Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 12:34 PM ET, 06/12/2009

Mio Loses Its Top Toque

By Tom Sietsema

Chef Nicholas Stefanelli and restaurateur Manuel Iguina are parting ways at Mio, both men confirmed today.

They point to the recession as the reason. According to Iguina, business at the downtown restaurant was down 50 percent in April and May. "I want to do 100 lunches a day instead of 30," he says. To that end, the restaurateur has already made his once-trendy menu more accessible, by putting on grilled chicken and chile-braised short ribs.

Stefanelli, 29, came to Mio with a strong resume (he previously cooked at the now-closed, four-star Maestro) and high hopes for offering sophisticated fare. "I'm upset," he says. "A lot of work went into it." Yet both men say the split is amicable. "I want to see Mio succeed," says the chef, who is exploring "a few good opportunities here and there."

Meantime, Iguina has recruited a few food friends to help out in the kitchen. "I'm going to take my time" hiring someone to take Stefanelli's spot, he says.

-- Tom Sietsema



By Tom Sietsema  | June 12, 2009; 12:34 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants  | Tags:  Tom Sietsema  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Got Plans? Redux: Balmer Dining
Next: Happy Hour Recap: A Shore Thing at Freddie's

 
Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company