Tonight's Traffic Test

Derek Teslik

Tonight will be the first test of the city's ability to handle the traffic crunch of a 7:10 p.m. start at Nats Park and a real rush hour. The weekend games don't count. Assuming a healthy crowd tonight, which is quite possible for the second game of the season at the new park, we will have some sense as to how the roads will hold up and how far in advance you need to leave a downtown office to make the first pitch.

According to the NatCast, it'll be chilly, but the light drizzle shouldn't seriously snarl the roadways. I'll be driving from near Dupont Circle and will, of course, report back.

What are your plans to get there tonight?

By Derek Teslik  |  April 7, 2008; 10:12 AM ET  | Category:  Derek Teslik
Previous: Cycling to the Game | Next: Missing the Flexibility of RFK

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I was totally satisfied with the Nats Express the first two nights and am optimistic for more of the same this evening. I've heard there is a soccer game at RFK Wednesday. I'm wondering how that will work out. Will lot 8 be reserved for the United fans? We shall see, I guess.

Posted by: chin music | April 7, 2008 10:39 AM

I've given my tix for tonight's game to a good cause, so I'll wait to hear how well the city has sorted out traffic.

Wednesday nigth will be the Metro trip to Capitol South, and my first experience with the walk under the freeway and down to the stadium.

A friend who will meet me at the Park on Sunday said he'll be using RFK Express. When I expressed my vague distaste for it, he asked "what's wrong with it? It's free, and easy. A straight shot to the parking lot. Shorter waits than on the Metro platform."

I have to concede that he's right; I have a hard time with shooting it down. IF the Nats keep the same number of buses and same number of attendants!

Enjoy the game.

Posted by: 241 Scott | April 7, 2008 10:44 AM

I'm going to be coming up 395 to RFK and then catching the Nats Express...hopefully it works well tonight!

Posted by: A Different Michael | April 7, 2008 12:30 PM

I think the real test will be on Wednesday night when the Nats, Wizards and DC United all play home games with a 7PM-7:30pm start time for all three games. Oh and don't forget Rush Hour trafic.

Posted by: Tutu Akins | April 7, 2008 2:17 PM

Update: No traffic whatsoever. 21st and M NW to the park in 20 min door to door.

Posted by: Derek | April 8, 2008 7:13 AM