In Like A Lion, Out Lika A ...

Scott Watson

Bottom of the fifth over, I wanted a last look around.

A stroll through the concourse by Ben's Chili Bowl pulled me up short -- there wasn't a single person in line. Not one.

I actually checked the kitchen to make sure that their power wasn't out. Nope; full of food. Just no people.

I slowly scanned the other concessions. There were a few people buying beer, but that was it. Nothing else really moved. The season was really over.

So a quick valedictory address:

The stadium is clean, convenient, comfortable, and complete.

Yankee Stadium may have 26 World Championships, but we have great cupholders, and really wide seats [accommodating my assets] with lots of leg room, and our bathrooms are clean and eco-friendly. In fact, we have a vastly better stadium than either New York baseball team.

Okay, so I left my subtlety stick at home, and have hinted that a nice physical plant may not be quite enough to sell a ball team to a fickle, ever-changing city. But the Lerners know that.

Don't they?

Anyway, notwithstanding a season of griping, I'll say that Nationals Park is a great place to see a ball game, that there is sufficient parking and a convenient Metro, and that the Park's employees are largely a smiling, happy group. I particularly liked the team of Eastern-bloc émigrés who manned Cantina Marina; although I don't think the franchise can possibly stay in business with such short lines, it was great having those employees there, and I compliment their attitudes and service.

None of it will be enough to get me to buy even the most modest ticket plan, though. I've had it with the organization. But this blog was supposed to be about the stadium experience, and not my baseball apostasy. So I'll spare you.

MAN am I glad this season's over. Go Rays! {or Cubs! SOME lovable loser, since it won't be us. . . ]. And thanks for reading.

By Scott Watson  |  September 24, 2008; 9:39 AM ET  | Category:  Scott Watson
Previous: Stadium Comparison: U.S. Cellular Field |

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

What happened to this blog over the past few months? It started out with bang...often several posts during the course of a week...and then...nothing. FWIW, Scott Watson is the only blogger I really cared for here (I was SO happy to see Emilie disappear back into that drunken hole she oozed from), but I would have liked to read more during the season.

Posted by: The View from 222 | September 24, 2008 11:43 AM

Scott, thanks for writing.

Posted by: Cosmo | September 24, 2008 12:31 PM

Wow. I got a margarita from Cantina Marina during Sunday's game, and they were shockingly rude. I won't be going back to that stand.

Posted by: FloppyHat | September 24, 2008 3:42 PM

Fight the Power, Watson! What happened to the Grounds Crew blog? When the blog first started, I was an innocent lad full of hope - a new stadium, another year of improvement under "the Plan", etc. How disillusioned I have become. The stadium is nice but subpar in comparison to many other new stadiums, the Nats owners are truly odious people who nickel and dime everything, the front office is in disarray if media reports are to be believed, and the team has regressed (injuries notwithstanding). The Grounds Crew blog died just like my hopes. Watson, Rachel, and all the Grounds Crew bloggers, thanks for your hard work during the year. And finally a confession, I met Clint last week at the stadium. He's not a bad guy and people should cut him some slack. He's trying the best he can which is more than I can say about most people who work for the Nats organization. Until 2009. Let Teddy Win!!! Paz (Peace)!

Posted by: El Rey | September 24, 2008 4:58 PM

The paper lists "Devil Rays at O's". The Tampa Bay Rays dropped the word Devil 11 months ago. It is the Rays. Rays period. Hey sports dept. Wake UP.

Posted by: Dave | September 24, 2008 7:20 PM

Dave, Dave!

I had to laugh when I read your comment.

I'm pretty sure that the "Grounds Crew" blog is the biggest embarrassment to modern journalism since the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline. Expecting the Post's Sports Department to read this stuff?

Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

Haha ha ha ha Ha Ha ha Ha hahaa haha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha . . . .

But thanks for reading [go Rays!]

Posted by: Scott Watson | September 25, 2008 8:21 AM

Thanks for your blogging all season, Scott. And a Bronx Cheer to those who drove off Emilie and others with the crude remarks that have become a staple of the faceless blogosphere here and everywhere else(so she likes a beer at the ballgame? Sounds like my kind of girl).

I'm also in a season ticket plan and won't be renewing...I'll go to the same amount of games, 6 or so, but don't find it mandatory to commit to a plan. Hopefully, the team will prove me wrong next year and actually contend past Memorial Day.

Have a good winter bloggers...see you, hopefully, next spring.

Posted by: Annandale Annie | September 25, 2008 11:25 AM

Cantina Marina is moving to another location on the first level. Maybe some distance from Five Guys will help their sales.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 12:06 PM

Posted by: Ditto | September 29, 2008 12:07 PM

I like Cantina Marina - especially the cajun corn dogs and the gumbo, but obviously others do not feel the same. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do not think moving to the 1st level will help. They were in a prime location this year - right next to 5 Guys, the Red Loft, and the Scoreboard Walk. With the super long lines at 5 Guys, one would think many would say "heck with that" and go next door. It didn't happen that way. For whatever reason, people just don't dig the Marina.

Posted by: Marina No Way | September 29, 2008 3:47 PM

Nationals Park is a great addition to our city. Our baseball club will take some time to live up to the standards we Washingtonians have for them, it can't happen in a short time. Team owners are hated/ despised in most franchises and I am not sure why we are so surprised they seem to be hated here too. I for one am increasing the number of seats I purchase next year from 2 to 4 in the 200 level for once again full season plans. The games are fun, the environment is amazing, and it's great to go out and cheer for our home team. So, the end of the season came, I had personally attended 44 games, have collected a ton of Curly W cups, and have beefed up my variety of Nats clothing. I've made memories with friends,family members, and colleagues that I know will last a lifetime. Can't wait until Opening Day 2009....as they say "We'll get'em next year!" "LET'S GO NATS!!!!!!"

Posted by: Happy Season Ticket Holder 1 | September 29, 2008 9:05 PM