The Lanyard Conundrum

Rachel Gibson

It's pretty nice, as far as lanyards go. Nice thick red ribbon with curly Ws on it. Quality metal clasps on the top two corners. But what do I do with it?

At first I laughed when I read we'd get a promotional lanyard for Opening Day. It's kind of nerdy, but we ARE a government town. Why not lanyards? I guess I'd wear mine at work.

But they're clearly not meant for government IDs. Too big. They're meant to hold your game ticket around your neck, ostensibly to make it easier to flash when every other usher asks if you're sitting in this or that section. But that's another discussion.

Opening Day is so momentous, every item from the day has huge meaning attached to it, including the lanyard. Right now mine is sitting in a tidy pile with the other historical mementos, all still out where I can see them: A program with inaugural sticker, the ticket, the Opening Day hat I bought, the rally towel, the used napkin from my Opening Day hot dog. (Kidding on the napkin). But frankly in a year or two I doubt the lanyard's going to be the thing that evokes nostalgia. It's meant to be used.

It looked pretty cool Opening Day because everyone had one and most people wore theirs. It is pretty handy for keeping your ticket accessible and in pristine condition. But what happens Monday, the start of the team's first real homestand? Is anyone going to remember to bring it with them Monday morning for the game after work? If I bring mine, will I be the only one wearing it? Will I look dorky if I do?

My next game isn't until Wednesday. Maybe someone going to Monday's game can clue me in on the lanyard scene so I'll know what to do.

By Rachel Gibson  |  April 4, 2008; 11:49 AM ET  | Category:  Rachel Gibson
Previous: Metro Card Update | Next: Cycling to the Game

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Truthfully, I would have preferred an opening day cap like last year. That lanyard will be not so much fun to wear during the hot days of July and August. I"m not wearing mine to Monday night's game either.

Posted by: Chevy Chase Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 12:25 PM

Lanyards are great. They free your hands, and yes...you will have to show your ticket to move around the park. So what they're saying is - have your ticket handy, and we'd like to help.

There should be no sense of entitlement that should be even entertained that because you're in the park that you can sit anywhere you want. I know I'd be pretty hot if I went to my seat that I paid $325 for and someone was there.

Wear the lanyard. Be cool. :o)

Posted by: DanD187 | April 4, 2008 12:44 PM

As far as giveaways go, I could go without most. All I really care about are bobbleheads. I became a season ticket holder last year, so my first bobblehead was GW. But I have all four and they are proudly displayed on my bookshelf at work. Lanyards aren't for me, and I really don't care for the cap with etickets or Budweiser embroidered on it. But a bobblehead--I'll beg, borrow or steal for one! In fact, I nearly got into a bar fight with a fella who swore I stole his TJ. I didn't, and I was sure to tell him all about it.

Posted by: Kyra | April 4, 2008 12:58 PM

You write: "If I bring mine, will I be the only one wearing it? Will I look dorky if I do? "

As a complete geek who bought a Nationals lanyard in 2005 [also seemingly-designed to hold a three-foot-long ticket], and has worn it at many a game, I can unequivocally answer:

Posted by: 241 Scott | April 4, 2008 1:00 PM

I thought the same thing, until I realized that being a keeper of Opening Day tickets (I've framed a couple and collect each one...errrr....four now) this is going to be something I only use once a year. But it sure will come in handy next April, after which point I'll pack it away for 2010.

Wonder if they have like a 30 year warranty on them?

Posted by: MountieNatsFan | April 4, 2008 1:10 PM

The Wiz give lanyards to planholders, and they're very handy. (Especially since plan tickets are larger than regular Ticketmaster tix and not as easy to slip into a pocket.) They're a common sight in the phone booth, and I don't know that your average basketball fan is exponentially dorkier than your average baseball fan. Wear the lanyard; use the lanyard; be one with the lanyard.

Posted by: Wizards Fan | April 4, 2008 1:29 PM

Don't misunderstand my snark about the ushers. Absolutely no feelings here of entitlement to sit where I like.

The snark comes from ushers asking for tickets when we were just walking around exploring, not even looking like we were going to sit down; and once after I had just left my seat, right in front of an usher who moved out of my way and smiled at me.

Even then, I don't really fault them too much. It's all new and better they start hard and soften up than the other way around.

But like I said, that can be a whole separate discussion.

Posted by: Rachel | April 4, 2008 1:48 PM

By 2015 every man, woman, and child will be wearing a lanyard around their necks because nationwide obesity will have rendered pockets nonfunctional.

Posted by: M Street | April 4, 2008 3:39 PM

Giving credit to my lovely wife Kyra for the suggestion, but the landyards can be easily modified with a pair of needle-nose pliers to be more suitable for a work ID. Or, you could find a smaller badge holder. I am not planning on wearing my landyard to another game, we sit in the lower rent section, so I don't expect we will have to flash credentials very much.

Posted by: Brian | April 4, 2008 4:31 PM

Right now my lanyard is at home, hanging from a corner of my desk hutch, holding my used Exhibition Game and Opening Day tickets. I figure I'll keep my used game tickets in there until they stop fitting. It never even occurred to me that the lanyards might be meant for wearing at the park on anything but Opening Day!

I actually did try wearing mine at work: I just connected both ends to my badges. But the material is much wider than any other lanyard I've ever used, and I kinda felt like a dork. So I went back to my usual one. :)

Posted by: Section 312 | April 4, 2008 6:46 PM

I, like Brian, modified mine and wear it with a work badge. I tried to trade it for another towel, but no deal. I think it looks as good as some of those business lanyards that give free advertising. I'd rather show my allegiance to the Nats.

Posted by: Richard 320 | April 4, 2008 7:34 PM