BYO Straws

Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard

I am a fan of the straw. The girly-girl in me loves that I can skip an extra lipstick application when I have a straw in my drink. The clumsy girl in me loves that I am less inclined to spill down the front of my shirt when I am sipping from a straw. I assumed most others felt the same way about the straw, though I would understand if their reasoning did not involve lipstick or a clean, dry shirt. I guess I was wrong. The nice people at Nationals Park have decided that, unless we purchase the souvenir cup with flexi-straw, that we do not need a straw with our beverage. We needn't worry about spilling our beverage as we do the mid-row shuffle to our seats in section 305, nor should we worry about things like backwash or side spillage (when you tip back too quickly and get that fun trickle of soda down your cheeks). Nope. We don't need straws. When I asked the kind gentleman at the condiments counter why there were no straws, he simply said because they don't have them at FedEx Field. I blame football fans.

By Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard  |  March 31, 2008; 3:37 PM ET  | Category:  Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard
Previous: Opening Night Ruminations | Next: A Little Bummed Out

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

How was the game?

Posted by: Eatery | March 31, 2008 4:31 PM

What? I didn't even notice that. How irritating- I spill easily too and would prefer a straw.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 4:39 PM

Are you the same Kyra who biked to the game? If so, did you use the bike valet? How does it work? If you didn't use it, where do you lock up?

Posted by: OutsideTheLaw | March 31, 2008 4:53 PM

Yep... I'm the same Kyra who biked to the game, and I will continue to bike to the game as long as I can stand it.

On Saturday I parked by the outfield entrance. On Sunday I parked near the first base entrance. I have to say that the police presence near the first base entrance really did help my fear of stolen accessories (any regular cyclist can commiserate).

Eventually I will try the bike valet, but it'll be on a slow day at the park, when I know I'll get my bike back with minimal delay post-game. I think my next game is April 9 (sigh), so I'll share my expereince with everyone then.

In the mean time, ride around and check out the bike racks. I've never seen so many! Anyone who biked to RFK knows that if you weren't there before the first pitch, you were locking up to a street sign. No more at Nats Park!

Posted by: Kyra | March 31, 2008 5:29 PM

And the game was great! Amazing! Maybe I am exaggerating, but the bottom of the ninth felt like game seven of the World Series. Of course I do lean toward a more overly dramatic description. I'm sure my husband will say it was a great game, and that is that.

Posted by: Kyra | March 31, 2008 5:34 PM

Kyra don't worry you have some company in feeling the way you feel about the bottom of the 9th. It's like we'd won the World Series against the Yankees. my section was certainly cheering that way!

Posted by: A Different Michael | April 1, 2008 10:21 AM

Rachel,

thanks for the tip... next time I will bring my glove, a hat, lip balm, sunscreen, a pencil to score the game, a radio to listen, enough money to buy a hot dog and pay my mortgage and straws... wonder what I should leave home... mmmm, how about my kids?

Posted by: Gary | April 1, 2008 1:18 PM

If attending games would pay the mortgage, I'd have a nice house on the beach.

Posted by: Kyra | April 1, 2008 2:23 PM

Not offering straws and lids for sodas certainly doesn't help the general perception of the Lerners as anything but cheapskates. Stan the Man even warned them they could be stoking this image. But, come on, no straws. Think about the kids!

Not re-signing Zim yet doesn't help either. He's clearly proven he's worth top-drawer bucks. Now they're probably gonna have to pay him more because they waited.

Posted by: DXMontagnes | April 1, 2008 3:58 PM

I think if they hyped the strawless drinks as an ecological move (no plastic lids, no plastic straws, no paper straw wrappers to dispose of) they could score brownie (or greenie) points. And if they did like convenience stores and refilled reuseable plastic cups for a discount, it would also make points with fans and reduce trash.

Posted by: Ed Ramras | April 1, 2008 7:17 PM

Logic for a lack of straws is somewhat counterintuitive - the Green aspect is worthy, but they'll have to spend more time/money mopping the floors as drinks will surely spill and be slopped-around. UMD stopped offering straws for awhile at Byrd Stadium several years ago but that was a safety concern as students would "shoot" them out of their wrappers through the stands...

Posted by: CSH | April 2, 2008 1:47 PM

Hi Kyra! I'm a fan of the straw myself and was very disappointed to learn that Nats Park "doesn't have them." I plan to smuggle my own straws into the ballpark during future visits. I'll get the individually wrapped ones from my local fast food joint and I'll be all set ;o)

Posted by: Charlene | April 4, 2008 11:52 PM