Any Love for Teddy?

Scott Watson

I don't advocate violence or anything, but the next time that you see Teddy, forcefully remind him that he's a slacker.

I did get the impression from stray comments -- overheard while waiting (and waiting) in the Ben's Chili Bowl line - that the love for Teddy may have run its course. Has it?

teddy.jpg

I'll be watching the Nats to see if they continue to use Teddy and the other three Big-Headed Presidents in creative ways, or if they just run the now-lame "Teddy loses" theme into the ground. . . .

P.S.

Q: When are they gonna send Screech down to the minors, or give him his outright release, and call up Uncle Slam to The Show?

A: When they stop trying desperately to attract young children to the games. Young children who don't attend 7:05 or 7:30 starts, and who've never seen a 9:00 pm World Series game.

By Scott Watson  |  April 7, 2008; 4:02 PM ET  | Category:  Scott Watson
Previous: Night Lights Keep Things Bright | Next: Travel a Breeze

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I can handle the Teddy is a loser bit, but I think they should have some "guest" president's once in a while. How about a Van Buren or a Grant. Warren G. Harding even.

Posted by: Brian | April 7, 2008 4:14 PM

Why do you think the Teddy Losses is a lame trick now? I think kind of like the Red Sox not winning for 145 years, it attracts its own cult-like following. Its fun. Everyone is so cynical!!

Posted by: 20910 | April 7, 2008 4:15 PM

I still love Teddy!

Posted by: Kyra | April 7, 2008 4:43 PM

I think we should include some real life presidents... sat Carter and Clinton (Bill, of course)!

Posted by: Hillgal | April 7, 2008 4:44 PM

I like the idea I saw on some blog or other that Teddy only wins when we're at the top of our division. Should provide added excitement and incentives to win.

Posted by: hb | April 8, 2008 12:32 AM

I totally agree on both counts. Teddy's schtick is already old. The only thing that kept it alive last year was the hope that he'd win on a special occasion (his bobblehead day, last day at RFK, etc.) But since none of that happened, and it's pretty clear he really will NEVER win, it's just silly and de-moralizing. Zim saying, he's "tired of him always losing" speaks volumes.

Uncle Slam definitely needs to be called up. He's got a way cuter name and I'm willing to bet he's got more moves than the one pelvic thrust move Screech has got. And Screech is STILL mangy and gray. Gross.

Then again, something tells me I'm not exactly the target market for Screech so my gripes likely won't stick.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 8, 2008 7:40 AM

I don't understand the article. What are you writing about?

Posted by: Karl | April 8, 2008 7:44 AM

Well, Karl, I was writing about the options. I have a pool, and a pond. Pond would be good for you.

Posted by: Ty | April 8, 2008 11:16 AM

I love the Presidents, and I'm over 50. My TJ bobblehead has pride of place in my office. Only Washington could have such mascots. But I love the idea of "visiting" presidents. And I agree--Teddy wins when the Nats win the pennant!!! Yes we can!!!

Posted by: Ellen B | April 8, 2008 11:46 AM

Why not, for an election year, have races of the "Also Rans"?

We could have Dewey v. Pinkney v. McClellan v. McGovern!

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | April 8, 2008 1:40 PM

I like the idea of using modern politicians. Clinton could stop at the ball girl's chair every time and never make it to the finish line. Dick Cheney could shoot somebody as he enters the stadium.

Posted by: Andy | April 9, 2008 11:22 AM