We Need More Organ

Emilie Cole

The Nationals organ player could learn a little something from one of my favorite "Saturday Night Live" skits featuring Will Farrell and a cowbell.

As Farrell ridiculously clonks away on the "instrument" in his typical over-the-top fashion, he also annoys the bejesus out of the rest of his fellow Blue Öyster Cult members. The record producer (played by a convincing Christopher Walken), however, keeps interrupting the demo with the instructions, "I gotta have more cowbell!"

If only Farrell's spirit could permeate the soul of the organ player at Nationals Park! Rather than the embarrassing blaring of songs like "Sexy Back" (seriously guys??) or, conversely, long stretches of complete silence, we need more organ!

I want to hear the organ player taunting the other team's players with ironic references to "Hail to the Chief," John Philip Sousa and other patriotic fanfare on their trip to D.C. I want to hear the rising scales of those four consecutive notes (doo doo doo doo -- you know what I'm talkin' about) so many times that I can't fall asleep because I can't get them out of my head. Yes, my ears crave the delightful sound of the baseball-park organ more than my pride craves a winning streak.

So come on, Mr. Organ Man: Earn that money and give us that old-timey jive. I mean, you can even play "Sexy Back" if you want to.

By Emilie Cole  |  April 25, 2008; 3:45 PM ET  | Category:  Emilie Cole
Previous: Metro Headaches | Next: More Organ, Redux

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I think the organ music is canned, but a live organist would be a great move. "Heart" from Damn Yankees would sound great on the organ too.

Posted by: WFY | April 25, 2008 4:16 PM

I think that we need an organist that knows why he's playing. He's got to know that his "doo doo doo doo" rallies the fans, who in turn rally the team.

Let's go Nat-ion-nals
Let's go Zim-mer-man
Let's go Or-gan-ist

(I got a million of 'em)

Posted by: Veritasamus | April 25, 2008 11:18 PM

I still think the stadium staff is working out the kinks. Last night (cubs), the scoreboard had the cubs hitting and nats pitching when in fact, it was just the opposite. But the stadium is great and the environment is fantastic.

Posted by: yankeenica | April 26, 2008 8:53 AM

I'm definitely up for more organ, and less of the rock and roll "schmooz-a-tainment". While I know we're not watching silent movies anymore too, the mighty Hammond Organ IS the second most recognizable musical item next to 'Take Me Out to the Ball-game'.

I'll volunteer!

Posted by: DanD187 | April 26, 2008 11:56 AM

This is off-topic but I just had a very unusual experience at Friday evening's game and I wonder if anyone else has had the same:

I was sitting in Row A of section 302 and stood in between innings to stretch my legs. I was admonished by the usher to sit down because I was preventing people from seeing. The only thing I was preventing them from seeing was Clint on the scoreboard.

The usher said people were forbidden from standing, even between innings, and not just in the first row, except when leaving/arriving or to let others in or out.

I've been to hundreds of major league games, and five at the new ballpark, and this one is new to me. It's insane. And, looking around the ballpark, largely unenforced.

Has anyone else had the same experience, or was this just one usher who was taking her new job a little too seriously?

Posted by: Meridian | April 27, 2008 11:35 AM

I agree about needing more organ. I also feel that they need to turn the audio up a few notches. I don't know if the sound is lost because of the stadium acoustics, but if they'd turn it up a bit I think the fans would get more involved.

Posted by: Brooksie | April 28, 2008 12:26 PM