Beware of Caps Fans

Gillum Ferguson

When I went to the game on Sunday, I took the metro, reasoning that it couldn't be too crowded. After all it was the Braves, most people were just waking up from the Saturday night parties by game time, and our beloved Nats had just lost their last 9 games (yikes!). Unfortunately for me, i forgot about the other team in Washington and all their bandwagon fans.

Yes, the metro was crowded with many a Caps fan going to the first game of the NHL playoffs. Now, I wouldn't mind if these people were die hard fans, but the fact of the matter is that there aren't many in D.C.

Most of these people were sporting their own (most likely brand new) Alex Ovechkin jerseys and were probably going to their first ever hockey game. I suspect most of these people can't even name more than five NHL teams, unless they're from Canada, Minnesota or Buffalo, where the lakes remain frozen until Memorial Day.

Of course, I couldn't name more than a handful of hockey teams, nor could I tell you what the "A" stands for on Ovechkin's jersey. I just get a bit peeved when people get in an uproar over a team they didn't even know existed until they made the playoffs. I applaud those Caps fans who have been with the team from when they were in last in the Eastern Conference to their rise to the top of the Southeast Division.

So anyway, a word to the wise: if you are taking the metro to a Nats game on the same day as a Caps home playoff game, be prepared for getting to know everyone in your train car just a bit better. If you're coming in from Virginia like me, you'll most likely be able to breathe again once everyone gets off at Metro Center. But until all the Caps fans get off, have fun being squeezed between two 20-year-olds wearing their brand new Ovechkin jerseys.

By Gillum Ferguson  |  April 16, 2008; 5:58 PM ET  | Category:  Gillum Ferguson
Previous: Mr. Grumpy Redux | Next: No Apology From Nats

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sigh. That's really a pathetic post.

A. If you knew anything about the sports in this town, you'd know that Sunday was Game#2, Friday was Game#1.

B. Yeah, most anyone in a red jersey was wearing a new jersey. Why? Because the Caps updated their uniforms this year.

C. Most people at a Nats game can't name more than 5 Nats, so don't go calling other fans bandwaggon.

Get over yourself and your all so self important interests. There are FOUR other sports teams in this city and all four have a better history and relationship with its fans.

Posted by: Kim | April 16, 2008 9:16 PM

Are you serious? You're peeved that the metro wasn't sufficiently empty? And the nerve of people to go to Caps game when there's a Nats game!

I just want to warn you of something. Late in the summer there may be some football games on. There's a team called the Redskins and, well, sometimes they even cover them on the news. You should be forewarned -- in case there are simultaneous Nats and Skins games -- some people will actually drive their cars (on our public roads!) to the stadium. I hope that won't upset your baseball experience too much.

Posted by: tim | April 16, 2008 10:06 PM

Sorry but Metro serves fans of all the DC sports teams, not just the Nats, as well as other passengers. I have been taking Metro to Caps games for years. It will be interesting to see your reaction to taking Metro home from a Nats game and finding the train filled with DC United fans when it arrives at your station. Your reasoning for determining that all the Caps fans on the Metro were all "bandwagon fans" is just sad and so misguided. I bought a NEW Caps Rock the Red shirt for the playoffs so by your reasoning I must be a bandwagon fan even thought I have season tickets.

Posted by: Cathy | April 16, 2008 10:41 PM

It's tempting to rip on you, but your post speaks for itself. For your own sake do some homework and get some actual facts next time.

Posted by: EricS | April 16, 2008 11:51 PM

I thought hockey was on strike?

Is Alex O. Vetchkin related to Alex P. Keaton?

Posted by: Fushezzi | April 17, 2008 7:02 AM

The A on his jersey stands for Alex. Its so the equipment manager doesn't get his jersey mixed up with defenseman Frank Ovechkin.

We're getting these ridiculously inane posts instead of JP's?

Hey fushezzi, i'm having a "saturday night party" this weekend if you wanna come. Its on friday though.

Posted by: pstew | April 17, 2008 8:47 AM

Easily the dumbest post in this series so far. Even if they are brand new jerseys - so what? At least they have someone to get excited about. Will the Nats wine more games this year than the Caps did?

Posted by: AlexVa1 | April 17, 2008 9:46 AM

Ferg, you are a looser who does not deserve to post on here anymore. Please do us all a favor and beat it.

Posted by: Dad | April 17, 2008 11:07 AM

As a 30-year fan of the Caps, and four-year fan of the Nationals (since, of course, they've only been around four years), this is one of the silliest things I've ever read.

Why do you feel it's necessary to tear down the fans of one team in order to somehow build up another team?

And you do know that Mark Lerner is a minority owner of the Caps and was at game one of the Caps series, right?

Posted by: The Fingerman | April 17, 2008 1:13 PM

I'm not sure I understand the point of this post. Other people were on the Metro at the same time as you? Wow - what a revelation.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | April 17, 2008 3:22 PM

Hey Fergie can we get some kind of response from you?

Posted by: pstew | April 18, 2008 9:12 AM

some people gotta calm down, its just a blog post, the kids gotta point, how many of u guys have actually been to a caps game?

Posted by: foronda | April 19, 2008 12:14 AM

Well, the Caps have routinely been drawing 18k per night.

A sizable number. This issue is that this Post takes a senseless swipe at another local team out of pure ignorance.

Posted by: Kim | April 19, 2008 5:03 PM

You are an idiot. The very fact that people are taking public transit rather than littering the road with automobiles is commendable. If you yourself don't know anything about the Caps, or hockey, then shut the hell up.

Posted by: Bob Loblaw | April 22, 2008 9:14 AM

PS - It's clear you don't know anything about baseball either. Resign now and do the honorable thing.

Posted by: Bob Loblaw | April 22, 2008 11:50 AM

Guys, stop ripping poor Gil. He really is just a highschooler with connections who somehow landed a job despite the fact he cant write for s#!*. I understand he is a fairweather fan and very disloyal to washington, but cut him a break he's just a kid.

Posted by: Nick Lulli | April 29, 2008 9:01 PM