Clint: Love Him or Hate Him?

Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard

I sense that, after reading various comments and posts, most people don't like Clint--the young fella who runs around the park interviewing fans and playing silly games with lucky contestants.

This year, I haven't seen much of Clint in or around the park. Is it because the audio-visual systems at the park are experiencing issues, or is it because people really don't like Clint?

Do you like Clint? Have you been to another park that has featured a similar personality interacting with fans? If there is no Clint, is there no Nat Pack entourage?

By Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard  |  April 30, 2008; 1:58 PM ET  | Category:  Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard
Previous: Good Game, Bad Brisket | Next: Making the Grade on Transit

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I like him. He's cute and has a good personality. Now if only I can win the DC Lotto pack...

Posted by: A Different Michael | April 30, 2008 2:26 PM

Enough with all these extra announcers and so-called personalities running around stadiums and arenas around the country. They're the most annoying thing about going to ballgames. Clint may be a nice guy, but seriously, let the PA announcer do his job. One voice, one team is all you need in the stadium. The guy telling me who is batting can easily tell me about a fan who is here for the first time and wanting to try a contest.

Why do pro sports teams continue to talk down to us, the fans? The Caps announcer now tells us when the team is at full strength even though a huge new scoreboard can tell me that too, but it's too busy telling me when to make noise, just like Nats games. Apparently, my extended years in the game prevent me from knowing when exactly I'm supposed to make noise for my team.

Can we let fans be fans again? Can we get rid of "stadium hosts"? Every where we turn, it seems there is one.

Posted by: Section 112 | April 30, 2008 2:29 PM

he seems like a fag to me. Also fan of the game is pretty weak just showing still shots. In fact, it's possible that those fans arent even at the game at the time that their pictures are being shown. It should be live to get more people involved.

Posted by: yo | April 30, 2008 2:48 PM

I like Clint! The last game I attended (Sunday), I was having a problem with a vendor who did not know how to give me my season ticket holder discount. Clint and his entrouge happened to be walking by at the time. He tried phoning a supervisor for me, and actually came back to make sure I had been taken care of.

That's going way beyond the "cute" mascot that he'e being paid to be.

Posted by: Fay | April 30, 2008 2:55 PM

hate him hate him hate him hate him.

Do you want the whole list of reasons or just the top 50??

He is so incredibly painful to watch. He talks too fast, asks stupid yes/no questions, and he gives the vibe that this is all about him.

He does not have the instincts necessary to draw people out in funny, interesting and entertaining ways because it's all about him. Even people on camera he interviews always look bored with him. It takes more than fast talking, over-exaggerated enthusiasm and nice hair to get what he's trying (and failing) to do.

He was probably a journalism major and he thinks he hit it big.

Posted by: CGR | April 30, 2008 3:19 PM

I do not hate him. I would, though, rather have forks stuck in my eyes rather than see him again. Being in 241, I can't see him. So I just stick my fingers in my ear and sing while imagining him buried to his neck in an anthill -- neck covered in honey. . .

I'm sorry . . . did I hit "submit"?

Posted by: 241 Scott | April 30, 2008 9:20 PM

Clint is terrible, and he has a weak arm with the T-shirts. This year he seems to be preening more than mugging for the camera. At worst, replace him with one of the female Nats Pack. At best, eliminate the position. He adds nothing to the ballpark experience.

Posted by: tmp2334 | May 1, 2008 12:56 AM

The baseball purists hate how every professional sporting event has turned into a theme-park-sensory-overload experience. I understand. I can relate.

I also can relate to my kids, who aren't sports nuts but love a day at the ballpark. For them, the dance cam and the presidents race and Clint's scoreboard antics rate second only to the junk food.

This is the world we live in. Without Clint, Joe Fan gets permission to go to maybe 5 games a year with a buddy and spend maybe $40-50 each time. The stands are half-empty and the team stinks.

With Clint and all the other antics, Joe Fan takes his whole family to more than a dozen games and spends $150-$200 or more each time. The stands are full and team generates enough revenue to build a contender.

Those who vilify Clint would be complaining no matter who was holding the microphone. I'm glad that Clint is being featured a little less this year, but for what it's worth I think he's quite good at what he does.

Whether you agree or not, there's no reason to crucify the guy. Remember he's a human being and a Nats fan who's doing his job, which is performing, and for not much money. I happened to meet him for the first time on Friday night, and he was as normal and nice as could be.

Posted by: LetTeddyWin.com | May 1, 2008 1:17 AM

I don't hate Clint, but I do not like his job. If he were actually leading cheers (like the male cheerleaders of the 40s and 50s college football--no dancing, please) then I'd find his persona really useful, and not an annoying distraction. The job needs to go, but the guy can stay, imho.

Posted by: cb201 | May 1, 2008 10:00 AM

I hate you all!!!!

Posted by: Clint's Mom | May 1, 2008 10:24 AM

I agree that in game entertainment is here to stay, like it or not. And Clint's not a bad guy, and he seems to have turned down the smarmy factor a little.

He might want to take in a few Wizards games at the Phone Booth next season, though. The in game announcer there seems to have a little more gravitas or steadiness about him.

Posted by: Tom Brooke | May 1, 2008 11:12 AM

There's nothing wrong with Clint that repeated punches to his kidneys wouldn't solve. Whenever I find myself getting frustrated with Clint, I just imagine punching him in the kidneys repeatedly.

Posted by: Lindemann | May 1, 2008 11:46 AM

Ouch. So many haters. I don't see the problem. He's a host of between inning games and banter. Nothing more really. Does a good job as far as I'm concerened.

Why was this post even created except to draw out negative comments? Tisk tisk to the author. Seems like nit-pik of a subject to bring up.

Posted by: Tim | May 1, 2008 12:34 PM

I hate him. My wife hates him. My oldest son (11 years old) hates him.

My twins (12 weeks old) cry when they hear his voice or see his face.

The fact that we know his name says it all. If we have to do these silly promos, it should be a totally anonymous person or interaction with the PA announcer only.

Posted by: Section 112 | May 1, 2008 1:17 PM

I don't really care that Clint exists, but I have found the PA/scoreboard coverage of him to not be audible enough or the timing is off, or something where I just can't understand what he's saying. Not that I want to, but it's more annoying to have that going on than to actually have the audio and video synching correctly.

Posted by: Cole | May 1, 2008 3:20 PM

Hate him and hate that his job exists.

Posted by: jzindc | May 1, 2008 3:30 PM

I saw Clint at the Clarendon Whole Foods today. He was sobbing ever so gently into his fresh organic produce at an (un)reasonable price.

He looked at me with puppy dog eyes and asked, chokingly, "Why, Big Pomp-Daddy? Why do they hate me so? I only want to be known as the poor man's Ryan Seacrest. Is that so wrong?"

"Yes," I replied haltingly. "Yes, it is. Alas, though, this is a free country and it is not becoming of our great national character for me to push my morals on you."

He sobbed and smiled at me gently. He is scum.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | May 1, 2008 3:48 PM

They need to give Clint a hot female co-host. In Toronto they have a male/female hosting duo - beefcake for the ladies, hot chick for the guys. Although since I doubt Clint qualifies as beefcake, he needs to go.

Posted by: Shawn | May 1, 2008 3:54 PM

Tim,

I asked because I don't mind his presence at games, but I do wonder what others think--especially after reading negative blog posts and then listening to a guy behind me at recent game tear him apart.

Also, this blog is about the fan experience, and Clint is a part of that experience. Love it or hate it.

Posted by: Kyra | May 2, 2008 10:56 AM

I can't stand him.

Posted by: NatsVA | May 2, 2008 1:18 PM

Having been an in-game host in another city, I found my role as something that added a little to the game, until the fans started complaining that they wanted more of me and less of the announcer. Unfortunately, in other cities, I've heard of this too but in both situations. Most want more announcer, less host. Very few want more host and less announcer. In order for this to be effective, the announcer and host have to work well together and off each other. It's like a broadcasting team. If the two are completely different personalities, it just doesn't work. My situation failed where it did because the announcer was the kind that it was all about him and I am all about the fan. He mentioned his name on the PA quite a few times and the only person to ever say my name on the mic was the fan who was chosen to do a contest, and only if they'd asked to find out my name. It's not about the guy holding the mic, it's about the guy that's attempting to win a prize, the guy that just paid a bunch of money to be at the game.

Only once have I made a promotion about myself, and that was when I proposed to my fiance...at a game...using a promotion as a front to hide the ring. But it was all about her.

Posted by: Jarrod | May 5, 2008 11:27 AM

Clint is a good host and is good at what he does. If you don't like his position, don't take it out on him. It is not his decision how to run the promotions, if the sound system works, or anything else. It is amazing how people who have never met someone can have such hatred and say such ridiculous things about them. It would be very interesting to see who is sitting behind the computer saying they will punch someone in their kindney's whom theyve never met. You sound ridiculous. Clint is good at what he does and that is the point. As many people just on this thread have mentioned, he is very friendly and helpful as well. Clearly, he is not simply trying to self-promote as many of you claim. What he does is not distracting from the game because the promotions are in the middle of the innings and the promotions accomplish what they intend to accomplish- get fans, families and kids involved.

Posted by: NatsFan | May 6, 2008 10:58 AM

Kyra,

I agree with Tim. You're questions are phrased in a negative manner to bring out the worst. Clint is just doing his job and you have people making negative posts. Poor job,

Mike

Posted by: Mike | May 6, 2008 11:02 AM

I'm not that big a fan of Clint by any means, but if we were given a choice between keeping him or "Sweet Caroline," he stays put.

Tell the usher to find another song to dance to and the pink-hatted Red Sox fans in the crowd to go home and rent "Fever Pitch." This is OUR team, not Boston's, and if all you Ivy Leaguers in town don't like that, tough.

Posted by: Vincent | May 8, 2008 10:33 PM