For a Clearer View, Bring Some Windex

Brooke Family

From Tom: Our seats are seven rows back from the rail in the upper 300 section gallery level at Nats Park. To be clear, it's not really a "rail" at the front of the section, but a Plexiglas or tempered glass barrier that keeps fans from dropping drinks, food, souvenirs, trash or themselves down onto the lower deck.

The Brookes' daughter Libby even helped clean the Plexiglas.(Photo by Tom Brooke)

These transparent walls can be found at the front of the 200 section, the 300 section and the upper deck 400 section.

From a distance, these glass walls look like an excellent innovation. Instead of a steel bar or bars, like the ones at RFK, Camden Yards, Memorial Stadium or just about any other place I've seen a ball game, the glass barriers do not block fans' view.

Except for the fact that they get kind of grimy!

I went to visit friends who sit in the front row of Section 416 the other day. We agreed that a good application of window cleaner might not be a bad idea. So we tried it the other night. My daughter even got in on the cleaning action, as shown in the picture above. We could only clean the side facing the seats. The side closer to the field could still use a good scrub.

By Brooke Family  |  June 10, 2008; 7:30 AM ET  | Category:  Brooke Family , Seating/Sight Lines
Previous: Testing the Commitment to the Faithful Fan | Next: Russert Will Be Missed

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I thought the Nats just had Ladies Night at the Park? What's the point of having Ladies Night if they aren't going to clean?

Posted by: Fushezzi | June 10, 2008 8:06 AM

This is also a major problem at Verizon Center. My seats for the Caps are in the front row of the upper deck and the glass in front of me is rarely cleaned. I always grab a couple napkins on the way in to get the worst of the grime off.

Posted by: Bethesda, MD | June 10, 2008 8:41 AM

The Nats are so bad, why would you want to waste good glass cleaner to watch the train wreck on the field? I predict 100 losses this year. A new stadium and delicious Ben's Half Smokes will only bring in so many people to the games. A better quality product on the field will bring in more. I hear Nats management speak about expanding the Red Loft, but I hear no talk from them about improving the team except through the draft. When does hockey and football season start?

Posted by: El Rey | June 10, 2008 10:05 AM

On the 200 level, it's only the Club seats (around the infield) that have the glass. The Mezzanine seats in the outfield have a railing that's just the right height for a seated adult to see over. The taller glass barriers are only used at the bottom of each staircase/aisle; they aren't directly in front of the seats.

Posted by: Cosmo | June 10, 2008 10:19 AM

When I was in Row A in the 400 level for one game, the glass was clear. Maybe they just need to clean it more often.

Posted by: Lindemann | June 10, 2008 10:40 AM

LOL @ Fushezzy

Posted by: Martha Burk (Augusta) | June 10, 2008 11:12 AM

As a 20-game plan season ticket holder who couldn't be given his regular seat for the exhibition game against the Orioles the day before Opening Day, I was given a seat in Row A of Section 420, right behind the glass. The glass was scratched up and dirty even then. Personally, I'd prefer never to sit behind the glass myself. Also, right now my seat is two rows behind the glass, and I often find that the person sitting in the row right behind the glass ends up leaning on it and looking over the top. This not only probably helps get the glass dirty, it blocks my view. Overall, I think traditional railings might have been a better option.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | June 10, 2008 11:55 AM

My seats are front row in the infield club. I agree the glass needs some regular cleaning. And it shouldn't be the patrons' job. What I have found most annoying the past few games are the incessant insects on the glass. If I kill them, the view is worse. If not, I'll be getting bit up all night - like I was last night. I'm spraying some Deep Woods Off before the next night game.

Posted by: Chin Music | June 10, 2008 12:51 PM

Of course that glass seemed to cost Lastings Milledge a HR last night. The ball appeared to land on the metal above the wall, and ricochet off the plexiglass back into the field of play. While this happened about 7 rows from me, my view was slightly obstructed by other fans. You could clearly see the dent on the metal on top of the wall, left by the ball. Man, do I miss RFK. Http://ImissRFK.blogspot.com

Posted by: Gwitch Rules | June 10, 2008 1:07 PM

Up in 313 we've got a different problem - I sit in the last row of the section, with my back against the wall on top of which are handicap seats, etc. What happens is that the peanut shells (and other debris) are wind-swept onto our heads! A little bit of plexiglass there would really be welcome...

Posted by: DCSeth | June 11, 2008 10:47 AM