Posted at 1:24 AM ET, 08/13/2010

Housewives Nightlife, Episode 2: When everyone decides to stay in

By Lavanya Ramanathan

When it came to nightlife, this week's episode of "The Real Housewives of D.C." was about as exciting as watching all the poop dry at Mary Schmidt Amons's house.

Oh, wait. That's because we did watch dog poop dry at Mary Schmidt Amons's house. Then we watched a sweet but hardly splashy dinner party at Stacie Scott Turner's aunt's house.

Doesn't anyone go out in "the District" anymore?

Maybe it's proof that Washington's scene isn't as chic as we (and Bravo execs) imagine it is. More likely it's that Washington's truly swanky clubs and restaurants aren't about to throw their clientele to the wolves -- er, the cameras.

But there were a couple of outings worth noting this week: a lunch date and one red-carpet party.

While Amons can't be bothered to clean up her own house, her 23-year-old daughter, Molly, is defying all the rich kid stereotypes by -- gasp! -- working. Yes, a real job! She's waiting tables at cute Euro-style café Leopold's Kafe & Konditorei in Cady's Alley in Georgetown. Which explains why her mom and increasingly detestable British expat Catherine Ommanney meet there for a testy lunch.

Cady's Alley, a posh little shopping outpost within already posh Georgetown, is pretty "inside Washington," and so is Leopold's. The city is teeming with Europeans (diplomats, students, you name it), and that is likely the reason the city is also packed with great European-inspired cafes. There's Montmartre in Capitol Hill, Café Bonaparte and Patisserie Poupon in Georgetown, and the chains Pret a Manger and Illy in Foggy Bottom (Pret has a new shop in touristy Chinatown, too). All fantastic, all worth slipping into for a Housewives-style lunch in the middle of a weekday, between bank-account-blowing stops at Cusp and hu's shoes, of course.

About that party: Thrown at the Park at 14th as a birthday bash for "sixth housewife" Paul Wharton and hosted by Michaele and Tareq Salahi, the party was, well, a far cry from the club's jam-packed scene during last year's inauguration week. In fact, the megaclub looked kind of empty, and a little garish in the light of day -- nowhere near as exciting as it did in its heyday.

Such is life in the fickle nightclub world. Now, people go to Eden and Buddha Bar, and Wharton told the Express his haunt is L2, where he's a member. Loads of other Washingtonians are taking advantage of the splintering nightlife scene, going to clubs that better reflect the economy, that are less "mega," less ostentatious and less likely to slam you with a variable-rate cover charge -- the sometimes-$20-sometimes-$40-sometimes-$1,000-a-table take at the door.

In fact, the forced glamour of the Salahis' party at the Park -- the red carpet, the limo, the tables -- did have me wondering about what the whole thing cost. (Sure hope club owner Marc Barnes got paid.)

But it gave me a little hope that their outings will again extend beyond Georgetown (to the reader last week who guessed they'd visit Cafe Milano: you hit the nail on the head); check back next week to see if they did.

-- Lavanya Ramanathan

By Lavanya Ramanathan  | August 13, 2010; 1:24 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Getting Up Guide: A fashionable party and teacher appreciation
Next: Getting Up Guide: Free dance and Jellybean Benitez

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

Nobody ... and I mean nobody ... cares about this show. You would be better off providing a play by play of the latest episode of "Wipeout" than covering this drivel.

Posted by: Mike40 | August 13, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@Mike40, Dude, Wipeout has more class than The Real Housewives show.

Posted by: eunicedelrosario | August 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a Washington working woman and I am so ashamed of these women. The only one with class and intelligence is Staci. She's a family woman with sass. I feel bad that she's been thrown in with these other trash buckets.... especially Michaele and her loser husband.

Posted by: FiatBooks | August 13, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

People, people. Even Bravo describes their Real Housewives installations as "sudsy" in the descriptions. They and the housewives on the show openly admit that they are not typical housewives and that the show is primarily for entertainment and dramatic value. Stop taking it so seriously! If you've watched the other iterations, you'd know that, for example, you rarely see the Housewives of OC women "going out" to various nightlife venues. More likely you'll see them doing exactly what the DC versions have been doing: going to dinners, hosting dinners, going to lunches, hosting lunches, and attending the occasional horse race or polo match. Rarely do you see any of them attending "red carpet" events.

Posted by: crzytwnman | August 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

What I've been most surprised about this show is actually how similar the Housewives of DC are to those on the other versions--most closely resembling the OC version (perhaps mostly because that is the other installation with which I am most familiar).

Posted by: crzytwnman | August 13, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The "Real Housewives" are neither real nor housewives. http://bit.ly/ao3qIU

Posted by: kega_6 | August 13, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

No one watches reality tv anymore do they?

DC is a young/smart people's city. Over 40 and in the Burbs doesn't work in this city, nor will unemployed rich blond bimbos. MTV's show didn't work because generally locals would mock these Jersey Shore antics that result from an inability to hold ones liquor.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 13, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I was at Park that night. The club seemed empty because the party was on a Tuesday night.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | August 13, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If you don't like reality TV then tune out. This show is for entertainment purposes. I personally enjoy the show. I love Linda, she tells it like it is. Stacie and Mary are great. Michaele is not all there. Catherine has absolutely no class.

Posted by: marceloron | August 13, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather watch grass grow than this waste of bandwith...

Posted by: jackm4070 | August 13, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I watched grown old women flitter on about what the vice-president was wearing last night. Is this is what passes for cocktail-hour banter in Georgetown now? Not only are the sycophants devoid of any character – I find their political persuasion telling – they’re idiots.

Thanks for wasting six minutes of my life.

Posted by: FromWoodbridge | August 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't have to worry about wasting 6 minutes of my life. Then again, I'm not dumb enough to even find out when and where this show is on. I DON'T even care enough. Got it? I feel pity for those folks who have such waste for a life that they would even bother.

Posted by: hogfarmer55 | August 13, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone watch Michaele Salahi fakeness. They are broke so don't be fooled by her displays of grandiosity. The only reason they have any money now is the $50k/episode they get from being on RHODC. What has she done that is so special. Well, she crashed the White House and........oh ya there was the black caucus lunch they were escorted out of by security. Other than that....pretty empty as far as accomplishments. Michaele thinks my feelings are born out of jealousy. Oh no....they are born out of disgust. What I don't understand is, why do I feel embarrassed when I see her or read anything about her.
Join our Facebook page: Tell the White House Party Crashers to Go Away

Posted by: seraphina2 | August 14, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Michaele Salahi is the reason I am watching. She makes it come to life.

Cant wait for next week.

"Seraphina" - fake poster woman- rachel didn't Laurie call you last week and tell you - you really do look crazy obessed with Michaele.

Posted by: lisag1 | August 14, 2010 1:40 AM | Report abuse