More Organ, Redux

Emilie Cole

Although I highly doubt that anyone in the Nationals Park office read my humble post seeking more pizazz from the organ player, something must've gotten into the folks behind the soundboard because Friday night's game was a literal organ festivus. It was so delightful!

Apart from it being the perfect night for a ball game, punctuated by a walk-off, two-run homer in the bottom of the ninth, the old timer in me was tickled pink with each vibrating note motivating us to yell, "charge!" Thank you, Nats Park people. Keep it coming.

By Emilie Cole  |  April 28, 2008; 7:45 AM ET  | Category:  Emilie Cole
Previous: We Need More Organ | Next: A Little More Love for the Ballpark

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

More organ at the ballpark is always a good thing. Building traditions take time, but a tradition is not built around the latest (c)rap song. An organist makes it very plain what a fan's supposed to do. Nice to see that they rolled out the Hammond for everyone!

Posted by: DanD187 | April 28, 2008 9:16 AM

I went to Sunday afternoon's game (my first one) and don't recall hearing an organ once.

Posted by: Karl | April 28, 2008 11:11 AM

Unfortunately I heard the same amount of organ on Sunday.

It must've been delightful Friday evening.

Please forward this to the Lerners and Stan Kasten.

Posted by: Tim from Silver Spring | April 28, 2008 11:21 AM

Oops, meant to say I heard the same amount of organ as Karl, meaning - none.

Posted by: Tim from Silver Spring | April 28, 2008 11:22 AM

DanD187,
I know it is customary to seek a connection to minority culture generally and hip-hop/rap [so-called "(c)rap" to you] for all things unpleasant. That being said (and for the record) Justin Timberlake and songs such as "Sexy Back" will never, never fall under the category "rap."

Posted by: phasetoo | April 28, 2008 12:59 PM

I can hear the organ and the roar of the crowd from my living room, and I love it! Love the fireworks, too. Course I guarantee I'll feel the same way by the end of the season.

Posted by: Stadium Neighbor | April 28, 2008 1:55 PM

I didn't hear any organ at yesterday's (Sunday, 4/27) game, but I did hear bleepin' f***in' Sweet Caroline. Get rid of that foreign anthem.

Posted by: OutsideTheLaw | April 28, 2008 2:21 PM

That was my mom's one complaint about the new park at Sunday's game: no organ.

It was funny to watch a guy thrash about when they played Metallica for Jon Rauch's trot out from the bullpen. I doubt freaks thrash and flail about the seats to organ music.

...but I'd still prefer listening to Ernie Hays, like when I was a kid: youtube.com/watch?v=suVHmNusPfc

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | April 28, 2008 3:44 PM

I was listening to Friday's game on the radio and it seems that someone brought a trumpet into the park and was seemingly effective in getting the crowd to cheer at appropriate points in the first half of the game.

Of course, you know how Friday's game turned out, so there's little wonder that the trumpeter quieted down at the end.

Posted by: i hate walks | April 28, 2008 8:03 PM

I am pretty sure any organ music at Nationals Park is canned, not live. It would be nice if D.C. had its own equivalent of Nancy Faust (the legendary Comiskey Park organist of "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye" fame) or the late Paul Richardson in Philadelphia, but no luck.

Posted by: Vincent | May 8, 2008 10:37 PM