK, you could read one of the early reviews posted on Rotten Tomatoes to find out, but really, where's the fun in that?

Teaser 2: The rumors are true. The Scarecrow, Batman's adversary in "Batman Begins," does indeed make an appearance. But watch closely or you'll miss it.

Teaser 3: In addition to the cast members everyone already knows about -- Bale, Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman -- you'll also see appearances by a star of some classic John Hughes movies, a U.S. senator and an "ageless" actor from TV's "Lost." (Bonus points to anyone who gets why it's doubly brilliant to have cast that last gentleman in a Batman movie.)

Teaser 4: At least one important character dies.

Teaser 5: This last one will really disappoint many of you, but I have to tell the truth. Prince's "Batdance" is not featured at any point in "The Dark Knight." So please: If you feel compelled to "bust that body," do it before you enter the multiplex.

By Jen Chaney  | July 16, 2008; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda
Next: Coming Attractions: Fine Food, Great Wine and Cupcakes

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I'm going to see it at the Uptown on Friday.

Uptown screen dimensions: 21m x 12m
IMAX screen dimensions: 22m x 16m

Sure, it's not the biggest screen possible, but as a DC resident without a car, it beats going to Chantilly.

Posted by: alan | July 16, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jen, I hate to tell you but those aren't teasers, they are called spoilers.

A teaser would be..."Look closely for one of Batman's foes or you'll miss it."

A spoiler is "The Scarecrow is in the movie." Thanks for ruining that for me. I've been trying to avoid spoilers.

Posted by: bigeugene | July 16, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey y'all - just tried to post this in the chat:

I'm heading to the 8:15 IMAX show tomorrow night. Never been to U-H. Couple questions:
1. Can you use the Dulles Access road to get there?
2. Is there a place for a sweet girlfriend to sit and read while I stand in line two hours early?
3. Are there any bad seats in the theater, particularly those that hurt your back and neck? I'm worried that two hours early won't be early enough.

Thanks!

Posted by: Udvar-Hazy | July 17, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Nestor Carbonell (aka Richard Alpert from Lost), provided the voice for the character "BatManuel" in the animated series The Tick. Awesome.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | July 17, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Correction: Nestor actually played the part of BatManuel in the live action version of The Tick. Even more awesome.

Posted by: Duke Frankencow | July 17, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, from SC but I enjoyed the article and the format (I agree that the Scarecrow thing was not a 'teaser' but a spoiler - but I already knew before you had posted this article that he was in the film). I am now at work trying to figure out the riddle about the Lost character, seeing as how I don't watch the show...

Posted by: Sean | July 17, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Who is thie "Batman" I keep hearing about and does it/he have any information on the future of renewable energy and/or the capactity to make a tasty pancake?

Posted by: TheWhat | July 17, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse