Posted at 10:34 AM ET, 07/10/2009

Happy Hour Recap

By Anne Kenderdine

We all got a bit of the golden touch in the sunshine. (Dakota Fine)

Last night's happy hour on the rooftop of BLT Steak was far and away our favorite yet. It was our biggest -- and highest -- space, it drew big crowds on a perfect night weather-wise and our accommodating hosts let us keep the party going until well after dark while Fritz's iPod kept the tunes going.

We gave away two prizes last night -- $100 gift certificates to BLT Steak and CommonWealth -- and today's prize goes to Emily Freilich. Emily wins two nights at the Bellmoor Inn in Rehoboth Beach, Del. Congratulations, Emily -- we'll be in touch with you to get you the goods.

There's one more summer month to win that awesome prize: join us at our August happy hour on another rooftop at Clarendon Ballroom.

More of Dakota Fine's photos from BLT Steak after the jump.

-- Anne

By Anne Kenderdine  | July 10, 2009; 10:34 AM ET
Categories:  Events, Free and Cheap
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Got Plans? Redux: The Breakup
Next: 'Titus X': Completely Bloody Insane

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Fritz! I loved the tunes. What was the album you were playing at around 6:30 with the funky instrumental covers? I want it. Thanks for a great night, GOGs!

Posted by: aesully | July 10, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like it was a good time. Too bad I couldn't wait the required time to get in. If you were already on the roof, you no doubt were unable to see the ridiculously long line to get into BLT. From the elevator, outside, into the street, and back onto the sidewalk. I gave up after a half hour, and I wasn't the only one doing so. I'm glad your events are so popular, but something should be done to better accommodate all the folks who wanted to get in but didn't feel like waiting from 6:15 until 7:30 to get into an event where the specials were due to be over at 8. I fear your events might become like the place Yogi Berra referred to when he said, "The place is so crowded, nobody goes there." Sorry I missed out.

Posted by: spam64 | July 10, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"something should be done to better accommodate all the folks who wanted to get in but didn't feel like waiting"

Something is getting done ... you get to read about it the next day.

I waited in line & it was worth the wait. I was chatting with other people in line & I'm not even sure how long I waited because the line moved quickly. The food was gone by the time I got upstairs, but I still made it in time for the drink specials & it continued past 8.

This is the first GOG HH I've been to, but I plan on attending all of them from now on.

Posted by: LadeM | July 10, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

aesully, it wasn't an album -- I was just spinning songs from various CDs and albums that I've collected over the years. If you remember what song it was, I can probably help.

Also, to back up a previous commenter, the drink specials were still going when I left after 9, and dozens of people were still hanging out on the roof.

Posted by: Fritz_Hahn | July 10, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I wasn’t impressed and left disappointed.

The wait/line to get to the roof was waaayyy to long. It took about an hour for my friend and I to get to the rooftop. (There was even a line to leave the rooftop.) I agree with Spam64 that the event should have been planned better. There was no food present when we arrived on the roof and the beverage/drink lines were extremely long. And for a two hour event, please help me understand why I didn’t even see evidence of food. I saw bits of popcorn left in a bowl, but where was the succulent stuff mushrooms, famous popovers, mini grilled cheese sandwiches, and beef? The liquor was flowing - drinks in almost every hand....but no food to put in their stomachs? Are we to believe that food ran out within the first hour of the event? How can this be if the event was only supposed to last two hours and the majority of the people waited in line for about an hour? How does that happen? There appeared to be four tables, which meant that after standing in line for an hour, you were destined to stand for another hour unless you were fortunate enough to get a seat. And I saw women there with really high heels on shifting their weight from one leg to another (I know their feet were hurting).

I just expected more from the Washington Post, as it is a highly respectable newspaper. Some hospitality should have been shown to patrons supporting this event. Even if someone periodically came through the crowd and apologized for the wait, and explained that we were waiting for the elevator; if someone brought appetizers/drinks throughout the crowd downstairs, that would have been made us feel welcome, appreciated and that our waiting wasn't in vain.

I believed the hype. I was truly truly disappointed and expected a lot more from a Washington Post event. I’ve been to picnics better organized than what I attended last night. Like the gentleman I met in line said, “I doubt I’ll come to another event – I expected a lot more and this certainly wasn’t worth my time.”

I certainly wish GOG the best. And I hope that you plan for next months rooftop Happy Hour better than you did yesterday’s event.

Posted by: praze4hym | July 10, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with others that I was disappointed, mostly with the lack of food advertised. Myself and another woman figured that the way to grab one of the waiters carrying trays was to wait by the back when they came out from the kitchen. Even then, you could only grab morsels of what tasted to be very fine food, but not enough to balance the drinks. This was my first GOG HH and was excited since I work close by and loved the rooftop view idea. I was lucky enough to get there by 6 and ONLY had to wait in line 30 minutes to get up, important because I was going to Wolf Trap that night and planned to leave by 7. I ended up leaving even before then because I couldn't justify buying another drink. Still luv youse guys and someone pointed out Stephanie and Rhome (both very cute/hip BTW) but it would be nice if the Gurus (like Fritz!) could be ID'd being the rock stars you are. Hope better planning for Clarendon Ballroom and all the best!

Posted by: sandrags | July 11, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

While the event was a nice idea, it needed to be better organized. The main problem with the unreasonable line length had to do with the fact that only ONE elevator was going up at a time. Why, when there were at least 5 others available? If all of the elevators had been running, there would have been no line.

I also agree with other posts about the food. I don't know if the planners seriously underestimated the number of attendees or what, but there was NO food to be had. After waiting in such a loooong line afer a loooong work day, I was hungry and ready to nosh -- the lack of food was very disappointing.

I had a bunch of friends from all over the DC metro area show up, only to turn away due to the long line. I felt badly that I invited them to an event that ended up being more hassle than fun.

Next time, I'll head to one of the other many rooftop bars in DC, and spring for the appetizers.

Posted by: greeneyedgirl | July 12, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for telling us what you thought. We hear you on the disappearing food -- most of us never got anything to eat, either, and we saw how fast it evaporated. It looked like some people saw us as their full dinner and filled up accordingly, to the detriment of others. Our event wasn't supposed to be a free dinner. It's just a happy hour -- with happy hour-sized portions on offer -- and one that has plenty of other attractions.

I think the combination of great weather and a great venue meant it took longer to get upstairs. We did have four bars set up on the roof and we had multiple people working downstairs to help the line keep moving as fast as possible. That said, we learn a lot at every event we host, and we're looking forward to the next one. Do come join at Clarendon Ballroom on August 13 -- another rooftop, but a different scene.

Posted by: annekenderdine | July 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse