PlayStation Pavilion a Welcome Diversion

Greg Young

Desperate to avoid the sight of the Nationals losing their ninth straight game a couple of days ago, my friend and I decided to check out a feature I had long looked at but had so far ignored in the new park: the PlayStation Pavilion.

With the general popularity of video games and the unique feature that the games are free - yes, free - I went in fearing the lines. But as I approached the "Guitar Hero" area, I was stunned. At each of the three places for the game, only two to three people were in line.

"Guitar Hero" was a perfect game to move the lines along, in that after two people were done with a song, which lasted anywhere from three to five minutes, the next people in line were up to play. Before I knew it, I had blown through three songs in 25 minutes, and two innings had passed. The Nationals didn't lowball this area either: All of the games were full versions, not cheap demos.

I also got a great vibe from the "SingStar" station (basically a type of karaoke game.) A nice crowd of about 15 people were there, cheering on the singers, no matter how awful they were. Again, there were no long lines, and everyone got an opportunity to sing.

Bulging from the middle of the pavilion was "Gran Turismo 5," another game with virtually no lines. I was pleased to see that steering wheels are used at each station, not joysticks.

At the far right side of the stadium are a few stations featuring "MLB 08 The Show." I didn't like the game much, so I didn't play too long. It also had the largest lines of any of the games, and the games were frequently interrupted because of the small window of time in which to play.

Still, as a whole, the Playstation Pavilion is a welcome diversion. Gamers, rejoice!

By Greg Young  |  April 14, 2008; 10:25 AM ET  | Category:  Greg Young
Previous: The Family Restroom Experience | Next: Mr. Grumpy Unloads

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Am I the only one wondering why anyone would pay good money to go to a Major League baseball game and then play video games?

Posted by: DunnLoringDenizen | April 14, 2008 7:15 PM

You might have wait to see some robust attendance numbers before experiencing lines at some stupid gaming zone INSIDE A BALLPARK!! Why a gaming zone inside a stadium? Watch the game or go home.

Posted by: eh? | April 15, 2008 11:41 AM

You forgot about the part where I BEAT YOU TWICE IN GUITAR HERO. Suck it.

@ eh?: If the score was 10-2 and your team was about to lose its ninth in a row, you'd be singing your little heart out too.

Posted by: Jason | April 16, 2008 12:05 AM

Sony represents all that is soulless and wrong. Put up a Nintendo Pavilion and maybe I'd be more interested, but then again, I have one at home, why would I want to play one when there's a ballgame on?

Posted by: KR | April 17, 2008 2:36 PM

No way Jason. I'd be soakin' in the beers with my pals, hecklin the other team regardless, and makin plans for what do/where to go next since ballgames with 10-2 scores don't last as long as the real battles.

Posted by: eh? | April 17, 2008 2:45 PM

Still nothing good to say about the team I see...why do you even bother to go at all?

DunnLoring: I know why you don't get it...you're not a teenager with the attention span of a music video or 10 minute show between the commercials break. You probably also get the concept of team loyalty!

Posted by: Annandale Atom | April 26, 2008 8:54 AM