Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 11/19/2009

Where do you go for great grilled cheese?

By Julia Beizer

Who doesn't love a grilled cheese? Whether it's a classic rendition like the one at Stoney's . . . (Kathryn Norwood - For The Washington Post)

My mission for this week's Dinner Deals column: to find the best grilled cheeses in the area. I settled on five classic faves and three upscale twists. My picks'll be in tomorrow's paper, but you can check 'em out a day early.

When researching this story, I found people all over the city with really strong opinions about melted cheese on bread. The Hamilton's version of the sandwich kept popping up among Hill-dwelling sources, so I tried it. Twice. Not-quite-melted white cheddar with tomato and bacon didn't do it for me. The Saloon and the Vienna Inn have decent options, but thin bread turned me off in both cases. Probably more authentic that way -- just like your mama used to make! -- but if I'm paying $5 for a sandwich, it better be a step up.

I was sad to leave out a few faves. Bourbon's simple grilled cheese (and waffle fries!) go down easy. Tunnicliff's take is pretty tasty as well, but it was so similar to the one at Stoney's that I left my notes from that midday meal on the cutting room floor.

So let's kick this Cupcake Wars-style. I've listed the eight grilled cheeses from my story, plus some other popular favorites in the poll below. Vote for your fave and add your write-in nominations in the comments below.

-- Julia Beizer

. . . or an upscale twist like the grilled halloumi slider at Cava. (James M. Thresher for The Washington Post)

By Julia Beizer  | November 19, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's behind the future DC Diner?
Next: Got Plans? Redux: Thanksgiving visitors edition

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

The Saloon, because you can do rye bread and cheddar. With the red cabbage salad to cut the grease. AMAZING and cheap.

Posted by: gotmce | November 19, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

+1 to Saloon, but order a drink first! (the owner won't have it any other way)

Posted by: DCfreedumb | November 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

OMG Santinis makes an awesome grilled cheese. Its so good I never get anything else when I go there because I can't imagine ordering anything else.

Posted by: debbiesdavis | November 19, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Domku makes an excellent grilled cheese.

Posted by: SAF_dc | November 19, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

EatBar has a really good one on their menu, not sure if it's a constant option though. A few kinds of cheese, great crusty bread - really more of a cheese panini, served alongside mixed greens with balsamic.

Posted by: KS8284 | November 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Where do you go for great grilled cheese?

My kitchen

Posted by: Kev29 | November 20, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would like to vote for the Tea Room in Kensington, not the Tea Room now, but back when Roy Heintzelman owned the restaurant. His absolutely perfect grilled cheese sandwich was a bite of gooey-cheese-and-toasted-golden-brown heaven. The perfect comfort food with a bowl of homemade soup in the winter, or a great summer-time sandwich with a glass of the restaurant's fresh-squeezed limeade. Always served with a crisp dill pickle wedge and a mountain of chips.

Posted by: khdcom | November 20, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Also try the American Grill Restaurant in SW DC...very yummy Grilled Cheese.

Posted by: nora3333 | November 20, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Domku with their hot peppers in the grilled cheese is always a winner.

Posted by: larico | November 20, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse