Posted at 1:19 PM ET, 08/ 4/2009

Nicaro Reopens: Same Name, Very Different Place

By Julia Beizer

Silver Spring's Nicaro restaurant reopened today, under new management and with a new executive chef at the helm. Luis E. Martinez, a veteran of restaurants like Potomac Grill, Red Rock Canyon, the Cheesecake Factory and McCormick & Schmick's, and his team have taken the reins of the restaurant, which was previously run by chef Pedro Matamoros until his iteration of Nicaro closed on July 5.

"People who know food tell me I have big shoes to fill," said Martinez. The restaurant will now offer fusion cuisine, drawing on European flavors along with Latin and Cajun accents. "I try to make it so you can get a different texture in every bite," says the chef, 48. General Manager Anthony Talavera says the restaurant will reach out to the neighborhood with deals like $5 martinis on Wednesday and half-priced bottles on wine on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Expect live music nights to come in the near future.

As Tom Sietsema reported in a recent online discussion, Matamoros is moving to another location: 8407 at 8407 Ramsey Ave. in Silver Spring. Partner Nancy Mola says that she and Matamoros are working on the design and menu of the new restaurant and hope to open in October, pending permitting approval. In the meantime, fans of Matamoros can check out the Silver Spring FreshFarm market for a taste of his cooking. Dates aren't yet finalized for his future appearances at the market, but Mola says they'll add those dates to the 8407 Web site when they are.

-- Julia

By Julia Beizer  | August 4, 2009; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and Easy
Next: Nightlife Agenda

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

The title of this post makes it sound like Nicaro is in a new location ("very different place") rather than being a very different restaurant in the same location. At least I think it's the same location. After reading this 3 times, I am still not 100% sure.

Posted by: SweetieJ | August 4, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for any confusion. A restaurant named Nicaro will open in the same location as the old Nicaro, but is not affiliated with the old restaurant named Nicaro.

Posted by: Julia Beizer | August 4, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Julia, have you heard any specifics about the new menu? The info so far definitely sounds like it's going to be a whole new taste. I am so sad to lose Nicaro's crabcake with succotash; it was the best succotash I've had since moving north years ago. But I'll definitely give the new place a shot, if only because Silver Spring certainly doesn't suffer from an overdose of nice independent restaurants.

Posted by: ladylily | August 4, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it Red Rock Canyon Grill?

Posted by: chiquita2 | August 5, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

ladylily, I don't have any menu specifics, but I'd definitely expect a whole new taste.

Posted by: Julia Beizer | August 6, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I hope the new Nicaro has some vegetarian and vegan options. The old place was nice as far as it went, but not very good for vegetarians/vegans.

Posted by: oycrikey | August 8, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse