Posted at 6:21 PM ET, 10/28/2008

Let the Cupcake Games Begin

By Julia Beizer

10/28 Update: This week marks the last preliminary round of Cupcake Wars. We tasted specimens from Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe and BakeshopDC (sold at Murky Coffee). See the results here and check back next week for the finals, when we'll name our cupcake champion.

May the best cupcake win. It's probably not one of these CakeLove samples. (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

* * *

In this week's Food section, we Posties are embarking on a great challenge, one that we're undertaking with humility and a solemn sense of responsibility. We're tasting cupcakes from a dozen bakeries in pursuit of Washington's best. For the next six weeks, we'll be risking our waistlines for you, gentle readers, so that your cupcake dollars never go misspent.

We'll be keeping track of our findings on this chart, but we want to hear from you about your local favorite. Is it Sticky Fingers, CakeLove, Buzz, Lavender Moon Cupcakery, Hello Cupcake, Just Cakes, Sweet Christina's, Pastries by Randolph, Georgetown Cupcake, Baked & Wired, Furin's or Baltimore Cupcake (sold at Hitched)? Let us know by voting in this poll. Write-in votes are encouraged in the comments section below.

A final note: Surely there are those who are sick of the cupcake trend or those who hail from other cities where cupcakes are already yesterday's news. To them, I say, lighten up. In these uncertain times, we could all use a snack.

-- Julia

By Julia Beizer  | October 28, 2008; 6:21 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dress to Impress
Next: Nightlife Agenda

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Vote Baked & Wired, people! The best cupcakes EVER!

Posted by: Patricia | September 10, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake!!...Absolutely, irresistibly delicious!

Posted by: Mary | September 10, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake by far has the best cupckaes in town.

Posted by: Elizabeth | September 10, 2008 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone tried the cupcakes at Natalia's in Falls Church? Totally yum!!

Posted by: Bea | September 10, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake ROCKS - Velvet Elvis, Triple Coconut, You Tart ... yumyumYUM!!! Diet-Schmiet!!!

Posted by: RGS | September 10, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

hello all. I have only tasted one cupcake on the list: Cakelove in silver spring. It was by far the dryest cupcake I've ever had. I'd even venture to say it was stale.

Posted by: cupcakes | September 10, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

baked & wired!

Posted by: ber | September 10, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

And thank you for finally exposing CakeLove for the horrible dry excuse for a cake that it is. I've had multiple visits and I've been disappointed every time. The cake is dry and the frosting tastes like a rock hard stick of butter. Zero flavor, lightness or delicate sweetness. Looking forward to coming installments of your cupcake tasting!

Posted by: Mel | September 10, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Buzz Bakery Cupcake's are AMAZING

Posted by: mli | September 10, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the CakeLove review. The best I've had is not on your list. The best chocolate cake with white frosting cupcake is from the "Happy Baker" stand in the Bethsda Womens Farmers Market. But perhaps I should try some of the other locations on the list too :)

Posted by: hs | September 10, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I hate to go off the grid for this one, but Baltimore Cupcake Co has the BEST cupcake out there, and I have tried them all. The cake is actually moist and not just a vehicle for the frosting. It could easily be sold bare but that would be a shame. If you haven't tried one, get over to hitched (they used to sell them in Olney too but alas, no more- boo!).

Posted by: Maggie | September 10, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Buzz!

Posted by: R. | September 10, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Try cupcakes at Mother's Macaroons in Arlington! www.mothersmacaroons.com

Posted by: amie | September 10, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Buzz's cupcakes are the best. Whenever we come into town from Florida---Buzz is one of our first stops.

Posted by: Bob Indre | September 10, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

DESSERTS BY GERARD!!!!!
HANDS DOWN!!!

HE WILL MAKE ANY CAKE THAT HE MAKES INTO A CUPCAKE. THEY ARE COLLOSSAL AND HE ONLY CHARGES 1.75 PER CUPCAKE, UNLIKE MOST OF THESE SO CALLED "CUPCAKE" SHOPS THAT DARE TO CALL THEMSELVES BAKERIES. PALEASE!!!!

Posted by: Beth | September 10, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Buzz is my reason for leaving the house. Cupcakes are to die for and the staff is out of this world!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The best cupcakes in the area are from Bittersweet in Alexandria. Handsdown! So disappointed they aren't on this survey...

Posted by: Siobhan | September 10, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hello!?!?!? You totally left out Bakeshop DC.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Where is Bakeshop DC???? Justin's cupcakes rock!

Posted by: Georgetown | September 10, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I vote for Best Buns bakery in Shirlington! Seriously, you guys should consider adding them as a late contender. Their buttercream frosting is the stuff of DREAMS and their cupcakes are enormous.

Posted by: Melina | September 10, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

The Red Velvet at Georgetown Cupcake gets my top honors.

Posted by: Chris | September 10, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Buzz's Red Velvet cupcakes dominate the free world AND they have the BEST cake designer/artist/decorator.. whatever the word for it is, on staff. A Frosting Van Gogh, if you will.

Posted by: Burly | September 10, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

You're missing Couture Cupcakes!

Posted by: McLean | September 10, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

baked & wired has the best thick cake / sugary frosting ratio. it's a serious cupcake.

Posted by: lb | September 10, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Buzz is out of this world!!

Posted by: BEE4ME | September 10, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

You gotta try Cupcake Heaven in Haymarket, VA.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Scotty's Cupcakes in Columbia Heights on Monroe is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Posted by: Chris Mullin | September 10, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired FTW.
Although I'm looking forward to trying Hello Cupcake...

Posted by: KS | September 10, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Lavender Moon is absolutely Yummy !! But you have forgotten to mention Happy Eatery they make mouth watering cup-cakes

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Cake Love icing is nothing but butter...

hello cupcake was pretty good! g-town is next for me.

Posted by: Lindsay | September 10, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Baked & Wired have THE MOST DELICIOUS CUPCAKES I HAVE EVER EATEN!!

Boooo to Georgetown Cupcakes--their's are GROSS!

Posted by: Shayna | September 10, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Buzz makes hands-down the best Red Velvet, but their Buzz cupcake with coffee "grounds" is awesome.

Posted by: FoodieTots | September 10, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake was a big disappointment for me. It looked like my cupcakes from home, and the taste was just average. At $3.00 a cupcake I wanted my $6.00 back. So I could head up the parkway to Cakes Plus in Laurel!!!!! The cupcakes there are out of this world. Nothing fancy, just straight forward and delicious!!!!

Posted by: JS | September 10, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Couture Cupcakes all the way... had them at a baby shower and have ordered them 3x since- they make an AMAZING Brownie Cupcake and their Red Velvet triumph's Georgetown Cupcakes

There is no store front but check out her website www.couture-cupcakes.com

Posted by: Lucy | September 10, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

What about Couture Cupcakes! You can buy them at Tu-O-Tu in Georgetown and I heard they will be available at ACKC Cocoa Bar in Logan Circle. They are the best cupcakes!!!!

Posted by: Charlotte | September 10, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

For $0.80 per, the standard cupcake @ the bakery in Eastern Market is the best cupcake deal in town.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Bakeshop DC's are by far the best. Why isn't it on your list??

Posted by: Melissa | September 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

No one can match the taste, elegance and sophistication that GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE offers its customers. Out shines the rest!

Posted by: Sophia | September 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Buzz Red Velvet wins by a mile!

Posted by: Know-it-All Cupcake Guru | September 10, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I love the cupcakes (and cakes) at Cakes Plus in Laurel. The vanilla cupcakes with white buttercream icing are to die for. They are so fragrant, moist, and delicious - you have to try them!!!

Posted by: Judy | September 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so very much for exposing the truth about CakeLove.

Posted by: Nichelle | September 10, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Brennan's in Belleview
why vote when the best isn't even listed?

Posted by: Alexandria | September 10, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I am a big fan of Hello Cupcake (just wrote a review of them on my blog: http://moderndomestic.wordpress.com). I seriously love the Peppermint Penny-the frosting was perfectly flavored and the cake was chocolate-y and fluffy. All my other friends who tasted their cupcakes were seriously impressed.

Posted by: Jenna | September 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Surely people jest. Georgetown cupcakes are
1. expensive for
2. a teeny size
3. dry cake (that you could have made yourself at home)
4. liquidy frosting, that while smooth is not worth the price of the cupcake.

Georgetown Cupcakes reminds me of cupcakes an amateur baker could pull off on a good day. I attribute all their success to a cute storefront, good marketing, and people who have not had enough cupcake tastings to know the difference between what can be made at home for cheap and what should be paid for at a cupcake store.

Posted by: Cupcake Lover | September 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired--carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. BEST EVER. When I worked nearby we'd call ahead to find out the flavors of the day. Now I work downtown, and miss them :(

Posted by: Monica | September 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I loved Heller's basic cupcakes when I lived in Mt. Pleasant.

Posted by: Silver Spring | September 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

My all time favorite bake shop wasn't mentioned either. It's a custom shop and they do things fun, unique and down right delicious! Check them out Suga Chef Desserts! The prices are reasonable and they are very customer friendly. I have ordered from them many many times. Check them out www.sugachef.com

Posted by: Canela Peluche | September 10, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you there! My friends use them all them time and they love them. I have been at several parties where they ordered desserts from them. Can I say out of this world! Custom designs and signature flavors... what more can you ask for. Suga Chef Desserts is the way to go! www.sugachef.com

Posted by: Patrick | September 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Yup , I agree Suga Chef Desserts ROCKS!!!
Try the rainbow madness.... even Ellen and Rupaul will blush! Awesome taste and flavor!

Posted by: Vincenzo | September 10, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired....HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Wendy | September 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Baked & Wired has been making cupcakes longer than all of these bakeries and have remained the best and their quality has never gone down. VOTE!!!

Posted by: Lori | September 10, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

i agree with cupcake lover georgetown cupcakes are nothing special.... and to make it worse their customer service is TERRIBLE. the two girls that own it have been nothing but rude the two times i've been there. won't be going back + wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Posted by: ellen | September 10, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown Georgetown Georgetown!

The cupcakes are SO tasty, and they (at least for me) are the perfect size. Plus I've never had anything but a fresh cupcake from these guys, whereas some *other* places don't seem concerned about making an extra 2 or 3 dollars off a stale cupcake... how cruel.

Posted by: cupcake madness | September 10, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown cupcake made my vacation from Canada complete. Absolutely delicious!!!!

Posted by: Vicki | September 10, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

We just tried Lavender Moon today and the icing is to die for. Smooth, like chocolate mousse.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 10, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't tried Baked and Wired, you've never had a cupcake.

Posted by: fk | September 10, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired - Maybe there is a cupcake as good, but not in DC area.

Posted by: Denis Collins | September 10, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I WOULD DRIVE ALL THE WAY FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE FOR A BUZZ CUPCAKE---ONLY TEASING---MAKE IT A DOZEN!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ===MARTY=== | September 10, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post wake up!! Lola's in Leesburg makes amazing cupcakes. She even does a "cupcake of the month." The August S'more cupcake was amazing and I've already had 2 September cupcakes, Carrot cake.

Posted by: Yummy | September 10, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I get to the DC area about four times a year, and have sampled all about DC, Alexandria. Grazed, as it were! One place I am magnetized to is Buzz! I still sample around, but continue to find Buzz the best by far, and I wouldn't want to be you if you were standing between me and one of Josh's carrot cakes!

Posted by: Willyboy | September 10, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Lola's in Leesburg..yummy, yummy wish I would have tried the S'More..bring it back=-)

Posted by: jgryder | September 10, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Once you've had a BUZZ ~ all the others are just wasted trips!

Posted by: Queenie | September 10, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

You can't miss Lola's in Leesburg. Their S'Mores cupcake is to die for! My favorite is their chocolate--it's rich, decadent and fabulous.

Posted by: Kim | September 10, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Lola's in Leesburg - The Best!!!
Try the Cocount cupcake, or the Pumpkin, or Carrot, or the....

Posted by: Mary Kay | September 10, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

People, please!!! Baked and Wired is where it's at if you love cupcakes. Forget Gtown Cupcake - over rated hype.

Posted by: jw | September 10, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake is AH-MAZING! All I have to say is peanut butter frosting...mindblowing.

Posted by: dwj | September 10, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

How could you have missed Lola Cookies in Leesburg? The fact that they have a Smores cupcake should tell you everything you need to know! Though the chocolate is awesome too.

Posted by: tweber | September 10, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Buzz all the way--you should try their garnola also--fantastic!!!

Posted by: Deeks | September 10, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Lola Cupcakes are the best! Baked with small town love, these cupcakes are not to be missed.

Posted by: Lisa | September 10, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | September 10, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Lola's Cookies in Leesburg VA makes the very best CUPCAKES in the DC Metro area. Maybe even the entire country.

Posted by: Heather Bensel | September 10, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

buzz has best cupcakes, most annoying customers.

Posted by: buzz on | September 10, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

You HAVE to go to Lola's in Leesburg. There is NOTHING better than a Lola's Coconut cupcake. Honest. It is worth the drive down Route 7 west!

Posted by: Lisa Mears | September 10, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

WHERE HAVE YOU ALL BEEN!?!?! Lola's Cookies and Treats in Leesburg, VA BY FAR has THE BEST CUPCAKES....EVER! My favorite: Lemon Cupcake! Yum-o!

You all are missing out on some awesome treats!

www.lolascookies.com

PLEASE add Lola's to this list to make it fair for all who deserve the recognition!

Posted by: Sandra | September 10, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

How could you miss Lola's coconut cupcakes??!! They are divine and impossible to resist.

Posted by: Bennoah | September 10, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Lola's! Lola's! Lola's!

Their coconut cupcake barely makes it out of the shop in my hands. YUM.

Posted by: chacha | September 10, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree with several entries for Lola's. How come they aren't on the list? My favorite are the ginger - nothing like them anywhere! To DIE for!

Posted by: Alyson | September 10, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

How could you not include Lola in your cupcake survey? BIG miss. This wonderful tiny, charming bakery in Leesburg provides big treats. Whenever we have visitors from out of town we go to Lola's for desert.

My favorite is the lemon cupcake, always available, but Lola has a cupcake of the month, too, which is never fails to be an inspired winner.

Will you re-think your list of competitors? You should, since Lola's bars are being featured on Rachel Ray.

Posted by: Sally | September 10, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Lola's coconut cupcake is the best cupcake I've ever tasted. I've gained an extra five pounds since discovering this wonderful treat!

Posted by: Tracy | September 10, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Lola cookies and Treats in Leesburg has the best cupcakes ever! The coconut cupcake is so delicious! And, CakeLove is the WORST...the cupcakes are terrible. The icing is flavorless! Come to Leesburg and visit Lola's!

Posted by: Nicole | September 10, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake takes the cake when it comes to cupcakes. Perfect texture, moistness, and frosting! Love the red velvet!

Posted by: Liz | September 10, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

BAKED & WIRED. Their strawberry cupcake is the best sweet treat I have ever had! Whoever says that Georgetown is better, has NEVER tried a Baked and Wired cupcake. Everything is homemade and their staff is like family!

Posted by: Regina | September 10, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Lola's cupcakes in Leesburg VA are the best.. they've been on fox 5 and soon to be on Rachel Ray's talk show.. They are all natural ingredients - no preservatives-no artificial anything and the tastiest cupcakes anywhere hands down. The chocolate are the best ever. Well worth every penny and more. I stock up if I know i cant get there for a couple days.

Posted by: christina the lola addict | September 11, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Who ever wants a really, really, really GREAT cupcake you MUST come to Leesburg and find a place called Lola's Cookies and Treats. Oh My God are they good. In May the cupcake of the month was Strawberry with real fresh cut strawberries!

I bought so many smore's cupcakes that I had to give up chocolate for the rest of the year.

Posted by: Sandy | September 11, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I grew up in DC and live in New York and and I can say with confidence that the cupcakes from Baked and Wired are the best you can get from either city. Georgetown Cupcake and Magnolia Bakery don't even come close! A Baked and Wired cupcake is as good as it gets.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

1 - the contest should be within a city, not among. I'm a DC resident - I'm not going into VA or Mont County, MD for anybody's cupcake. So just tell me the best in my city among Georgetown, Sticky Fingers, Cake Love, Baked&Wired and Buzz.

2) The Answer would be BAKED AND WIRED. Consistently delciious.

3) Georgetown Cupcakes? - don't BELIEVE the bourgie hype. Overpriced, overrated, undersized. Snotty servers.

4) Hello Cupcakes? - weak. goodbye.

5) Cakelove? - cakehate. YUK.

Admittedly, I haven't tried Buzz or Sticky Fingers - maybe someday.

Posted by: cupcake fool | September 11, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown cupcakes so yummy!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Lola's in Leesburg Virginia

Great owner and folks who work there and the cupcakes are fantastic. Great variety

Posted by: Marty King | September 11, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired. Why go anywhere else.... it's the best

Posted by: Judy Beach | September 11, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I haven't tried any of the cupcakes you mentioned but by far my favorite is Lola's Cookies in Leesburg, Virginia. It is a small store but don't let that fool you. Her Coconut cupcake is my very favorite but the Lemon runs a close second. Try them - see what you think.

Posted by: Mary Lou Heath, Waterford, VA | September 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The best hidden gem of a bakery in the greater DC area has to be Lola's in Leesburg, VA. All of her treats are delicious, but the cupcakes are truly fabulous. The other day my husband and I sampled the carrot cake cupcake and the ginger cupcake, and both are not to be missed. I also can't pass up the s'mores cupcake, the milk chocolate cupcake, or the coconut cupcake - the recipe for which was devised by Lola to satisfy a pregnancy craving! :) This is not a chain of bakeries by a celebrity chef; it is a small town bakery that is truly a labor of love for its owner. Please make the drive out to Leesburg and make it part of your feature... you won't be disappointed!

Posted by: Samantha Russell | September 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Lola's cupcakes are the best & should be included in your voting. They are located in Leesburg & also sell at the Farmer's Market there on Saturdays. Yummy!!!

Posted by: Charlene | September 11, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

You haven't had a GREAT cupcake until you have had one of Lola's in Leesburg. Our fav is her coconut, but there are several others that are equally great. We send Lola's gift packages to friends and relatives...they are gaining fame around the country! Always fun to visit her bakery and watch the cupcakes (and cookies) being made.

Posted by: Nick Chandler | September 11, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I felt like a kid again at Hello Cupcakes! I hardly ever eat this stuff but after trying one of theirs realized why: most cupcakes are garbage! Hello Cupcakes reminded me of one of my favorite treats as a kid and now I can get one every day!

Posted by: Mark | September 11, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

If you haven't had Hello Cupcake in Dupont Circle you MUST go try it. In fact, I'd say wait to vote until you do, because I bet it may change your vote, SO GOOD!

Posted by: acc | September 11, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired makes the BEST cupcakes I have ever eaten. Nothing else - and certainly none of the other bakeries in this contest - come close. If you haven't tried a Baked and Wired cupcake, you haven't had a real cupcake. Plus, the staff is great! They make you feel at home the minute you walk in the door. Run, don't walk, to Baked and Wired.

Posted by: SJH | September 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I've tried every cupcake on this survey, and I give my vote to BUZZ. The quality of their ingredients cannot be beat! I've never had a bad cupcake from Josh Short.

Posted by: Havemay | September 11, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

LOLA's !!! Lola's is SO worth the trip to downtown Leesburg. Her cupcakes (& everything else in the store) are by far the best. Rich, Creamy - beyond Delicious! Chocolate are my favorite - but ALL flavors are out of this world !!!

Posted by: KSMcK | September 11, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Sticky Fingers addict!

Posted by: Beth | September 11, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Lola's, Lola's, Lola's - sweet yummy goodness! Carrot Cake Cup Cake in any or all of the 4 seasons.

Posted by: DJR | September 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired! There is nothing finer than a Baked and Wired coconut cupcake. Accept no substitute.

Posted by: aiko | September 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

What about CHARM CITY CUPCAKES in Baltimore? They're cheaper ($2.25 and sometimes at the end of the day you get a free one if you purchase several!) and quite yummy - simple flavor combinations but the cake is moist (even at the end of the day!) and the frosting better than anything I make! Yum!!

Posted by: JenBR | September 11, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

How could you miss listing Lola's of Leesburg on your ballot? Absolutely the best of everything she makes -- and the cupcakes of all flavors are divine!

Posted by: janetmanthos | September 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The vegan cupcakes at Natalia's Elegant Creations in Falls Church are awesome! Every non-vegan to whom I've given one has been amazed. They're not only the best vegan cupcakes in the area, they may be the best cupcakes in the area as well.

They're moist and bursting with flavors. My favorite is the coconut cupcakes, but I also like the chai latte cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes, and carrot cake cupcakes - and more. Natalia's doesn't have these every day, so call ahead: www.nataliaselegantcreations.com. You can request!

Posted by: Gary Loewenthal | September 11, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

You are crazy, Lola of Leesburg has to die for Coconut Cup Cakes!

Posted by: kimiss | September 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

BAKED AND WIRED. After eating their cupcakes you look at the tasty treats in a whole new light.

Posted by: Serena | September 11, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Sticky Fingers has the best cupcakes by far! A wide variety of flavors and frosting to die for. My vegan toddler as well as my carnivorous father love them!!! Try the strawberry shortcake as well as the cookies and creme...you will definitely be a convert!

Posted by: Carobgyrl | September 11, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine a b-day without a cup cake from Baked and Wired. Its the frosting on the cake and doesn't get any better!!! Best cup cake and frosting on the east coast.

Posted by: irma | September 11, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Sticky Fingers has amazing cupcakes! The peanut butter and jelly cupcake is amazing, as well as the tiramisu cupcake. I've been getting their cupcakes and cakes for my birthday for the past several years and THEY ARE DIVINE!

Posted by: Lindy | September 11, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Just want to agree that the Happy Baker at the Bethesda Farm Women's Co-op is amazing. Hands down the best cupcake in the area, miles and miles above Cakelove's dry as dust waste of calorie cupcakes.

Posted by: AEG | September 11, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

baked and wired is awesome. best cupcakes hands down!
this is why i love b&w cupcakes:
1) HUGE
2)tastes like what grandma made (but better)
3) beautifully wrapped in parchment paper
4)always new and innovative (but not tacky) flavors..can you say texas sheetcake?
5) never runs out (unlike some other georgetown cupcakeries...)
6) goes great with their expertly made espresso

baked and wired all the way!!

Posted by: Marie | September 11, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

BUZZ Bakery, absolutely. We'll drive all the way from South Carolina to get our hands on another cupcake from BUZZ. Taste and texture are dynamite and the baker is cute. I like the atmosphere in the evenings. I agree that Cakelove is a joke and Georgetown is overrated.

Posted by: Max | September 11, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

BUZZ bakery cupcakes. They serve Illy coffee,too. Rustico is across the street for beer and food before cupcakes,a good time all around.

Posted by: little snack fan | September 11, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Sticky Fingers! Not only are they moist and tasty and adorable, they are vegan, so you can feel good about not contributing to animal cruelty. Sticky Fingers is good for the taste buds and good for the soul! If you haven't eaten a Sticky Fingers cupcake...you must!

Posted by: djbays | September 11, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

BakeshopDC has the best cupcakes in the DC area by far. They are sold at Murky Coffee. Put them on your list.

Posted by: Katie | September 11, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The cupcakes from Pastries by Randolph are just the right size. The red velvet cupcakes are to die for. My next favorite is the german chocolate cupcake.
Also the regular cupcakes have a sensational taste.

Posted by: Lynn | September 11, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Pastries by Randolph has the best cupcakes you will ever taste. If you haven't been there its your time to go and eat some good stuff. My favorite cupcakes are the traditional ones with chocolate and vanilla frosting with sprinkles. Can you say DELICIOUS?

Posted by: kristina | September 11, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

So here's the deal. I have been to everyone of these cupcake joints in D.C., and the truth is, the best cupcake in this town is in fact BAKED AND WIRED. YOu want to know why!
Because there are people in a little kitchen on foxhall avenue who literally spend laborious days and nights perfecting the art of CUPCAKE CREATING. They make the moisture of the cake just right, the sugary delicious icing irresistable, and more importantly the presentation Baked and Wired delivers to their loving customers always keeps 'em coming back for more! Nothin like a red velvet followed by a cold glass of milk... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy!

Posted by: taylor | September 11, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Lola's cupcakes in Leesburg VA!! Top ingredients for chocolate, ginger, coconut, carrot, etc. They are the best!!

Posted by: stac | September 11, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously!
I've never tasted cupcakes so good, and I've eaten my weight in cake all around the world. Their cupcakes are moist, fresh, and wonderfully flavorful- and they have so many different types to choose from! Aaaah, and the shop is so cute to boot!!! I wish I could take their cupcakes back home with me to San Francisco. T______T

Posted by: Simone | September 11, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Touche Touche Bakery near Columbia has amazing cupcakes - the carrot cake and key lime are amazing.

Posted by: Kat | September 11, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Lola's Cookies in Leesburg is better! Perfect blend of sweetness...not overly sugary. (Great cookies, too)

Posted by: Jeff T | September 12, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

How could you leave out Lola. They have the best in the area the lemon cupcake is to die for. Well worth the drive out rt 7.

Posted by: Brad Hess | September 12, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

Our choice is GEORGETOWN CUPCAKE for all the right reasons:
1. Fresh, moist cupcakes
2. Delicious Frosting
3. Friendly, professional service by owners and staff
4. The cutest cupcake shop alone is a must see.

To the few nay sayers, I read green envy between the lines of their comments. I suggest they try Georgetown Cupcake again. The grew with more equipment and staff. They never run out of cupcakes and the lines move very quickly.

We love Georgetown Cupcake and highly recommend it to everyone.

Posted by: Helen | September 12, 2008 2:49 AM | Report abuse

Where's the love for Sweet Christina's? I guess they're not as well known, but their cupcakes are some of the best that I've ever had...ESPECIALLY the red velvet. If you've never been, you're missing out.

Posted by: nadia | September 12, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

What's all the fuss about Cake Love? I've only been to the Shirlington location and don't think I'll go back. Overpriced and not very good!

Posted by: Arlington | September 12, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired cupcakes are the best. Huge, moist, delicious. Go B & W!

Posted by: Iona | September 12, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcakes caramel apple changed my life. Now I want every season to be fall!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I visited almost every major cup cakery in the DC area last week (thought it would be fun) to include every Cup-Cake-War contender along with a few more.

Her favorite by far was Buzz Bakery. My close favorite was also Buzz Bakery. Best cupcakes we've ever had

Posted by: PandaMan | September 12, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Cake Love was just DRY and Georgetown Cupcake was so sugary, I couldn't finish it. It was gross.

B & W was an all around good deal for a good cupcake and BUZZ was just GREAT!

Posted by: Rosco | September 12, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Buzz capcakes take me to a happy place full of smiles

Posted by: A'Lotta Fabric | September 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Cake Love is so over-rated! The cake and cupcakes are dry and tasteless, and the frosting tastes like they forgot to add sugar and flavor to all that butter. I wish a new dessert bakery would open up on U Street . . .

Posted by: U Street girl | September 12, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Desserts, Etc...more than just sweets! (www.desserts-etc.com) has the best cakes and cupcakes. Their Felecia's Favorite, Red Velvet and An Orange Dream are to die for! You can find them at the National Harbor's American Market on Saturdays or you can order from them online. Besides their cakes you have to try their Sweet Potato Brownies and Kentucky Butter Cake THEY HAVE THE BEST DESSERTS PERIOD!!!

Posted by: Sweet Lover | September 12, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Cakelove: To be fair, you're supposed to thaw CakeLove products for about 30 minutes before you eat it since they're sold refrigerated. Gross when out of the fridge, decent when thawed properly. Cake and icing is okbut not the best.
Hello Cupcake: very moist and dense cake, buttercream is boring. My faves here are the 24 Karat, the Dulce De Leche, and the Peanut Butter Blossom.
Georgetown Cupcake: If you love creamcheese frosting, you will love these cupcakes. I do admit they arent as moist or as dense as hellos, but I lust after their frosting... its what dreams and orgasms are made of! Faves are: Red Velvet, Vanilla 2, Key Lime, PB Swirl. My favorite place so far!

Posted by: Mars | September 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Pastries by Randolph has the best cupcakes. They have 5 gourmet cupcake flavors: lemon, orange, cappuccino, german chocolate and my favorite red velvet!!!! It's a must

Posted by: Jupiter | September 12, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

All those planted Lola's suggestions (coming one right after another, making them very suspicious) has made me vow never to frequent that place. How annoying!

Posted by: Are you kidding | September 12, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Lavender Moon Cupcakery in Alexandria is brand new and is about 47 times better than CakeLove. Tasty cakes, not-too-heavy icing and delicious twists like peanut butter mousse or Mexican chocolate pudding fillings! I love how fired up everyone is about this topic.

Posted by: AEM | September 12, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm the owner of Lola's. I want to thank all of our wonderful, loyal customers who have said kind things about our cupcakes.

I mentioned the Post's Cupcake Wars in my weekly e-mail, which prompted some comments.

For those who think the comments are biased or bogus, check out other reviews like: http://delleicious.blogspot.com/2008/09/lola.html, or

Or, of course, come judge for yourself.

Posted by: Lola | September 12, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I am at college, i could really use one of those cupcakes, from pastries of randolph :/

Posted by: Nathan | September 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

im at college right now, i could really use one of those great cupcakes from pastries by randolph

Posted by: wusuPz | September 12, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I still haven't met a cupcake that can compete with Magnolia Bakery in NYC. But I don't mind doing some more research!

Posted by: DR | September 12, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Leap on out to Lola's for that coconut, carrot cake, milk chocolate cupcake craving... Rachel Ray has even found the best baked goods around.
Leslie

Posted by: Leslie | September 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake of course!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

CakeLove = gross
Hello = gross

Buzz = good
Baked/Wired = good

Posted by: Piven | September 12, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I hosted a chocolate cupcake tasting last week and Hello Cupcake won by a landslide, beating out Georgetown Cupcake, Cakelove, Buzz, Lavender Moon, and Just Cakes. Hello Cupcake was by far the most chocolatey with the best consistency. As for the non-chocolate variety, the caramel apple cupcake from Georetown Cupcake was the favorite.

Posted by: CL | September 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

One of the links posted by Lola above is broken. This one should work: http://delleicious.blogspot.com/2008/09/lola.html -- it's a review of Lola's cupcakes by the DC cupcake blog mentioned in the original Post story.

Posted by: Laurence | September 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

(to the bridge over kwai theme) buzz buzz. Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz...

Posted by: jbster | September 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Georgetowncupcake...the best in the Washington Dc area.

Posted by: giuppy | September 12, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

BakeshopDC !!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Baked & Wired are the highest quality for certain but GTCC are also delish...

Posted by: Jennifer | September 12, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Buzz has the best - by far!

Posted by: The Truth | September 12, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Buzz Bakery = Guiness cupcake = YUM!!!!

Posted by: mediajunky | September 12, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Pastries by Randolph has the best cupcakes evverrr!!!!!

I could really eat one right about now. My mouth is watering just by thinking about them.

Posted by: secret | September 12, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

LOLA CUPCAKES take the cake, hands down!
There is a special secret that she does that I have not seen in other "cuppies"
Not telling, either.!!!

Posted by: MG | September 12, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

You have not tasted a genuine cupcake until you have tasted Baltimore Cupcake
cupcakes. Very most and the freshest buttercream you will ever taste. The very very best.

Posted by: Trish | September 12, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

There is not another cupcake that can compare to Baltimore Cupcake's. The yummiest cupcake you will ever taste. So moist and they have so many flavors. I have tried most of them and they are absolutely delicious. Try one and you will keep going back for more and more like I have.

Posted by: Helen | September 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake has the best tasting cupcakes.
Obviously the votes indicate people like variety ie from big to small portions, from dense to light density, from too sweet to hardly any sweetness in the frosting.
For me, the best come from Georgetown Cupcake. They look adorable and taste so good. To describe how good, I quote from Georgetown Cupcake's amazing web-site:
"Bliss baked daily, Happiness in the palm of your hand, Joy never tasted so good"

Posted by: Donna | September 13, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Lola's in Leesburg could win a "cupcake throwdown" or a "cookie throwdown" or a "muffin throwdown" or a "scone throwdown", or a "most adorable bakery throwdown"....it's definitely a gem! No competition for miles!!!!

Posted by: SeanM | September 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown Cupcake bakes the best cupcakes in the Washington DC area.

Posted by: Cathy | September 13, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

DR WROTE:

I still haven't met a cupcake that can compete with Magnolia Bakery in NYC.
------------------
AMEN. Unfortunately, nothing in DC compares to Magnolia. But if I had to choose a second best, I'd give that shout out to Georgetown Cupcake.

ANOTHER AMEN about Cake Love. Their stuff has been too dry, too expensive, for too long. A dear friend associates Butter Crisco to their frosting. I agree.

Peace.

Posted by: kate | September 13, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I used to wow my family with cupcakes made at home from scratch. We visited a few places to compare. Georgetown Cupcake is best. I love the moist texture of the cupcake and the delicious frosting. The kids get to choose their favorite flavors and the size is perfect for a tasty treat.

Posted by: Ana | September 13, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Our family serves cupcakes from DC Bakeshop on my husband's great grandmother's Haviland china. These cupcakes are worth it. My husband says they are "deeply satisfying."

Posted by: RJ | September 13, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Desserts by Gerard are awful. We've had several in the office. The frosting tastes like bad CoolWhip. Don't go there!

Posted by: Cupcake Lover | September 13, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Best Buns in Shirlington!

Posted by: Cupcake Joe | September 13, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake makes an amazing Vegan cupcake. I couldn't believe how terrific it was.

Posted by: Ken | September 13, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Coconut cupcakes at Lola's are amazing! Can only compare it to the one I ate at Hello Cupcake, which was a complete disappointment really...and overpriced too!

Posted by: Kay K | September 13, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

georgetown cupcakes are simply the best in the whole entire world. if i was a cupcake i would want to be a georgetown cupcake because they taste so delicious.

Posted by: Howard Chang | September 13, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

When i bite into a georgetown cupcake, I feel like I am flying to a fantasy planet inhabited by oompa loompas and other various pygmy species. my favorite cupcake is the lemon berry cupcake because it is very colurful and tastes just so good. my mom says that I can keep on having cupcakes until I reach the age when my metabolism starts slowing down.

Posted by: Marjory | September 13, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Hello cupcakes are extremely dry. The frosting sucks and Safeway and Giant make better cupcakes. Close your doors now and save yourselves some money. Georgetown Cupcakes are the best. Maybe they can take over Hello Cupcakes lease so we can get decent cupcakes in Dupont Circle

Posted by: cw | September 14, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Best Buns in Shirlington.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are still buying Georgetown Cupcake's act! There are at least four others on the list that are twice as good. Baked and Wired for me, but if I'm in Virginia it's good to know Randolph and Buzz are there for emergencies.

Posted by: Cupcake Jim | September 14, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I am still and will continue to buy Georgetown Cupcake's mouth watering, fantastic cupcakes. Cupcake Jim, it's not an act. They are real...real good and a lot of happy people come back for more.

Posted by: Bill | September 14, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Best Buns' cupcakes are fantastic! They need to be on the evaluation list. I just tried their cupcakes for the first time yesterday and I ended up going back for seconds today! Chocolate + cream cheese + coconut = YUM!!!
Chocolate + toffee icing = rocks my world! :)

Posted by: Mrs. Vino | September 14, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Please, please -- Incredible Edibles in Reston Town Center has the absolutely best cupcakes I've ever eaten! They too need to be on the evaluation list. Wonderful flavors, wonderful textures.

Posted by: carlene | September 14, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

You've missed the best cupcakes in the DC Metro area - Edibles Incredible Desserts in the Reston Town Center!!! These cakes are moist and dense with incredible flavor! You have to try them!

Posted by: Amy | September 14, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

If I had to do my own ranking I would think Buzz would easily be #1 of the ones I have tried. Hello Cupcake, Sticky Fingers and CakeLove just aren't on the same level. Georgetown was kind of pricy and I think was way over-rated.

Buzz
Baked & Wired
Georgetown Cupcake
Lavender Moon Cupcakery
Hello Cupcake
CakeLove
Sticky Fingers

????
Just Cakes
Sweet Christina's
Pastries by Randolph
Furin's
Baltimore Cupcake

Posted by: Southeasterner | September 15, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore Cupcakes all the way! Excellent wedding cakes gorgeous presentation and not scarificing on taste!!!!

Posted by: liz | September 15, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Baltmore Best is HORRIBLE. I tried their Bailey's Truffle cake and it was WET with nasty, greasy icing. I will never go back.

Posted by: mochajava | September 15, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

What about the cupcakes at Chatman's D'Vine Bakery and Cafe????? They have the best cupcakes! The chocolate/chocolate---YUMMY!!!

Posted by: April | September 15, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Cupcake Heaven in Haymarket, VA..... It is worth the trip... There is great staff as too.. Where everybody knows your name, and your beverage.. :)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

In fact...all this talk about cupcakes and I can't just sit here any longer. I am headed to Buzz right after this. My favorites are either the Buzz coffee cupcake or the chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. To die for!

Posted by: I Love Buzz!!! | September 15, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry all you Hello Haters, but HC has THE. BEST. carrot cake cupcakes in town (24 carat) - moist, dense, extremely flavorful and seriously rich icing that's not too sweet. They're even good on Day 2!! Their triple coconut is to die for ... and their chocolate cake ... stop, I think I need a moment to collect myself. Just. Too. Good. YAY HC!!!

Posted by: SHH | September 16, 2008 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Are most of these places metro accessible? I agree with cupcake fool. This is a DC area contest which to me means within the metro accessible areas of DC/VA/MD.

I've tried Sticky Fingers, CakeLove, Georgetown Cupcake, and Baked & Wired. Out of all the cupcakes Baked & Wired was consistently the best. Their cupcakes are moist and the frosting is sweet, but not too sweet. The ratio of cupcake to frosting is perfect as well. Georgetown Cupcake is overrated. Their cupcakes are dry even compared to CakeLove's.

Furin's is also amazing. I didn't try the cupcake but their yellow cake with chocolate frosting reminds me of the Italian bakeries I grew up with in New York and New Jersey. It's easy to offer exotic combinations, but if you can do a classic yellow cake and chocolate frosting combo and still impress that's the mark of a good bakery.

Posted by: Kat | September 16, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Kat is right. Baked and Wired's cupcakes are consistently the best. Always absolutely moist and yummy.

Posted by: pepe | September 16, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown is cheating... everyone knows their cupcakes taste like overpriced pieces of crap.

Posted by: Me | September 16, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

my favorite cupcake flavor is red velvet, and hands down, georgetown cupcake wins over all the others...including baked & wired. if you're a B&W'd fan, i found the bakery's carrot cake cupcake to be STELLAR. i'm serving them at my wedding rehearsal dinner. my "cupcake" devoured 3 in one sitting. i guess he's a fat kid who loves (cup)cakes, too.

Posted by: Fat Kid who loves (Cup)cakes | September 16, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I've tried Cakelove, Buzz, and Ms. Chatman's.

Cakelove's cupcakes and cakes are dry and overpriced - no! ...go for the chicken salad instead...

Buzz's cakes are far better than Cakelove's - and cheaper - YES!

Ms. Chatman's cupcakes are better than Buzz's cupcakes and Cakelove - hands down!

Posted by: LaTanya - Favorite Food Group: Cake | September 16, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

PASTRIES BY RANDOLPH!!!!

not only are there cupcakes soooo delicious, they have amazing desserts like french pastries! definitely try them out!

Posted by: fstfwrd | September 16, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

To the "jealous, cupcake shop basher...who keeps repeating the last word in his/her first sentence onto the next line....I say: STOP IT!!!!
Chill....go to Georgetown Cupcake and all the other ones you slammed and then VOTE for your favorite CUPCAKE. If you still want to make a comment, at least preview it first. You may find that writing a bashing comment only reflect on you...so.. if you wish, write a positive one of your "best tasting cupcake".

Posted by: Lenny | September 16, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

To those who have fallen prey to the cupcake craze in Washington:

I am not a huge fan of baked goods and must admit that I have not tried the cupcakes at any of the bakeries being rated in this series. However, as a student of journalism and business, let me say this: The Washington Post wouldn't even be running this six week special if it weren't for the fact that Georgetown Cupcake burst onto the scene and spawned a wave of copycats. The other bakeries being reviewed should be thanking Georgetown Cupcake for the sudden onslaught of attention, as well as increased sales, and the Washington Post food editors should be thanking Georgetown Cupcake for mobilizing a new wave of readership.

As for who has the best cupcakes, I'll have to come in from MD and make the rounds, but if Georgetown Cupcake can single-handedly generate such intense attention, both positive and negative, then their cupcake must be good!

Posted by: md_journalist | September 17, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

I love BUZZ but how could you POSSIBLY do this contest without Bittersweet Cafe in Alexandria? Their cupcakes are the best-so many original flavors-and they are gigantic! They have been on the cupcake trend for much longer than most.

Posted by: Robin Kershner | September 17, 2008 7:33 AM | Report abuse

For me, the best cupcakes in Washington begin and end with Georgetown Cupcake. We always order them for our office parties because we can order them in any quantity, with any of the flavors available that day, and because they deliver! They can even do custom colors and decorations. The key limes always get snatched up first, then the red velvet. And the new caramel apple is simply amazing.

In response to the comment posted by md-journalist, don't be such a cynic! I agree that Georgetown Cupcake is the standard-bearer, but give the Washington Post a little credit. The food editors are running the series because it's fun and they certainly don't owe anything to any bakery. The current cupcake craze may have been started by Georgetown Cupcake, but the story is newsworthy in and of itself. Try the caramel apple and you'll understand!

Posted by: anonymous_fed | September 17, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Best Buns in Shirlington are the best I've tasted so far. Chococolate with peanut butter frosting and chocolate with coconut frosting -- delicious!!

Posted by: Susannah | September 17, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

CELIACS and people allergic to wheat - take note! In addition to all the other daily varieties, Hello Cupcake features a GLUTEN FREE cupcake every day!

Posted by: Marshall | September 17, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I've always been a big fan of BUZZ. I finally tried Georgetown Cupcake because of all the hype this weekend, but wasn't as impressed. Frosting was top notch, but the cake, fairly basic. I also tried the new Hello Cupcake! recently and those were absolutely fantastic and definitely better than Georgetown Cupcake. Excellent execution on all fronts!

Posted by: Melody | September 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cupcake Heaven in Haymarket is by FAR the best cupcakes we have ever had. Why are they not on this list?!?!?!? Not gonna find the best til you try the best.

Posted by: Hawaiian Ryan | September 17, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Cupcake Heaven in Haymarket, va has the best cupcakes i've ever tasted. The cupcakes and frosting are made fresh daily and are so moist i can't get enough of them...THEY NEED TO BE ON THIS LIST :)

Posted by: Tamara | September 17, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Best cupcakes I've had in the area are Bittersweet in Alexandria. You cannot beat the price and size...their carrot cupcakes are to die for and I have seen them making them from scratch from the bakery windows - and I mean peeling tons of carrots. Disappointed the Post neglected them in the wars, maybe round 2?

Posted by: Fiona | September 17, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So, why have you not listed Best Buns in Shirlington? They have the best cupcakes in the area by far.

Posted by: eSnaffu | September 17, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Cupcake's Cupcakes in Reston are amazing. I've tried a couple and they are soooo good. My favorite was the cinnamon streusel. Fabulous. The only thing is she doesn't have a storefront. Her business is currently being run out her her home and she delivers her products fresh. But they're SO GOOD. If you need excellent delivered cupcakes in NoVa, order from here.

Posted by: Anne | September 17, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

helllooooo people

this is best cupcakes in DC! i don't think shirlington, reston, or baltimore makes the cut...

Posted by: Marie | September 17, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Cakes Plus in Laurel - the vanilla/vanilla are sweet and moist with the best buttercream frosting there is.

Posted by: Stacey | September 17, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Cake Plus in Laurel - The best cupcakes in the Washington Metropolitan Area. It is worth the trip around the beltway to purchase. Very moist, very good, YUM!

Posted by: Renea | September 17, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Hollin hall pastry-best cupcakes

Posted by: lea shuba | September 17, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

BakeshopDC.com has the best cupcakes, all these other ones are good but not great. I have had them all. Baker Justin Stegall is operating on a plane of cupcake existence that is unholy, ungodly, the taste and texture is downright sinful. check out his site and see what I mean.

Posted by: Kareem Kirdassi | October 8, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired makes the absolute best cupcakes to be had! The cake is moist and the crumbs are large. The frosting is a perfect balance of sweet and salt. Try the chocolate cupcake with Peanut Butter frosting for a delightful trip down memory lane!

Posted by: Wanda | October 8, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

try cheesecake factory's vanilla bean cupcake! now that is some nice icing.

Posted by: sal | October 9, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I was disappointed by the cupcakes at Cakelove. I live in Silver Spring, but will travel all the way to Georgetown to pick up those little bits of heaven from Georgetown Cupcake! The best I have tasted hands down!

Posted by: Dianne | October 9, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore Cupcake Co. is THE BEST! Just like cupcakes from your childhood. I have been wishing/hoping/praying for a location closer to D.C.

Posted by: Betsy | October 14, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore Cupcake is the best. Hands down. Their Malted Milk ball cupcake is AMAZING!

Posted by: Cal | October 14, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown cupcake is AMAZING! Not only are both the vanilla and chocolate cakes sweet and moist, but the frosting is to die for (especially the cream-cheese vanilla).

Posted by: allison | October 14, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Couture Cupcakes? Why arent they listed? They are the best I have had. Cake Love was awful, Hello Cupcake, not so much, but Couture Cupcakes' red velvet is a DREAM!

Posted by: Maggie | October 14, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Hello Cupcake has the best cupcakes in the area bar none! I should know, I've tried them all. The Chococo and You Tart are to die for!!!

Posted by: Susan | October 15, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Each Wednesday I am so excited to open the Food Section and find that perfect cupcake. So far it does not seem as if you are having much luck. I can make a recommendation.........my coworker and dear friend Donna Perry. She only bakes for friends and family but she is a professional and is in the wrong business. She truly should open a bakery. Anything she bakes is delicious !! Would you be interested in trying one of her cupcakes? I would love for you to contact us and I guarantee you would finally say I have found a cupcake that is perfection. In the meantime I consider myself very fortunate to sit beside her and enjoy the treats. I wonder what I will get tomorrow.

Posted by: Terry Gastfield | October 15, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Baked and Wired's strawberry cupcake (which is actually more like a vanilla cupcake with real chunks of strawberry) is the best cupcake I've ever had. Hand's down.

Posted by: jessica | October 15, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Buzz is the neighborhood hero, hands down best cupcakes

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Come on everyone, admit it, cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcake are a perfect "10". Georgetown Cupcake's customers, like me, appreciate how adorable, moist and downright heavenly the cupcakes are...so much that we are willing to patiently wait in line for them. Totally worth it! Check out Georgetown Cupcake and let your senses convince you.

Posted by: Lou | October 17, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Not only do Georgetown Cupcakes TASTE like cupcakes I could never bake myself, but they also LOOK like cupcakes I could never make myself. They get my vote.

(Some of the other competitors look like they used a butcher knife to ice theirs.)

Posted by: ten-below | October 22, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Cakes Plus in Laurel, MD, has the best cupcakes ever. The cake is silky smooth and moist and the buttercream icing is to die for.... I have taken them to work and had non-cupcake lovers enjoy them immensely. On Saturdays, the cupcake line is almost out of the door.

Posted by: Sonia4071 | October 22, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

For the final round, testers, please make sure you try Baked & Wired's strawberry cupcakes - many of us find them to be the best cupcakes around, even better than Baked & Wired's other excellent varieties!

Posted by: thethe62 | October 22, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Chatman's D'Vine Bakery has the best Strawberry Cupcakes ever! The smell will capture you and on the first bite the cake melts in mouth....then the surprise.....there are strawberry bits in the cake. They are De-lish. I order mine without frosting, now I ask you how many cupcakes can stand up to the test of total satisfaction without the frosting. Please add them to your list they got my vote!

Posted by: wyvongela | October 22, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I will be the first to nominate GetLitCakes.com. There's something so delectable about a lemon drop cupcake...the batter and icing are made with a lemon liqueur and the result is extremely moist and divine. This woman knows her business and even delivers. Anyone who enjoys a twist on pastries and anyone who dares to call themselves a true lover of cupcakes should step up to the "plate" and nibble on some of this goodness.

Posted by: toxictriolet | October 23, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

From Georgetown Cupcake, to Hello Cupcake...I have tried all the DC hot spots for cupcakes and I was disappointed to find that not one really got my taste buds motivated. Although I appreciated the coffee house feel of baked and wired, and the view of DuPont Circle at Hello Cupcake...I would rather sacrifice any store front, even if it were on a quiet street in Paris; just to have a cupcake from Cup of Yumm. These cupcakes put all others to shame. Not only are Cup of Yumm cupcakes moist, they are delicious, the icing you just want to keep licking from your fingers, and most of all every bite gets better and better. A friend tipped me off to these cupcakes that are available via their website, or by phone. You get the best service and the best product, for any occasion. You so have to check it out. www.cupofyumm.com

Posted by: owenspro | October 29, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I love going to Georgetown Cupcakes because it reminds me of going to a little bakery in Paris. The staff at the GTCupcake is much friendlier than those in Paris, however, and the cupcakes are unsurpassed in both their chic, perfect appearance and their flavor. The idea of having delivery available for a flat rate inside the beltway is superb; my favorite is the coconut with the choc3 a close runnerup. I even sleep in their T shirt.

Posted by: XajMom | October 30, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse