Posted at 11:13 AM ET, 08/20/2008

Get Your Cake On

By Julia Beizer

Some of Hello Cupcake's sugary sweets. (Penny Karas)

Downtown: Hi Gurus! Do you know when Hello Cupcake is going to open? I walked past it the other day and it looked like opening day couldn't be too far away.

Cupcake lovers, your wish has come true. The word from owner Penny Karas is that the new Dupont cupcakery will officially open Monday, Aug. 25. Peanut butter blossom, here we come.

-- Julia

By Julia Beizer  | August 20, 2008; 11:13 AM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nightlife Agenda
Next: Wisconsin Avenue's Blue Crush

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

I hate to admit how excited I am about this, but I am excited in the extreme.

I am still mad at Starbucks for getting rid of their cupcakes. I personally think they could have staved off their company downsizing if they had just kept those cupcakes, because I would have been there, everyday.

I welcome Dupont Circle's new cupcake overlords.

Posted by: NW DC | August 20, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It will be impossible to pull me away from Georgetown Cupcake!!!!!!
Then again that is what I used to say about Cake Love? (yuck)

Posted by: LS | August 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

sorry but baked and wired trumps g-town cupcakes - though they *are* kyute. B&W cakes are bigger, more dense - and omg that red velvet and its frosting is to die for!!

mouth is watering now. looking forward to Hello. better be good. got competition.

Posted by: cupcake fool | August 21, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

NW DC, I was under the impression that cupcakes at Starbucks are a seasonal item (every spring, for a really short period of time) That's what they told me last year, at least.

I'll definitely be in line at Hello Cupcake on Monday.

Posted by: julie | August 22, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan of g-town or cake love. They just don't get it yet! I'm excited for Hello Cupcake.

Posted by: LASSR | August 24, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm so ready for a great cupcake shop in the area - contrary to popular believe one still does not exist. CL is the worst -- work on that nasty icing, would ya?! ICK

Posted by: cake snob | August 25, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I've actually already had a few Hello cupcakes -- they did a special sneak preview edition for our firm's office party last month -- and they're absolutely fantastic. We had three different kinds (chocolate, vanilla, lemon cakes) and I loved all of them. So excited they're finally opening up!

Posted by: K Street | August 25, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The "pick me up." It was... ok. The chocolate "coffee bean" was pleasant, icing was on the slick side (rather than sugary), and the cake itself was tender in the middle but a bit dry on the sides. I prefer Georgetown Cupcake - moister (ew, I hate that word) and bigger with more "bite" to the frosting. Then again, I really should eat a few more to say for sure.

Posted by: just had one | August 25, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Totally irrelevant to me. My waistline and I are just glad the cupcake trend has bypassed Rockville and far upper NW, the two places where I spend most of my time.

Posted by: csdiego | August 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Had the "Velvet Elvis" and it was scary good. (Good 'cause it's deliciously moist banana cake with creamy sweet peanut butter frosting. Scary 'cause I work just a 5-minute walk away from the place.) I know the Gtown Cupcake lovers will be out in force explaining why their place is better, but the only time I tried to go there, they had run out of cupcakes. Ho hum. So for now I'm gonna give Hello Cupcake an unabashed and enthusiastic two thumbs up. (It certainly beats the pants off Cakelove ... sorry, Warren Brown, you're a cutie but I don't want to wait for my cupcake to warm up before I can eat it!)

Posted by: gmg | August 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

G-town cupcake is disappointing, they have good flavor but are dry and small, especially for $3 a cupcake. We are very looking forward to a new cupcakerie!!!

Posted by: cupcaker | August 25, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse