Bike Valet: Tip or No Tip?

Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard

Last night as I left Nats Park, bobbleheads strapped securely in my bike basket, I noticed a man tip the bike valet attendants. I honestly had not thought about tipping the very kind gentlemen who bring me a pen and tag and tape it to my bike before I move it to a bike rack. I appreciate their kindness and their hard work, and I offer many thanks after a long, hard-fought victory or a crushing defeat inside the park, but isn't a thank-you enough? Or should I start bringing ones to the park for my guys at the bike valet?

By Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard  |  May 2, 2008; 11:25 AM ET  | Category:  Kyra DeBlaker-Gebhard
Previous: Tables, Please! | Next: Beer Cup Blues

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Maybe once in a while give 'em a fiver and say, "Thanks! I use this all the time." That might be more philosophically sound and sincere than always giving them a dollar just because you think you have to.

Posted by: Cole | May 2, 2008 12:53 PM

Do you tip the usher after they wipe off your seat? Is handing over a $1 or $2 tip really going to put a dent in your pocket?

Posted by: Shawn | May 2, 2008 2:08 PM

Heck no.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 2, 2008 10:28 PM

Let the monopolists pay their people from the $611 million subsidy.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | May 2, 2008 10:29 PM

I tend to err on the side of appreciation when it comes to low-wage people handling my stuff, and especially when they control out of sight variables.

Posted by: Jake | May 3, 2008 8:41 AM

More discussion about Bike Valet, please.

I let them park my bike for me when I arrived on Sunday, but I had to pick it out of the crowd as the guy hadn't figured out a way to key my ticket to where he parked it.

I doubt I'll use the Bike Valet again because it is so ridiculously out of the way from all of the entrances and approaches that I would take to the Park (I mean, it's on the South Eastern Side). I think the only reasons I would use the bike valet are as follows:

1) Rain is likely, but I biked there.
2) I have a trailer or other bike accessory that doesn't lend itself well to a simple bike lock on the curly w bike racks.
3) They allowed overnight bike parking and I had biked there after work and didn't want to ride home in the dark.

Posted by: Phil | May 7, 2008 1:37 PM

If you tip the people at the concessions stand who open a beer for you, you should most definitely tip these guys because there's actual legwork involved.

Posted by: Matt | May 8, 2008 9:14 AM

they dont ask for tips so dont make it look like they ask its just polite. Really, will a dollar or two hurt your pocket.

Posted by: joe | May 29, 2008 11:46 PM