Posted at 1:45 PM ET, 11/ 5/2010

A quick scan of the new Barcode

By Alex Baldinger

To those of us who work a few blocks away, the opening of Barcode, in the former Fourth Estate Grille space near 17th and L streets NW, qualifies as big, huge, stop-the-presses news (at least as far as our happy hour options are concerned).

Gone is the casual bar-and-grill vibe of the old place; in its place comes LED lighting, brushed steel surfaces, dark-wood paneling, lounge seating and communal banquettes. A set of turntables stand by the front door, as if waiting for a passing DJ to set them in motion. It makes sense to see them, because the bar is run by the DC Hospitality Group, which also oversees Lima and UltraBar.

While the vibe is totally different from the ways of old, the beer menu picks up -- and even improves upon -- where the old Fourth left off. There's something for any taste and budget, from $3 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon and $5 Porkslaps up to big-name microbrews like Dogfish Head's 90-minute IPA and Orval's Trappist Ale, plus more standard offerings of Stella, Peroni and Leffe. A sophisticated-sounding cocktail menu calls for attention on a future visit, but good luck finding a Rose Kennedy or Apricot Fizz anywhere else in this part of town. There's even bottle service.

The restaurant was still filling out its menu during a recent lunch visit, but the margherita pizza ($9.75) had a thin Neapolitan crust with just the right balance of crunch and chewiness. My dining companion's veal ragout ($16) also earned high marks.

Barcode's most appealing characteristic, so far, is its versatility. I'm most interested in seeing two things: how quickly the Golden Triangle clientele takes to the lounge vibe for happy hour and how popular a destination Barcode becomes on weekends, when foot traffic on the nearby streets falls dramatically without 9-to-5ers around.

By Alex Baldinger  | November 5, 2010; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  Bars and Clubs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Getting Up Guide: FotoWeek DC launch; Roky Erickson
Next: Free and easy events: 'Rashomon,' skateboarding in art

Search Going Out Guide for More Events

By Keyword

Comments

This is where the Fourth Estate used to be? Or as I call it the Ha' Penny Lion.

Posted by: Alczervik | November 5, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

This is where the Fourth Estate used to be? Or as I call it the Ha' Penny Lion.

Posted by: Alczervik | November 5, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This is where the Fourth Estate used to be? Or as I call it the Ha' Penny Lion.

Posted by: Alczervik | November 5, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

At hour twenty four on October 28th in this our uear twenty thousand ten, they were speaking of 'The operation' in the living room. Whispers of blow out the candle and tray knife patch borrow pass were heard and sound.

I was just leaving the test site where I had a Press Pass and waitin' for the call for look out.

It appears that I am trying to impress you or upon you the notion that solutions to viable problems lay in simple moves such as just like the ones in chess.

But on the question of non-entity I said you owe me a doctor. All hands werw ready.
This is deemed inappropriate. So is the other and if you immunize against that sort of thing the pressure wont be as bad.

Its not the attention I'm asking you to focus on. We can speak doctorate all day and with qualified style. Its the simple move-the three pennies you owe the Bodega squares man'.

So its like this all day-the three pennies you owe the bodega squares man'.

The candle whispers and shuffling of lead wires and neon cob webs with aluminum stiching' ketching; and sewing.

I said there is a Dutchman out there waiting for you to hand him three pennies!
I said, I said you should stop thinkin' you're so smart i saw I saw it first she said'. Privacy Policy or no Privacy Policy I still gave you fifteen chocolate bars five at a time.

If everyone acted as they should they would make a perfect hole.

So you going?

To what?
Go to the Bodega clerk?
For what? with whom? how should I dress?

To give him his three pennies?
To give him his three pennies I said.

This is Kadija1 on the Island of the Power of the three pennies monography studio factory.

Posted by: kadija1 | November 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

To give himhis three pennies
to give him his three pennies

O cheerio

to give him his three pennies

to give him his three peniies
to give him his three pennies