Live From Opening Day
Today is Opening Day at Nationals Park, so I
called in sick decided it would be a great idea to spend the day twittering. I'll be checking out bars and restaurants with pre- and post-game specials, exploring the beer-and-food situation inside the stadium, and watching the Nats clobber the Philllies (fingers crossed). I'll be updating this page throughout the day, probably starting around 1:30 p.m., or whenever I make it to the first bar.
* Pandering to Philles fans seems to be working. The accents on the Metro are unmistakable. Maybe the game will sell out after all. 1:54 p.m.
* Temperatures are a touch brisk, so it's not too surprising that Union Pub's patio is deserted. Come back later: $3 house pints from 5 to close. 2:16 p.m.
* First time for everything: no line at Good Stuff. Also, Cap Lounge opened early. 1/2 price pizzas, beer specials all day. 2:35 p.m.
* WJFK is live at the Pour House. Miller Lite specials: $3 bottles, $10 pitchers. Not bad, but i'm heading to the Tune Inn. Best DC dive. 2:53 p.m.
* Left field beer stands are already out of drafts. Still no sign of promised beer upgrades after half a dozen stands. 3:41 p.m.
* I think my little league team played better defense than the Nats. In other news, vendors now hawk 16 oz cans of Heineken in the stands. 4:02 p.m.
* Please tell me that someone made a horrible mistake and Adam Dunn's at-bat song is NOT "In the Air Tonight." 4:08 p.m.
* Fans behind us reporting right field concession stands are "out of sausages, hot dogs and everything." 4:13 p.m.
* Expecting good beer in the red loft? Think again. Blue Moon, Peroni and Leinie's is as good as it gets. Whither Arrogant Bastard & Dogfish? 5:31 p.m.
* Screech trying to parody the "Weapon of Choice" video on the scoreboard. It is an abomination. What would Walken twitter about this? 5:37 p.m.
* Heading to Barracks Row after the game? Ugly Mug and Molly Malone's have golf cart shuttles running. Saw both at 1st and N SE. 6:25 p.m.
* Circulators few and far between. People are not happy. Might be a good time to walk. 6:28 p.m.
* Molly Malone's has good atmosphere and good beer specials, but is standing room only. Two carts keep ferrying fans from the game. 7:03 p.m.
* Best beer lineup: the new selection at Matchbox. Brooklyner Weisse, Gaffel Kolsch, Delirium, Chimay, Rogue, Bell's, Great Divide porter ... 8:17 p.m.
| April 13, 2009; 1:23 PM ET
Categories: Bars and Clubs, Restaurants
Save & Share: Previous: Free and Easy Events
Next: Do You Realize the Flaming Lips Are Playing a Free Show on Sunday??
The comments to this entry are closed.