The Family Restroom Experience

Brooke Family

From Carol: The first thing I noticed when we arrived at the stadium via the Centerfield entrance yesterday was a lengthy line for the "family restroom" off to the right. At least 10 families were waiting for their turn. For those of you who don't know -- and I didn't before I had kids -- a family restroom is a single room that contains a toilet, a sink and most importantly, a door that can be locked so that mom or dad can take care of their business without worrying that one of the youngsters might escape while the parent is otherwise occupied. Every member of the family can find relief and get cleaned up while in the family restroom. But that can take some time, even for the smallest of families, so when you encounter a family restroom line that is 10 families deep, it might be wise to move on.

On the Gallery level where we sit, there are two family restrooms. At first, I thought that just two could not possibly accommodate the number of families that might need the facilities, but there was no line any of the times I walked by either of the family restrooms yesterday. So, my advice is to avoid the lines at the front of the stadium and head closer to your seats. You might not have to stand in line, and the bathroom may even be in a better condition because it has been used less.

And please remember to be courteous to the next family who will visit the restroom. Please be sure to clean up after yourself. Yesterday, I entered a family restroom twice to find remnants of the last family's seat cover. If you've hung out with an active 18-month-old, you probably understand that uttering the words, "Don't touch that" is fairly useless.

By Brooke Family  |  April 14, 2008; 7:00 AM ET  | Category:  Brooke Family
Previous: Hope | Next: PlayStation Pavilion a Welcome Diversion

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

good stuff. keep it coming!

Posted by: CGR | April 14, 2008 10:26 AM

i was surprised to find no changing table in the family bathroom in center field.... not sure about the rest of them...

Posted by: t | April 14, 2008 11:42 AM

I know that I saw a baby changing station in one of the family restrooms but I don't remember if there was one in the second one that I checked out. Boy would it stink to wait in line only to find no changing station! There was definitely one in each of the women's rooms that I visited. I wonder if there is one in the men's room. And if there isn't, why not???

Posted by: Carol Brooke | April 14, 2008 12:52 PM

Do you find that a lot of women (w no kids in tow) use the "family" restrooms. I have noticed that a time or 3. curious

Posted by: family or wormen | April 14, 2008 2:01 PM

I have not been to Nationals Park, but I use the family/handicap restrooms at Dulles (and other airports) whenever possible. They are typically cleaner and I don't need to worry about watching my bags. This is tough to get away with at a busy airport like Atlanta, but Terminal B at Dulles is rarely that busy.

Posted by: Mike Sorce | April 14, 2008 9:12 PM

Next game I'll go in search of one of these. On Sunday I took my four-year-old daughter and had to use the men's room near 404. It was impossible to find a dry seat, but she had to go.

I wonder if the kids dancing around cross-legged get head-of-the-line privileges?

Posted by: TRF | April 15, 2008 12:09 PM

Maybe you should come to New Orleans and experience the family Port-a-potties at Jazz Fest!!!

Posted by: Paul | April 15, 2008 8:55 PM