Posted at 12:12 PM ET, 11/ 4/2008

9:30 Club Bargains, Tomorrow Morning

By David Malitz

Can you kick it? Yes, you can, and two-for-one style, at that. (By Kyle Gustafson/For The Washington Post)

Once you get your fill of Election Day freebies -- coffee from Starbucks, a donut from Krispy Kreme, a taco from California Tortilla, etc. -- there's still another bargain to be had. The 9:30 club is offering an Election Hangover Special on Wednesday morning from 10-11 a.m. During that hour it's "buy one, get one free" for every 9:30 club show. There's a two free ticket limit per show and all orders must be made online -- so you are still subject to the exorbitant fees that Tickets.com levies. Combine that "service charge" with the club's already lofty ticket prices and it's not quite the deal of the century, but still offers a chance for bargain hunters to catch some shows on the cheap. So what shows should you be looking at? A few of us have some opinions on the matter.

Lavanya Ramanathan votes for the Q-Tip show on Nov. 30. "Only because Q-Tip played all of the best A Tribe Called Quest stuff for his own set at Rock the Bells, and my guess is he'll do the same for this show, though you'll probably have to suffer through "Vivrant Thing." Plus, with the Cool Kids on the bill, if a Democrat wins the election it will feel like 1992 all over again."

In addition to the Q-Tip show, Fritz also likes Loretta Lynn (Dec. 6), Sondre Lerche (Nov. 24) and Fort Knox Five (Nov. 14), "because FK5 is local, and it's nice to see a local album release show at the 9:30."

For a promotion like this, I think you may as well go for the priciest shows, especially since the service charges are the same whether the ticket is $15 or $50. With that in mind, Loretta Lynn show and Ray Davies (Dec. 8) look to be the best bets. Lynn is true country music royalty and Davies was the frontman for one of the greatest bands ever, the Kinks. At $55 and $40 a pop I'd be hesitant, but at half the price, those shows look a whole lot more intriguing.

There's still no promotion that will make those Dan Band or Ghostland Observatory shows appealing, though.

By David Malitz  | November 4, 2008; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  Music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and Easy Events
Next: Rock the Vote, Get Free Stuff

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Has anyone tried buying tickets this morning? I've tried several times to buy two tickets but the price stays the same...

Posted by: susannajoy | November 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I tried too and same thing. I'm guessing if I buy just 1 ticket that a second comes with it (buy 1 get 1 free). But I don't know...

Posted by: wahoohome | November 5, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks like there's some info on the 9:30 Club forum, but I'm unable to register to get access to it.

Posted by: susannajoy | November 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

thanks. if you find out anything else , post here...

Posted by: wahoohome | November 5, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

ok, i just bought the 1 ticket. hope a 2nd comes with it!

Posted by: wahoohome | November 5, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Finally got through to the 9:30 forum and it looks like Tickets.com include a second ticket if your order was processed between 10 and 11 today. There's no indication of this on the 9:30 Web site or confirmation on Tickets.com, so keep your fingers crossed that it will actually happen. I didn't want to risk buying only one ticket to a show, or pay for two tickets full price, so I didn't get anything. 9:30 really could have handled this a lot better.

Posted by: susannajoy | November 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I agree, I didn't see a free ticket show up when I added something to the cart so I didn't buy.

Posted by: Djlethal01 | November 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse