Posted at 4:41 PM ET, 12/ 7/2009

Ray's empire expands, big time

By Tom Sietsema

In a whopper of an announcement today, Michael Landrum revealed plans to expand his brand to include a wine bar, a larger space for his popular burger operation and a burger joint featuring wild game. The busy restaurateur, 44, also shared updates with me on his long-planned seafood venue in Arlington and a project in Northeast Washington.

Ray's: The Glass, A Personal Wine Bar with Mark Slater is Landrum's vote of confidence in his wine director, who left the lofty Michel Richard Citronelle earlier this year to join Ray's the Steaks, the trail-blazing meat market in Arlington.

Expected to open in mid-January in the same building as Ray's the Steaks, Ray's: The Glass addresses the question Slater says many of those customers ask: "Where's the bar?" The 60-seat Glass will share Steaks' kitchen and offer a chance for Slater to "do things I couldn't possibly do" at the "insanely busy" steakhouse, which set a record by feeding 735 customers on a recent Saturday.

Glass, for instance, will feature an ever-changing selection of wine (including flights), along with classes, one-on-one consultations and tasting dinners with more elaborate food than is currently offered at Ray's the Steaks. "I couldn't have been more thrilled than when [Landrum] proposed the idea" over the summer, says Slater, who will continue to watch over the larger restaurant.

On the sandwich front, Ray's Hell-Burger is relocating this spring from 1725 Wilson Blvd. into larger digs at 1650 Wilson Blvd. in Arlington. Landrum says the newly acquired 4,000 square-foot space solves the current problems of "over-crowded [and] over-stressed facilities." The move will also allow him to beef up Hell-Burger's menu with beer and wine, milkshakes and sides such as fries and onion rings. The long-promised Ray's: The Catch, Landrum's fish house idea, will take the place vacated by Hell-Burger around the same time.

Joining Glass next month will be Ray's: The Game in the original, "pre-Obama" home for Hell-Burger (1713 Wilson Blvd.), with cooks grilling burgers made from custom-ground venison, wild boar, elk, antelope, wild duck and ostrich. Why game? "No one else is doing it," says Landrum, who sees the exotic burgers as "a great way to expand the repertoire."

Ray's: The Steaks at East River (3905 Dix St. NE), which is nearing completion, is also slated for January. The menu there will be similar to that of Ray's the Steaks, with one notable twist, says Landrum: "I'm putting two things that people really, really, really love by themselves, together."

That's all he cares to say about the combination now, except for his desire that it become the "definitive dish of D.C."

Half-smokes, you've been warned.

-- Tom Sietsema

By Tom Sietsema  | December 7, 2009; 4:41 PM ET
Categories:  Restaurants
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and easy events
Next: Nightlife Agenda

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Wilson Ave?

Posted by: ChrisCombs | December 7, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I am intrigued by the Game and the Catch. Will probably have to head to the Steaks at East River location as well . . . As long as the quality remains high, expansion of the Ray's empire is double-plus good!

Posted by: bucky_katt | December 7, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Heaven. I'm in heaven, And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak...

Game!!! OMG!!!

Great news.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, still haven't bothered to check it out. I don't like overly-hyped and overly worshiped places :P...I know they're good for a reason, but I'm turned off by popularity and embrace hubris.

Posted by: sigmagrrl | December 8, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

boy sigmagrrl, you sound just like one of those arrogant hipsters that thinks their favorite band has sold out to the man or other such nonsense simply because they have found some popular success.

I have the very good fortune of living across the street from Ray's: The Classics in Silver Spring. Every person I have taken there for their amazing Bistro Special has been blown away by the quality and price. Landrum is a true asset to the DC area.

Posted by: chapoutier | December 9, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Any chance Mr. Landrum might consider moving into more of Maryland after the next round of ventures opens? I can think of a couple of area that would be great for his style of restaurant. Prince Georges calls....

Posted by: EricS2 | December 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Actually, chapoutier (modest name for someone calling me arrogant, btw!), I'm slightly agoraphobic....so, yeah, there ya go.

Posted by: sigmagrrl | December 9, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse