Scoreboard Is Much Improved

Brooke Family

Wow, what an improvement!

Okay, now I'm impressed. I'd like to think that because Nationals management reads this blog, the powers that be realized that the Monster high definition scoreboard was failing to live up to its potential.

Or maybe they just figured out some of the features of the computer program that runs the thing. Either way, the scoreboard at the late afternoon game vs. the Braves last night featured a vastly improved layout.

The lineups for both teams were listed throughout the game with positions and numbers. Stats for hitters and pitchers appeared in the right places for the actual players on the field. Pitch counts were up-to-date and accurate. These changes alone were departures from games past.

I found the new layout easy to read, informative and relevant to the game on the field. My wife adds that it was aesthetically pleasing as well. It was kind of pretty.

By Brooke Family  |  May 1, 2008; 10:59 AM ET  | Category:  Brooke Family , Scoreboard
Previous: Roar & Peace | Next: Tables, Please!

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I agree. I've noticed that every few games there are some improvements to the way the scoreboards are run. I think they are close to getting it right though - all the information you need is now available and easy to find.

In addition, the time is now posted in many places, which is good as well, since they seem to not want to somehow change the "W" clock so you can actually read it.

Posted by: section 113 | May 1, 2008 11:49 AM

I'd like to see more replays. They seem to think that if they show replays of close plays, a riot will break out. As a result, we see replays only of boring plays. If I promise not to riot, can I please see more replays? Please? That's such a great big scoreboard and my seats aren't good enough to see very well. Pleeeeeease?

Posted by: dl004d | May 1, 2008 12:46 PM

Well, i suppose it's better, but it's certainly not up to its potential, or on par with other ballparks.

I've been to 4 games this year, and my latest was Tuesday night.

It was improved on Tuesday, but the pitch count was still incorrect most of the game. It would typically lag one or two pitches behind, or just be completely incorrect.

In all honestly, that is completely unacceptable. It is the little things like this that will make or break DC as a baseball town. I grew in Boston, in a family that had season tickets to the Sox. I have the patience to wait out the Nats, but come on, the effort has to be made by them as well.

Posted by: DCmarathoner | May 1, 2008 2:08 PM

Anyone want to bet whether the Mets and/or Yankees will have similar problems with their new scoreboards next season? Something tells me they'll do what's necessary to get things right before the season starts.

Stan and Co. are like the gang that can't shoot straight. And then when things go wrong, Stan grandstands for us all and says some nonsense like "this is unacceptable! We need to do better!" How about this, Stan: get something right the first time.

Posted by: annoyed natsfan | May 1, 2008 2:29 PM

Maybe I missed it, but where is the radar gun readings? Knowing what kind of stuff the pitcher is bringing is a great part of the fun for me. Also, since my seats are actually in rightfield, the scoreboard is pretty much impossible to see. I know this string is about the scoreboard, but does anyone like the slew of advertising throughout the stadium? Go Nats!

Posted by: bbullets | May 1, 2008 3:18 PM

Yes to replays galore! I know a slew of broadcasting college majors who would do it all summer, and for free. Get on it, guys!

Posted by: Cole | May 1, 2008 3:30 PM

this past Tuesday the scoreboard had improved a bit, but was still having trouble with pitch counts and had a few other problems when new innings began or players changed.

The lack of synchonization between live audio and video is amateurish (ie when Clint is harrassing fans or during the National Anthem).

The fact that the replays (few and far between) are squished from a 4:3 image is absolutely shameful.

Posted by: jindc | May 1, 2008 3:34 PM

The differences between the scoreboard on Tuesday and Wednesday were significant! If you weren't there yesterday, you have not seen the latest version. The pitch speed is up there, along with the accurate pitch count. I do wish they'd leave the speed up there a little longer. If you aren't looking, it's gone.

Yes, the Curly W Clock needs a makeover. Maybe they should illuminate the arms? But the revised scoreboard had a nice digital clock right in the middle and there's another by the visitor's bullpen.

They should have taken the DC clock out of RFK.

Posted by: Tom Brooke | May 1, 2008 4:05 PM

I agree that the main scoreboard is looking much better. It would be nice for us scorekeepers to have the lineups posted before the game starts. (And while I'm at it, let me make a pitch for a somewhat larger scorecard.) It also would be nice not to use the out-of-town scoreboard for electronic cheerleading--there are seemingly endless miles of ribbon advertising scoreboards for running LET'S GO NATS cheers that are ignored by the fans.

Posted by: Ed Ramras | May 2, 2008 11:05 AM

One thing that would be helpful is if they would run scores from local sports teams between innings (or something). I went to the game on Sunday, which was being played at the same time as Game 4 of the Wizards-Cavs series. I'm not saying they have to run a constant, ESPN-style scroll, but it would have been nice to have had an idea of what was going on with the local professional basketball sports franchise playoff game . . .

Posted by: Bucky Katt | May 2, 2008 3:07 PM

Bucky, that is a good point. The Nats should post the scores for other DC teams playing in playoff games. If the Nats were competently managed and run by people who had DC roots, they would do this. I was watching the Phillies game on Wednesday, and of course they regularly showed the score in the Flyers game. Why is it that the Nats are so incapable of doing things that are commonplace for other MLB teams?

Posted by: annoyed natsfan | May 2, 2008 10:30 PM

Has anyone noticed that there is no linescore display (showing inning-by-inning scoring for each team)visible to the fans sitting under the main scoreboard? There needs to be an auxiliary linescore board visible to those under the main scoreboard. I have never before seen a ballpark lacking such a fundamental feature.

Posted by: Ed in Alex | May 3, 2008 11:08 AM

Posted by: dl004d | May 1, 2008 12:46 PM

--Talk to Major League Baseball, Bud Selig seems to think you're an idiot and will riot because you bought a beer. This has been a long-time rule. Plus, the umpires might get upset that someone agrees with them if they show a close play that actually shows the umpire is right. Heaven forbid someone shout out, "Hey ump, you got it right!!! Good job".

Posted by: Jarrod. | May 5, 2008 11:33 AM

Posted by: Ed in Alex | May 3, 2008 11:08 AM

Ed, Oriole Park at Camden Yards is like this, or at least was, I don't know if they've revamped their fascia boards or not, but I know you could only get the score, count and batter/average when sitting in the outfield.

Posted by: Jarrod. | May 5, 2008 11:39 AM