Posted at 1:32 PM ET, 05/ 3/2010

Fat Tire beer now available in D.C. -- at least temporarily

By Fritz Hahn

There may be something in those hoary old cliches about absence making the heart grow fonder. My Exhibit A: New Belgium's Fat Tire Ale.

The malty, Belgian-inspired amber ale is probably the most fetishized beer on the East Coast, since the Colorado brewery ships its beers to a limited number of states, and only recently began distributing east of the Mississippi. (The closest place you can buy it is North Carolina.) Over the years, we've had endless questions from readers about where to find the mythical brew. I drank a fair bit of Fat Tire on a western road trip last year, and while it's a solid ale -- the caramel and malt flavors work well together -- I think the obsession with it is a little over the top.

But find out for yourself this week at the Black Squirrel, where the owners have squirreled away four varieties of New Belgium beers, including Fat Tire. Personally, I'm looking forward to the sour Belgian-style Lips of Faith Biere de Mars, which was offered at last year's Savor craft beer festival, and the dark 1554 Enlightened Black Ale. And the Mothership Wit Organic Wheat Beer, which a friend brought back from North Carolina for me last year, would be a great choice for the warm weather. Throw in a menu of Belgian and Colorado food -- everything from bison bacon cheeseburgers to Belgian waffles served with Colorado lamb croquettes -- and you've got the making of what should be a very popular week in Adams Morgan.

The usual caveat applies: There's a limited supply of beer, so get there soon or you may miss out. (During last week's North Carolina beer week, some of the brews were already disappearing on Tuesday night.)

Short 2:30 update: In case you're wondering about prices: Fat Tire will be $6.50 per 12 ounce bottle, while bottles of 1554 and the Wit will be $7. The Biere de Mars, which comes in a large 22-ounce bottle, costs $22.

-- Fritz Hahn

By Fritz Hahn  | May 3, 2010; 1:32 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Free and easy events
Next: "The Liar Show": Go on, call their bluff

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Fat Tire is good, but AleSmith is the truth. Wish they'd sell beer out here.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | May 3, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I concur.

New Belgium has many good offerings, but at the risk of sounding like a beer snob (which I am), Fat Tire is sold alongside Bud/Miller/Coors in every gas station on the West Coast.

Posted by: BlueberryRuffin | May 3, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't mean to take away from this post - but more for the general GOG blog: Any thoughts on Cinco de Mayo festivities, happy hours, hot spots?

Posted by: lidasahar | May 3, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

BlueberryRuffin - yes I'm a beer snob too...well depending on the situation.

Fat Tire is over hyped here on the East Coast.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | May 3, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

While it is tasty and I do enjoy Fat Tire's biscuit malt notes, I have to agree that it isn't New Belgium's best offering by far.

As a west coaster, Fat Tire's appeal for me is mostly sentimental. Still, I always bring a case of it back with me to DC when I travel to points west.

Posted by: surly4130 | May 4, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse