Really, Really Pathetic Stats

Gillum Ferguson

As many of you know, Nationals Park has a great big scoreboard out in center field. If you've ever heard team president Stan Kasten or owner Mark Lerner talk, you'll eventually hear something about how amazing the scoreboard is.

Unfortunately, our "great and amazing" scoreboard is putting up some of the most pathetic stats you'll ever see.

Just look up at the scoreboard when a National comes up to the plate. Ignore the low batting average and non-existent power numbers, but look in the top center of the scoreboard.

There you will see some stat that an intern had to spend four hours of his unpaid life looking for. And to be quite honest, it wasn't worth the effort.

For example, let's look at some stats of the "power hitter" Wily Mo Pena. Back in a game on April 27th, the scoreboard said, "Wily Mo Pena has 69 homers in 413 games over the last 5 years, the 8th most during that span."

What? Honestly, that intern must not have been able to get Stan Kasten's coffee for a few days trying to find that stat. As one of my friends pointed out, "I guess you really have to dig for numbers when the guy's barely hitting .200."

Also, at Thursday's game against the D-backs, the scoreboard read, "Both of Wily Mo Pena's home runs this year have come at home."

Wow. Not only does this make you feel sorry for Wily, but it depresses you to no end. If I wanted to be depressed I'd watch the game, not look at the scoreboard.

By Gillum Ferguson  |  July 14, 2008; 3:45 PM ET  | Category:  Gillum Ferguson , Scoreboard
Previous: The Other Nationals are Pretty Great | Next: Thanks, Pretzel Guy

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I was at all of the games during the recent homestand, and I noticed the same thing: I repeatedly commented to my SO about how some of the stats were from the players' high school days. High school! There's also one -- the player escapes me now, maybe LoDuca? -- that talks about how the guy has always been on winning teams. Every time we see that, one of us says, "...until now."

Posted by: Section 312 | July 14, 2008 6:43 PM

I agree that the stats are terrible. For a while, they would put the players birthdate and hometown on the giant scoreboard, but nowhere could you see what that player has done in previous at bats. I've also noticed that the stats won't change with the batter for a full inning or more at times. Beautiful park, great looking scoreboard, terrible choice of information to display.

Also, they should offer more replays on the scoreboard. If they have HD, use it to show fans a better look at a close play. Don't just show Guzman's uneventful slap single and then tell us Austin Kearns' birthday for the 4th time that night.

Posted by: Scott S. | July 15, 2008 9:26 AM

It's also great to know that they were the captain of their High School/Legion/Little League team.
100% agree.

Posted by: Jimmy 106 | July 15, 2008 12:18 PM

Next to Ben's Half Smokes, the scoreboard is the best feature of the new stadium. However, it is not properly utilized. Wouldn't it be great to see more replays? Also, the scoreboard is used for too much advertising. I'd rather see more shots of the crowd between innings. What ever happened to the Dance Cam? The crummy little Jumbotron at RKF was better utilized than our new Hi-Def wonder at Nationals Stadium. Shoot, I would prefer more Clint (the most unfairly criticized man in D.C.) on the big screen than advertising.

Posted by: El Rey | July 15, 2008 12:40 PM

Replays, you want replays, well talk to Bud Selig. He only wants you to see the vanilla plays. You know, the easy single to left. Anything that might be construed as a close call or a double-play ball cannot be showed on the video board.

What gets me, is that the umpiring can only get better if they do show the close plays. The umps will have a chance to get a closer look at the play and realize they got it wrong. Too bad we didn't have replay in the All-Star Game, three calls would have ended the game at least an hour earlier (and Uggla's night, I feel bad for that guy).

Make the umpires have accountability by showing the close replays. But then again, baseball feels they'll riot if they show those on the screen. You know, the same way Redskins fans riot when they show a bad call by an official or Caps fans tear the building apart when the show that not only was the on-ice official wrong, but the league itself was wrong. Gee, Bud is a worry-wort.

Posted by: Jarrod | July 18, 2008 10:00 AM

Yeah, Nats-- not feeling the playoffs this year...my AP guys...all 4s and 5s...more runs than the Nats have in a typical week...not good...uh yeah...

Posted by: Eugene Nunag | July 20, 2008 12:04 PM

RRRR...You have no life Eug'

Posted by: Scot Miller | July 20, 2008 12:05 PM