Hot Dog Love

Rachel Gibson

My friend Heather noticed several hot dog options at Nationals Park, so we walked around with my little notebook the other day to get a tally. Take a wild guess how many different kinds of hot dogs there are at the ballpark. Four? Eight? Try 18!

The game was starting and we wanted to get back to our seats, so we may have missed a couple. Feel free to add to the list.

Nats Dog
Ben's half smoke all the way
Ben's regular chili dog
Ben's turkey dog
Ben's all beef hot dog
Hebrew National 1/4 hot dog
Kielbasa
Foot-long
Spicy Italian
Bratwurst
Cajun corn dog
Pretzel dog
Kosher dog
Kosher spicy Italian
Hard Times chili dog
Hard times all beef hot dog
Smoked sausage
Veggie dog

I've only tried three so far and the cajun corn dog is right up there with Ben's half smoke all the way. The pretzel dog is next on my list. What are your favorites?

By Rachel Gibson  |  May 27, 2008; 2:46 PM ET  | Category:  Food , Rachel Gibson
Previous: Nats Park Is a Sanctuary to the Sun | Next: Can You Hear It Now?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The Hebrew National is a good, decent-value dog. At $5.50, it's worth the little extra over the standard Nats Dog.

At the ballpark, just gimme a dog with yellow mustard, some relish and maybe some onions, and a cold beer. I don't need anything else.

Posted by: Annandale Annie | May 27, 2008 2:55 PM

I like everything the two "Senators Sausages" stands I've found have to offer: Kielbasa, Italian Sausage and the Foot Long Hot Dog. But the lines are often long.

But if you're in a hurry and don't want to miss the action while standing in line, try the "Slice Down the Line" operations. The name says "Pizza," and indeed Papa John's finest is sold there, but they also have good Italian Sausage available. I can usually dash back to the "Slice Down the Line" on the upper deck at about Section 310, get a sausage and make it back to the top of seating bowl without missing a pitch between innings.

Posted by: Tom Brooke | May 27, 2008 3:48 PM

My cardiologist and all of my ex-wives have suggested I avoid hot dogs, so I've only gone for the veggie dog. I got one once, and it was cold and uncooked. But I slathered some mustard on it, and I'll be damned if it wasn't a delicious hot dog.

The last two times I've waited in line, they stopped to drop the thing in the deep fryer. I suggested to them that they keep their fried veggie dogs.

Posted by: 241 Scott | May 27, 2008 3:52 PM

I'm sorry, but I couldn't stop cracking up at the title to this post. If you're a woman blogger, you just *can't* entitle your post "Hot Dog Love." Was this intended to be a joke?

Posted by: annoyed natsfan | May 27, 2008 4:02 PM

Hey, you clicked on it, didn't you? ;)

Posted by: Anonymous | May 27, 2008 4:04 PM

My son had the kosher italian sausage on Sunday. He said it was acceptable, but nothing to write home about. I cannot eat a hot dog (or polish sausage) without sauerkraut, but every time I've gone up to a stand to order one, they are either out of sauerkraut or told me that the tube steak I wanted didn't come with it.

I did have a half-smoke all the way at my second game. It was OK, but reminded me of the "coney dogs" I used to get in Detroit. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Posted by: Ed Ramras | May 27, 2008 4:24 PM

What's a "kosher Italian sausage"? Every Italian sausage that I have ever eaten was pork-based. That may be why your son found the one at the ballpark to be "acceptable" since it was clearly some oddball food product. What's next? Kosher shrimp?

Posted by: The View from 222 | May 27, 2008 10:22 PM

The hot dog is a type of sausage, as are kielbasa, Italian, bratwurst, and the half smoke.

Posted by: Lindemann | May 28, 2008 1:32 AM

"Kosher Italian Sausage" is what it says on the menu board--includes peppers and onions, which I think may be the determining factor. I'll ask them what's in it next time I buy my nightly knish, but I assume they'll say it's the spices.

Posted by: Ed Ramras | May 28, 2008 11:38 AM

The hot dogs at 5 Guys are great. I like to get mine with ketchup, mustard, tomato, pickles and jalepenos. Mmmmmmmm...good!

Posted by: steve | May 28, 2008 1:49 PM

I buy my hot dogs at the supermarket. For the price of one overpriced dog at the game, I get eight, plus buns, done MY way on MY grill. That way, if there is anyone to blame it's me. I still can't get over the pricing at sporting events. I haven't eaten or had anything to drink at a sports arena/stadium for 15 years now unless I bring it myself. But more power to those who feel the need to drop an hour's worth of work on something that costs $0.32 even after factoring in employee and utility costs.

Posted by: Sect. 112 | May 28, 2008 3:49 PM

"But more power to those who feel the need to drop an hour's worth of work on something that costs $0.32 even after factoring in employee and utility costs."

If you can afford the $40-45 seats in sectin 112, I'm sure you make enough in an hour to have a good meal and get hammered at the ballpark.

Posted by: (419 + 1) * 0 | May 28, 2008 9:42 PM

I love the Ben's all-the-way half smokes served in the Stars and Stripes Club. Was EXTREMELY dissapointed in my one Senators Sausage experience. An undercooked, cold kielbasa. Yuck. Had to trash it. I would have taken it back, but didn't want to miss more game action. I chalk that one up to a lesson learned and will never go back to that stand.

Posted by: Chin Music | May 28, 2008 10:28 PM

I've been having a hard time finding a stand that offers saurkraut, as ridiculous as that might sound! Any suggestions??

Posted by: Kraut Fraulein | May 29, 2008 1:51 PM

Oooh, where were the veggie dogs? My friend & I walked ALL OVER the park and couldn't find any vegetarian options that weren't cheese pizza.

Posted by: Joyce | May 29, 2008 3:23 PM

the veggie dogs are at the "grand stand grill." i think there are three of them: i know one is on the 100 level on the third base side and one is on the 300 level (near section 317).

Posted by: andy | June 6, 2008 9:57 AM