Slow Scoreboard

Brooke Family

From Tom: The Braves batted four men in the first, yet the scoreboard list of hitters on the left side of the display never advanced: the first hitter's name, Kelly Johnson, continued to be highlighted. My fellow scorecard keepers in Second 314 also noted that the list of hitters does not include uniform # or position.

By Brooke Family  |  March 30, 2008; 8:38 PM ET  | Category:  Brooke Family
Previous: Jam Packed | Next: Food Review: Pat's Pizza

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

How is the game going?
I 395 was not busy heading into dc from the airport at 720pm

Posted by: pvogel88 | March 30, 2008 9:39 PM

How loud were the boos for Bush?

Posted by: Ghostmoves | March 30, 2008 9:56 PM

There was also a point in the 3rd where the scoreboard didn't put up any of the ball/strikes/outs for an entire Nats inning. Seems like they got it fixed by the end of the game though.

And you can read it!

Do agree they should list the positions of the players though on the list on the left side.

Posted by: Section 113 | March 31, 2008 12:23 AM

What about the trip home? Anyone take the Metro to Virginia?

Posted by: BobD3 | March 31, 2008 6:35 AM

I took the Metro back to Virginia. It was crowded, but worked smoothly. Metro had several people movers at the Navy Yard and L'Enfant Plaza stops to maximize efficiency.

Posted by: ThomasJefferson | March 31, 2008 7:58 AM

"How loud were the boos for Bush?"

Just a few morons booing. Most of the people acted civilized.

Posted by: JT | March 31, 2008 8:49 AM

To JT....

"A few morons booing"?

I was one of those "morons"...among quite a few others in my section...

"Acting civilized"? I'd say that's what Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz/Pearle et all FAILED to do back in March 2003..and working class Americans are paying for it now everyday.

Posted by: steve strauss | March 31, 2008 9:12 AM

"How loud were the boos for Bush?"

I thought that the crowd was civil, and gracious. But I also thought there was lusty, sustained booing for the President.

It paled in comparison to booing of the first marginally-close play at first that went against the Nats, of course. The crowd had its priorities straight, after all . . . .

Posted by: 241 Scott | March 31, 2008 9:14 AM

As someone who likes to keep score myself, I was also disappointed that there's no spot (at least one not immediately obvious) that shows official scoring. At least at RFK they showed previous at-bats for the hitters.

Posted by: Amanda | March 31, 2008 9:34 AM

Boos were not to bad, some people don't get it you are repecting the office not the man leave the booing out of the game.

Traffic wasn't too bad after the game going to VA.

Posted by: Gene | March 31, 2008 9:35 AM

What scoreboard? I was in center field and could not see the board at all and the other semi balls and strikes sign were small. Nice park though and cozy but sit on the home plate side to get the full effect.

Posted by: Gene | March 31, 2008 9:38 AM

Does the new board show pitch counts? Seemed like on TV all the ribbon boards that line the facade showed ads about 90% of the time instead of meaningful info.

Posted by: Don | March 31, 2008 9:38 AM

There was a place on the scoreboard where they were posting past at bats. If I recall correctly, it was yellow writing on a red background. I didn't notice it until somebody pointed it out to me.

Posted by: Sheldon | March 31, 2008 9:41 AM

Scoreboard concerns of mine: I could not locate a K count anywhere, I did not see info on batters' previous at bats (will look next time thanks to Sheldon's comment), the scoreboard often was slow to post balls or strikes or to highlight the correct batter's name, and I could not find anywhere how many pitches the pitcher had thrown so far in the game.

We had no trouble driving into the lot at RFK or using the Nats Express buses, but traffic was jammed leaving the lot.

Posted by: DC Woman | March 31, 2008 9:50 AM

I just thought it was funny that the Atlanta "A" on the ribbon boards was pink. And a very nice shade of pink, too!

Posted by: surlychick | March 31, 2008 10:50 AM

As already mentioned by someone else, there is a large portion of fans who don't have any sort of view of the big, giant scoreboard (the scoreboard pavilion blocks the view) and the fans in section 140-143 spend the entire game asking --- whats the score and what happened as there are no replays.

A real bummer and disappointment to what is otherwise a decent park... Hopefully, park managers will consider some form of smaller scoreboard for those facing homeplate --- PLEASE!

Posted by: Sec 140 | March 31, 2008 11:11 AM

There has to be some serious reprogramming with the scoreboard or thought given to other uses for the myriad electronic displays scattered around the stadium. I assume that during the regular season (when other teams are playing) at least one board (The right field wall??) will be used for out of town scores. There is also a need to post lineups with uniform numbers and positions. Perhaps the annoying circular display on top of the Red Porch can be used for something other than repeating "The home of the National Pastime in the Nation's Capital" on an endless loop and the board in center field that was used for "closed captioning" can show official scoring decisions.

Posted by: Ed Ramras | March 31, 2008 11:27 AM

Right field at the bottom of section 141 is what I presume to be the out of town scoreboard. Unfortunately, the top is covered with a nice brushed aluminum. It has a tendency to be very reflective on a cloudy day and will be horrendous on a sunny day. The Nationals should paint the top of that scoreboard black to reduce the potential glare.

Posted by: Bad Design | March 31, 2008 11:30 AM

How about showing something on the board besides people in the crowd making fools of themselves for the camera? A couple of "fan of the game" sets are okay, but the constant mugging was really tiresome. Maybe when the rest of the season gets going they will show highlights from other games.

Posted by: Tdubya | March 31, 2008 11:39 AM

When I bought my program, I asked the woman if they had any pencils, and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. So much for keeping score.

Posted by: Flipperman | March 31, 2008 11:50 AM

Too many ads on the ribbon boards. Not enough useful information. PNC Bank gets a free ride on ESPN.

Posted by: PNC Bank Field at Nats Park | March 31, 2008 12:11 PM

I noticed as the game progressed that a summary of previous "at-bat" results was being shown on the scoreboard, but only for a short time. Then they'd move onto other stuff.

Posted by: Dick | March 31, 2008 12:14 PM

Great game last night for my family to be a part of! Thank you Ryan Zimmerman for making it a night to remember! How long is this guy signed for? A couple observations from last nights opener:
Parking is terrible. If fans cant park near the stadium and are forced to be hearded into a metro car or shuttled to the stadium, atleast drop them off AT the stadium rather than four blocks away. My elderly mother was with us and had all she could do to walk to the game after being dropped off at the shuttle drop off.
Concessions- hot dog was cold and beer was warm.... hmmm something is backwards here isnt it?
Jumbotron- I was actually impressed compared to the night before (Orioles Game) in which they didn't show any stats for the batters. Last night however, it seems they fixed the problem and from what I noticed for most of that batters, it seems they started off with bios & then next at bat switched to last seasons stats (obviously none for this year yet) and then most of the time after that, for the rest of the game the jumbo was showing what they did for each of the previous at bats of which I was VERY pleased to see. BIG upgrade from the O's game. It would be nice to see the numbers on the side lineups however or on one of the ribbon boards along the concourses... overall MUCH better than vs. orioles!
Go Nats!

Posted by: Johnson Family | March 31, 2008 1:48 PM

Nice post! I also noticed that the scoreboard failed to show strike and ball counts one inning -- made me reminisce about RFK!

Posted by: Michael Solem | March 31, 2008 2:47 PM

I agree with the comments about the batting order--take away the numbers 1-9--and put in position and/or uniform numbers. I saw previous at bats for a short while when each batter came up, but it was the textual "flew out" or "RBI double run" type, not the scoring F8 or 6-3 type like RFK had on the small score boards.
The big board is great from my seats, but pretty "busy". A few minor tweaks would help.
How do we get the "powers that be" to change the batting order info? I am pretty sure that anyone who cares whether Austin Kearns in batting fifth can count it themselves.

Posted by: Mike Strickland | March 31, 2008 3:53 PM

On the failure to show balls and strikes one inning--the same thing happenned once both Saturday and Sunday--also the pitch count did not advance during that period. Perhaps a computer froze, or the scorer went off to get some refreshments :)

Posted by: Mike Strickland | March 31, 2008 3:55 PM

To DC Woman, the pitch count was on the right side of the big board, in white letters on black background, with the rest of the pitchers current stats (ERA, speed, etc.) but there was no K count, nor was the pitch count broken down by balls and strikes like the one at RFK, just total pitches.

Posted by: Mike Strickland | March 31, 2008 4:00 PM

"My fellow scorecard keepers in Second 314 also noted that the list of hitters does not include uniform # or position."

As someone who always keeps score at a game, I'd prefer the position rather than the uniform number. There's enough room for "Zimmerman, 3b" or "Milledge, cf."

Other than that, and the godawful "Sweet Caroline" on the P.A. system (one, it's a damn Boston Red Sox song, and two, it's not original), it was a well-run night.

Posted by: Vincent | March 31, 2008 7:17 PM