Weekend Update: Get to know an art gallery
Ever thought about checking out one of the city's trendy art galleries, but weren't sure how to approach the experience? Without a docent or art history textbooks to guide you, the walls of a gallery can be seem to be worlds unto themselves.
Here's the rest of what you can find in today's Weekend section:
• Among our picks for the long weekend's Best Bets: The Phillips Collection celebrates its 90th birthday by letting everyone in for free on Saturday and Sunday. And on Monday, Patti LaBelle gives a free performance at the Kennedy Center honoring the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
• The Phillips Collection isn't the only local arts repository with reason to celebrate this weekend: The Kennedy Center is honoring the 50th anniversary of its namesake's inauguration with a concert by Denyce Graves.
• In other Shakespeare Theatre news, the organization's partnership with the National Theatre in London has made movie night a regular event, with audiences here watching broadcasts of big-time theater staged 3,600 miles away. Coming soon: "Fela!" and others.
• You had me at doner kebab: In Burleith, Cafe Divan has weekend breakfast, doner kebab made daily and a chic, comfortable dining room.
• On the slopes, a behind-the-scenes tour of snowmaking and trail grooming at Snowshoe Ski Resort in West Virginia.
• Cooped up with your toddler? Escape to Great Kids Village in Columbia, where the kids can run around in the 24,000-square-foot warehouse-like space with 20 themed "rooms."
| January 14, 2011; 7:00 AM ET
Categories: Events, Misc., Museums, Restaurants, Theater
Save & Share: Previous: The Phillips and Kennedy Center celebrate big anniversaries
Next: On screen this week: 'Green Hornet,' 'Dilemma,' 'Summer Wars'
The comments to this entry are closed.