Sausage & Fries, Please

J.P. Finlay

I made my foray into the food at Nats Park last night with an Italian sausage located behind section 111 from Senators Sausage. The grill's aroma of spicy sausages, onions and peppers, along with a relatively empty line, convinced me to go for it. The price of $7 was a little steep, but everything is expensive at the stadium; just know it and accept it. The sausage itself was large, probably seven inches, and thick. The bun was big, made for a sausage, not a converted hot dog bun, and fresh. While the peppers were flavorless, the onions were caramelized and tasty. The sausage itself was cooked almost perfect, a little rubbery when biting all the way through, a good amount of spice without being too hot.

This won't be the best sausage you'll ever have, but at a ball game in a city without a discernible ethnic connection, it was pretty good.

The perfect compliment to the sausage was the Boardwalk fries I took down. The Boardwalk stand is in the right field plaza across from Hard Times, and the line was empty.I walked right up to the cashier and got a cup of fries for $5. The fries were great, as they have been every summer of my life on the Delaware shore. Vinegar and Old bay were readily available, making the Boardwalk Fry experience authentic; great job by the Nats to get the real thing in the stadium. One complaint: Napkins aren't available at the condiment stand, you have to go back to the register for them.

I really wanted to try Hard Times' wings but didn't get the chance; would love to hear a review though. Also would like it if the Nats could win a game. How long ago does 3-0 seem?

By J.P. Finlay  |  April 10, 2008; 1:22 PM ET  | Category:  J.P. Finlay
Previous: Taking the Nats Express | Next: The Thrill Is Gone -- What's Left?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I walked right to the front of a line at Ben's -- at 6:50 -- and was immediately served and checked out. By very friendly people. I'm sure that taking individual orders will slow things down a little, but they seemed to be getting the hang of it.

Your complaint about the napkins holds true at Ben's as well -- and don't forget to ASK for spoon for a bowl of chili.

Maybe they expected us to use straws . . . ?

Posted by: 241 Scott | April 10, 2008 2:05 PM

boardwalk fries are the best thing I've had there so far. Old bay, vinegar and ketchup make the fries.

Still haven't tried ben's or hardtimes at the park. I think a chili mac is in my near future.

Posted by: pstew | April 10, 2008 2:18 PM

You love sausage.

Posted by: Dick Trickle | April 10, 2008 2:19 PM

You went to the game last night?! You two timing bastard!!!

Posted by: Fushezzi | April 10, 2008 3:01 PM

>>The Boardwalk stand is in the right field plaza across from Hard Times

It's in the left field plaza, bamma.

Posted by: Bookake | April 10, 2008 3:16 PM

The previous posters name.....now that's what I call a sticky situation.

Posted by: Fushezzi | April 10, 2008 3:17 PM

Senators' Sausages? I prefer President's.

Posted by: Monica L. | April 10, 2008 3:49 PM

And we're back! It wouldn't be the same if Fushezzi actually brought anything constructive to the table so thank you for not pulling any punchs F.

As far as sausages go I appreciate your acknowledgment of lack of discernible ethnic connection in your review as it does make a difference when deciding what to eat. But fries at the beach? That's so Atlantic.

Posted by: Fushezzi'smom | April 10, 2008 4:18 PM

Reading JP's posts is like listening to an ignorant frat boy and his "brothers" on the front porch of their beat up frat house drinking and harassing passer's by. Go ahead... harass me now. I know you want to.

Posted by: Nats Annoyed Chick | April 10, 2008 4:33 PM

I should say I am annoyed by those posting comments to JP's posts, and not JP himself.

Posted by: Nats Annoyed Chick | April 10, 2008 4:38 PM

Hey Nats Annoyed Chick what's wrong did your get to pick up new batteries for your BOB!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 7:32 AM

I think it's time Nats Annoyed Chick sat on one of those sausages.

Posted by: Axel Molotov | April 11, 2008 11:18 AM

I love you Nats Annoyed Chick.

Posted by: pstew | April 11, 2008 11:32 AM

Nats annoyed chick may or may not be Marge Schott.

Posted by: Barry Larkin | April 14, 2008 12:07 PM

I made my foray into the drunkeness at Nats Park last night with an cold budweiser from the beer guy camped out at the top of my section. The beer's aroma of perfectly aged hops, cold brewed, along with a need of a drink, convinced me to go for it. The price of $7.50 was a little steep, but not as steep and the rod I had for a beer; just know it and accept it. The beer itself was large, probably seven inches, and in a cold aluminum can. The can fit perfectly in my hand and send chills up my arm and began the instinctive salivation for a bubbly treat. The beer was fresh, made especially for drinking. As the cap came open the foam exploded and I caught the remnants with my tounge as it slid down the side of the bottle. While barley flavorless, the tastey treat send tingles all over my body. The aftertaste was clean and refreshing, yet a bit flat in the last sip.

Thanks for the inspiration.....

Posted by: Eatery | April 14, 2008 4:30 PM