Posted at 12:53 PM ET, 03/19/2009

Buzzer-Beater in Arlington

By Fritz Hahn

The first buzzer-beater of March Madness has arrived: A branch of Velocity Five, the upscale sports bar chain, opened in Arlington on Tuesday night, just in time for the NCAA tournament.

Taking the place of King Street Blues in the Courthouse Plaza development, Velocity Five copies its sister restaurants' focus on large high-definition screens and great wings. There are 30 TVs throughout the building -- 10 of those can be found in the bar alone. (If you can, try to score one of the three booths in the bar with their own mid-sized flat-screen.)

I was hoping for more of the "urban steakhouse" look that characterizes the Velocity Five in Falls Church -- leather couches, lighter touches -- but this one is all dark wood, with most of the space given over to a dining room filled with large booths. Autographed Redskins photos hang in the bar area -- no surprise, given that owner Jim Speros was a coach on the Super Bowl-winning 1982 Redskins team.

There's a covered patio for when the weather's nice; a TV is positioned so it can be seen from most of the tables.

Velocity Five makes some of my favorite wings around, and the new kitchen doesn't disappoint: the Island Wings, dry-rubbed with spices that tang but don't burn, and the crispy southern-fried Velocity Wings shine with a spicy sauce. (You can get wings the traditional way or a boneless version for a couple bucks more.) The draft beer list is nothing special -- Bass, Pilsner Urquell, some domestics -- but it's affordable, with beers priced at $4 or $5 outside of the daily happy hour.

I was told that the restaurant will be open for all tournament games, and there will be specials offered, but as of last night, those hadn't been finalized.

-- Fritz

By Fritz Hahn  | March 19, 2009; 12:53 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Best of a 'Superstar'
Next: Free and Easy Events

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

while I will miss the cheap happy hour Guinness at the King St. Blues, I look forward to see what happy hour specials there are since its right on my way home! thanks for the update, I saw the sign up earlier this week and wondered what the dilly-yo was!

Posted by: spaganya | March 19, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

$4-5 a beer? I would say "expensive" is a better adjective for those prices. I knows it's become pretty common this area, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a rip off.

Posted by: dugly2ugly | March 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

dugly2ugly, I can think of a number of bars within walking distance where $4 for a Pilsner Urquell or $5 for a Guinness would almost be considered happy hour.

But yeah, for "cheap" beer in the Clarendon corridor, you don't beat Jay's.

Posted by: Fritz Hahn | March 19, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"$4-5 a beer? I would say "expensive" is a better adjective for those prices."

Are you, by any chance, wearing overalls and chewing a wheat straw?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 19, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse