And One More Thing ...

Scott Watson

I did have one enjoyable experience at a Nats concession stand this weekend. I stopped by the "Slice Down The Line" stand behind section 114, looking to take advantage of the short line to grab a drink. As I approached the counter, a brash young employee [who shall remain nameless, in case he was inadvertently breaking some rules] rushed forward to greet me with:

"Do you wanna put a tip for me in this cup?" while pointing at a small plastic drinking cup.

I inhaled deeply, getting ready to blast him. How dare he be so presumptuous? Nobody should expect a tip to hand me a soda! And he hadn't even done anything yet!

Then I realized I was wrong. He had rushed forward. That was the first person behind one of those counters that I had seen rush *anywhere.* "You're damned right I do," I said, putting a buck in the cup. "Now give me a Coke Zero." I was out 15 seconds later.

Thank you, sir. Maybe if some of your colleagues see you being rewarded for your initiative, I might drop some money in a tip jar for them. . . .

By Scott Watson  |  April 28, 2008; 5:48 PM ET  | Category:  Scott Watson
Previous: Teddy... Oh, Teddy | Next: Highlights for Nats Fans?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Keep it coming, Watson. I still haven't been to the ballpark!!

Posted by: Art Vandelay | April 28, 2008 9:59 PM

Apparently a trend there. At the open house a few weeks back the kid at the cashier's position asked me a for a tip in a similar fashion. There had been no rushing though, just a few fingers tap dancing across the keys on the register. After 25 minutes in line waiting for a super so-so chili dog and a $4.00 bottle of water I was in no mood to drop anymore cash at this glacial paced food stand. Can't imagine what the wait would have been like on a game night!!

Posted by: Jim Brodhead | April 29, 2008 7:29 AM

Is it just me, or does "Taste of the Majors" imply something more than what they sell at Nats Dogs, Gray Grill, etc? I am pretty sure that I remember reading that Taste of the Majors was supposed to offer unique fare from the ball parks of visiting teams. The most shining example used was "a Chicago style hot dog when the Cubs play."

Guess what: no Chicago style dog. I left my seats in the Club level to find a Taste of the Majors in 115, waited in line for 20 minutes (missed the Presidents race) and found out that from the ridiculously hurried worker that they don't have those. Best they could do was sauerkraut.

Long lines, sure. Surly, slow and lackluster employees, Hey, I live in the District. But if you are going to name a restaurant the Taste of the Majors, it really seems that you have set a bit of a performance standard for yourself.

C'mon Nats, C'mon Lerners.

Posted by: Phil Lepanto | April 29, 2008 8:42 AM

I like the idea of a "Taste of the Majors", where different food from oppopsing teams cities is highlighted when they're in town, but I don't think it's feasible. Considering that the concessions already move pretty slowly, can you imagine the vendors having to switch out a different food every 3-4 days and learning how to prep and serve this food? Plus, there would be logistical problems in changing the signs in the concessions, plus dealing with the food suppliers in getting these foods in the first place.

Posted by: Courtesy Flush | April 29, 2008 9:33 AM

I've seen a Taste of the Majors in several parks, most recently in Houston. If they can do it, why can't we? Are our people that incompetent that they can't handle this?

Posted by: Alexandria, VA | April 29, 2008 9:49 AM

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode...George wanting so hard to be noticed putting a tip in the jar...ha! Missed "Taste of the Majors," on my excursion through the park Saturday night, but why does the menu need to change with each homestand? Just have Philly cheesesteaks, Chicago hot dogs, San Diego fish tacos, Cincinnati skyline chili....stock some soda, beer, and chips and be done with it?

Me thinks this first season at Nats Park should have started simple and moved from there. Seems the Lerners and Centerplate went too far, too fast, given the new environs and the training of new employees.

Posted by: Annandale Annie | April 29, 2008 9:49 AM

Got your "Taste of the Majors" - right HERE.

Posted by: Sgt. Kochringue | April 29, 2008 11:12 AM

Sounds like extortion to me ...

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | April 29, 2008 11:31 AM