No Apology From Nats

J.P. Finlay

In my opening night experience, I explained my friends' attempt to send Happy Birthday wishes via the big screen. We went through the proper channels, sent in the $100 check (which is ridiculous), and waited anxiously during the middle of the fourth inning to see Happy Birthday Hurting Miller scroll in brilliant HD. Our message never came (lucky for me I never kicked in my $33.33 either), and our group of four semi-sober guys standing in the aisle watching the scoreboard was berated by shouts to get out of the way, only in less pleasant terms.

I followed up with my buddy who dealt directly with the Nats to see if they ever cashed the check or offered an apology. He explained that while they didn't cash the check, they offered no apology or possible consolation. In a world with grave injustices: Darfur, global poverty, Nic Cage's acting ability, I realize there are much bigger things to gripe about. I do think a simple apology is in order. Maybe Used Car Kasten will read this and offer one. Imagine if our birthday message was instead intended for a 10-year-old kid; the emotional letdown would have been much more severe. Further, perhaps some cheesy guy was asking his girlfriend to marry him that night via the scoreboard? Now that guy is probably single, his girlfriend leaving him for her ponytailed yoga instructor who "understands" her and is willing to commit. Does Stan really want crying kids and brokenhearted men as the result of scoreboard gaffes? Clearly the Nats can't win many games right now; let's at least keep the fans happy.

By J.P. Finlay  |  April 17, 2008; 11:37 AM ET  | Category:  J.P. Finlay
Previous: Beware of Caps Fans | Next: Testing Out the Bike Valet Service

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

If I ever propose to a girl at all, I don't deserve to be a man...

Posted by: Petts | April 17, 2008 11:55 AM

If the Nats office knows Hurting Miller like we do, then the Nats office made the right call.

Posted by: every dc girl | April 17, 2008 11:58 AM

This is JP's friend who made the request w/ the Nats office. When the name didn't come up, I went over to Guest Services (lower level first base line). The (genuinely nice) guest svcs rep couldn't get a hold of anyone w/ her walkie-talkie so she took down my section and seat number and promised to come to my seat with a resolution(we were sitting last row 1 section over from Guest Svcs..VERY CLOSE). She never came by. 0-2.

Posted by: kevin | April 17, 2008 12:01 PM

The RedLoft should have TV's on the other side of the bar as well so I can watch the Nats and the TV at the same time w/out having to turn around...it's the little things...

Posted by: Petts | April 17, 2008 12:46 PM

Petts-
You forgot to mention the stripper poles.

Posted by: ebaggg | April 17, 2008 2:49 PM

Aren't you the guy who whined about people booing the President? Now you tell us that you were all drunk and standing in the aisle and getting heckled by people because you were blocking their way. Maybe the name came up but you were too drunk/distracted/busy painting your nails to notice?

Posted by: You're a tool | April 17, 2008 4:21 PM

Hey "You're a Tool." You have a "great personality."

Posted by: Tim McClelland | April 17, 2008 10:50 PM

This blog stimulated absolutely no brain activity from me. For once, I have absolutely nothing to say.

Posted by: Fushezzi | April 18, 2008 8:24 AM

Dude. Finlay. Who are all these haters posting comments?

People. It's a fan blog and he's writing about his fan experience. Chill.

Posted by: CGR | April 18, 2008 8:30 AM

Happy Birthday, Hurting! That is kind of a terrible name but what can you do.

Finlay, did you heckle the pope?

Posted by: Nat's Annoyed Fan | April 18, 2008 11:21 AM

Dude, $611 million dollars? And the ball club can't appreciate the fans who house them? Not to mention half those in attendance are there for the away team-- it wouldn't hurt the Nats to try retain these fans as their own by earning extra points with good customer service. As it seems those will be the only points fans may see this year.

Fushezzi speechless? Now that's a sticky situation.

Posted by: Fushezzi'smom | April 18, 2008 12:04 PM

Sorry there are no happy meals at the stadium either, but they do have a cool playground. Maybe the Nat's can make up for it by arranging a manny acta replica pinata for Hurting's bday......

Posted by: Eatery | April 18, 2008 3:03 PM

"In a world with grave injustices: Darfur, global poverty, Nic Cage's acting ability, I realize there are much bigger things to gripe about. I do think a simple apology is in order."

I love it, Finlay. Here is an alternative explanation: it's not her, Kevin, it's you. If the friend making the request was Uri, she'd definitely come back and give everyone a voucher for a hot dog. If it was Farley, she'd definitely come back and they'd go home together after the game. Regardless, may be you, Kevin, need to look within, and you, JP, need to check yo boy.

Posted by: Axel Molotov | April 19, 2008 8:12 PM