The Other Nationals are Pretty Great

Rachel Gibson

I went to my first Potomac Nationals game on the 4th of July. It was exactly like the big Nationals only cheaper and the team played better. I was completely charmed.

Highlights:

Elite, Field Box Seats: $13
An attendant toweling off our seats, another taking food orders from our seats: priceless.

The manager, Randy Knorr, is also the 3rd base coach. My friend Amelia said he's also the mayor and runs the Post Office.

When the grounds crew rolled the tarp off the field, we all laughed when we realized the heavy equipment that had been holding it down was the players' benches.

"Welcome to our Annual 4th of July Game."

Johnny Estrada, major league player on rehab assignment, in the dugout. He looked like a big old grizzly bear in a den full of eager little puppies.

Right Field Billboard: "Baker-Post Funeral Home and Cremation Center."

And finally, Uncle Slam. I can't even begin to describe my level of mascot envy. He's got an awesome baseball name. He dances great. He's funny. He's huggable. He lets the kids win the races. He's just so freakin' CUTE. Screech can't hold a candle to him. I'm thinking of starting my own 'Call Up Uncle Slam, DFA Screech' campaign.

By Rachel Gibson  |  July 8, 2008; 11:41 AM ET  | Category:  Rachel Gibson
Previous: The Flogging Will Continue ... Part 2 | Next: Really, Really Pathetic Stats

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I would refuse the promotion. Why would I want to be associated with the big-league squad. I am the mascot for a hustling, smart, FUN bunch of ballplayers, mugging it up in front of a crowd of enthusiastic baseball nuts, kids having fun, and teens on cheap dates.

AND I don't have to listen to Clint.

You can keep your call-up

Posted by: Uncle Slam | July 8, 2008 12:04 PM

Fair enough, Mr. Slam, you have a strong case. But just know that I love you to death and wish with all my heart you were up here with us.

Posted by: Rachel | July 8, 2008 12:58 PM

Why does everybody hate me? What did I do wrong? I'm just a furry thing trying to make friends.

Posted by: Screech | July 8, 2008 1:08 PM

I believe my degree of filth is a huge part of the problem. That along with yur endless pelvic thrusting.

Posted by: Screech's Costume | July 8, 2008 2:28 PM

and take that dirty owl with you on the way out of town

Posted by: Fire Clint! | July 8, 2008 2:49 PM

If there's one call up the Nats should make, it's to call up Uncle Slam, and release Screech.

But apparently, Uncle Slam's two-way contract calls for too much money, so the Lerner's prefer to let him toil in the minors.

Posted by: Kim | July 8, 2008 2:53 PM

Uncle Slam is the bee's knees. I've been waiting for him to get the big call since ... well, since I first saw him a couple years ago. He's got it all over Screech.

Posted by: Scooter | July 8, 2008 4:55 PM

Thanks for the positive post Rachel.

Posted by: Boycott Watson | July 8, 2008 8:58 PM

Uncle Slam is the best!

Here he is in action:

And, here he is racing Teddy:

Call him up now!!

Posted by: Nats Fan | July 15, 2008 8:15 AM

We've had fun at the P-Nats games we've attended, especially the last one of 2007 when the World Famous San Diego Chicken was in attendance. Nothing against Uncle Slam, but the Chicken rules the barnyard!

Last year, there was also a Hamburger Helper ad in right field, featuring the large, animated white glove (which always makes me think of A-Rod slapping the ball from Bronson Arroyo's hand in the 2004 ALCS and then going "What? What?" but that's another story).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 15, 2008 12:49 PM