Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports

Redskins fans should be excited about this year

In the third preseason game of the year, the Redskins offense, without starting QB Donovan McNabb, showed that it is more than capable of competing against the best defenses the NFL has to offer.

The New York Jets ranked number one in two different categories last season. This being the second year of this Rex Ryan team being together, they should be even better this year. I know that their best cornerback was not in the game Friday night, but I still found it to be very positive that our starting offense was able to move the ball up the field against this defense. I saw a balanced attack with runs, passes, motions, and formation shifts, executed with few penalties.

Linemen were finishing blocks with authority. I saw Artis Hicks destroy a defensive lineman on a pass play that pulled me out of my seat. I started talking to Hicks through the television. Chris Cooley was motioned out wide on plays, allowing him to take advantage of single coverage, which led to easy completions for Rex Grossman and yardage for the offense. Although Willie Parker did not make record-setting runs in the game, the Redskins stayed faithful to the game plan, staying with a mix of run and pass that led to points on the board.

I believe that when the regular season comes around, big-name receivers or not, the strength of this offense is the play caller, the quarterback, these talented tight ends, depth at running back and, yes, a steadily improving offensive line.

Believe me, this team has tons of room for improvement, but it's exciting to me that this Redskins offense accepted the challenge against a very stout and rugged Jets defense. We will look real good on "Hard Knocks," the HBO show that picks a popular football team to highlight during training camp. The Jets are the team of choice this year.

Don't look now, but could this Redskins team be this year's Jets team, with a proven head coach and QB that knows how to win? We may be the team of choice for next year's "Hard Knocks" series.

What were your positive observations for the team in Friday's game? Do you feel as if, after all the tough times this team has gone through, that the time has come for this team to start winning?

I'll read your comments and answer some of your questions on the blog later this week.

By LaVar Arrington  |  August 30, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Toney-Couture fight shows UFC's rise, boxing's fall
Next: What if Roger Clemens is telling the truth?

Comments

I am surprised that HBO has not picked the Redskins for "Hard Knocks" yet.

Posted by: CBT2 | August 30, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised that HBO has not picked the Redskins for "Hard Knocks" yet.

Posted by: CBT2

The Skins have been approached before - and shot down. Gibbs particularly wanted no part of being on the show.

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 30, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

So nice to read a "Glass Half Full" post, for a change. I know everyone is hesitant to post positives after last year's fiasco, but it is good to occasionally focus on the improvements.

Thanks LaVar!

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 30, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised that HBO has not picked the Redskins for "Hard Knocks" yet.

Posted by: CBT2

posted by Lisa_R

Shanahan asnwered that question last week as well. He was approached when he was coaching the Broncos and wanted no part of it. Doubt that'll change anytime soon with us.
That is definitely a distraction we don't need.

Posted by: jsm3 | August 30, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate LaVar's insight, people can rip the radio show, and I will be honest I do it from time to time. Manly because I think there is too much football focus.

But, I watch a lot of football and never think about the fact that OLB's are always on the same side.

I don't see LaVar coming back as a player. But what about Coach? I mean LaVar could be a solid LB coach or DC.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Actually I will ask that comment to Mr. Arrington who reads these blogs, any desire to go into coaching? Maybe when your kids get old enough to play or go coach LB's at Penn State?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I would love our team being on next year's "Hard Knocks" and I think fans have good reason to be excited. Not so much about playoff hopes or delusions of immediate Superbowl championships--but about a legitimately run organization and (finally) a well-coached team that will maximize its talent. The only missing link I see now is scouting ability. We need better pro personnel guys to replace Vinny's cronies.

Posted by: pgugino | August 30, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Think about it why we haven't been on hard knocks...first and foremost, if dannyboy can't make money off of it, it ain't happening..second he would have lost money because then the world would have saw what a bumbling, disfuntional organization he ran and that could have cost him a few jersey sells of marketing monies. thank god we have professioanls running our team now instead of arse clowns..HAIL!

Posted by: klangley69 | August 30, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hard Knocks designates who the "hot" team of choice is? Really? How'd the Chiefs do last year? Just wondering.

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | August 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree, I feel very confident with our defensive play this season and this offense has shown alot more production then in the past and were seeing new guys like Armstrong stepping up and making plays on this offense. My only concerns is the running game staying consistent and McNabb staying healthy and making plays like he did in Philly.

Posted by: kevioconnor | August 30, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

LaVar is right we are seeing a alot of progression this preseason with the skins im lookng forward to this.

Posted by: teddywjohns | August 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Hi Lavar, I agree with you and am excited by this years Redskins. I think the new coaching staff has the entire team (even AH) committed, focused, and aggressive. I get the feeling that the players believe in the system and the work ethic needed to be winners.

Many are worried about our running game and our run defense. I like to point out the quality of the defenses we faced in the Ravens and Jets; and the ability to respond with a strong passing attack is the way to handle those teams. The fact that our offensive line has been real good in pass protection is how we can deal with those good defensive fronts. If we continue to have good pass protection and success passing the ball then linebackers will drop back into coverage and that should allow more run production.

On defense we have been perhaps overly aggressive and failed to contain and missed tackles. But, I think that is an effect of the strategy of trying to create turnovers. I also expect improvement as the guys get more comfortable in the new system. I sure hope so.

Finally I like to point out that if you look at first string against first string we have been as good as or better than each opponent we faced and the Ravens and Jets are looked at as being contenders.

Wins and Losses are not what matters in preseason; but effort and focus are needed to be winners and I like what I see in this years Redskins team.

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: ppease5 | August 30, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I could not be happier that Lavar is now writing for the Post. From what I have read from him thus far, it is a vast improvement over the other staff writers.

He offers realistic yet optimistic views on our team with real NFL experience to back up his points.

Keep posting, Lavar, and I will keep reading.

Posted by: ericroks | August 30, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

My first impression on the improvement is obviously at QB position. The offensive line did a good job considering being decimated by last year's injuries. I see huge upgrades in Trent Williams, Jammal Brown, and Artis Hicks at starting positions. We need better depth so hopefully the back-ups can hold their own. I feel very, very positive about McNabb, Portis, LJ, Cooley, Davis, and Moss. They will contribute a lot and win games for us this year. I love the defensive line! New additions are a steal! Adam Carriker and Ma'ake Kemoeatu. We'll see how the 3-4 works and hopefully have success with it. We have a good FG kicker in Graham Gano. I hope Brandon Banks makes the team!

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 30, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skins_fan_22 | August 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah um last year's Hard Knocks was the Bengals, not the Chiefs...and they won the division so I'd say they did pretty well

Posted by: mja712 | August 30, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Lavar, I am glad that you realize that football is not a game that is so cut and dry and that teams can improve from year to year. Other members in the media, who probably did not even watch the skins games, look at the 4-12 record and say "I'll give them 3 more wins so that puts them at 7-9." It is not that simple. This team may have been 4-12, but keep in mind that they lost 7 games by 6 points or less last year. As a matter of fact, of those 7 games 5 of them were by 3 points or less. Is there anyone that is willing to convince me that the upgrade from zorn to shanahan, getting donovan mcnabb, fixing the offensive line, getting a competent general manager, and one of the best offensive coordinators in the league instead of a network of bingo callers won't make the team at least a field goal better? If they are a field goal better than last year, then they are 5 games better and they're a 9-7 possible playoff team. If they can be a touchdown better on offense, then they could be 11-5 and contend for an nfc east crown. Bottom line is you can't just look at a team and say I like what they did, so I predict they will win 4 more games. You got look at how the team performed the season before.

Many "experts" were shocked that the bengals went from winning 4 games, like the redskins, to winning the afc north. They said that it was impossible to win a division with two teams, steelers and ravens, that were in the afc championship game last year. But there was more to it than that. The bengals almost beat the cowboys, giants, and eagles. The beat a redskins team that started 6-2 (just like the skins beat a denver team that started 6-2). So I for one am excited for this year and think that the skins have the ability to win 9 to 11 games and surprise some people. Keep up the great work Lavar!

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 30, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I think it's great that a lot of folks are looking at this season with optomism. It has to be better than last year, right? My take on it is that this team is already better.... better coached, better managed, and better prepared.

I think Shannahan did a good job handling the Haynesworth issue. I think Shanny did a good job with talent selection and trades. I especially like the profressionalism he has brought back to this team.

With all that said though, the skin's have a very tough schedule, playing NFC East and North this year. They also have to play the AFC South (Indi and Tennessee).

The team will compete much harder this year with less mental blunders of the Zorn era, but it will be tough for this team to go 8-8, let alone make it to the playoffs.

Still I will be proud of their efforts this year, win or lose. The team has it's pride back and is no longer the league's perennial paper paper superbowl winner. No longer the laughing stock or the butt of the NFL joke...

Posted by: skinfannomore | August 30, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that blew me out of my chair was how well-written this article was by the one and only Lavar Arrington. Seriously, some of the writers that have been writing on this site could probably pick up some pointers from you. Like how to stay to the point, make asute observations, and present them in an entertaining way.

If there was slight offence to my comments, then I admit to my false thinking. Didn't think an ex-football player would come in and writer like a seasoned beat-writer is all I'm sayin.

Loved the insight and can't wait for more.

Posted by: yamazaru1 | August 30, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

The lack of speed in the backfield will keep the redskins from overachieving this season. Opposing defenses will just stack the line of scrimmage knowing the redskins will not run wide. So then the focus will quickly turn to can their wide receivers show enough down the field to loosen the defenses up? If not then 8 and 8 is a reach.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | August 30, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Didn't want to read the other posts first to hear the normal negativity, watch out for these guys, Shanny hasn't showed nothing of what is to come and the line has made marked improvement agreed Lavar, but wait until you see Jim's D start taking it away nd snuffing QB's, then you will be YELLING at your TV. Even 8-8 willl be vastly improved and yes I agree we could sneak up on alot of folks and be even better than last years Jet's. This team is solid and will show it starting with a huge win over D week one. Heck with the naysayers everybody these days wants to be an expert,with their blogs and negative comments, I chose to stay positive and expect Clinton to have a BIG year, not a down has been played so we shall see but I for one can't wait. GO SKINS!

Posted by: mfowler1 | August 30, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for providing a good set of eyes.

Ever since the conversion to digital, I haven't been able to get the signal for the games, since the trees block the signal -- I hadn't really missed many games since the early 70's. Thankfully, I've been able to listen to Sonny and Sam's commentary. From what I've heard, Grossman has been a surprise, and Anthony Armstrong has been a beast both in the receiving game, and on special teams. Another name Sonny and Sam keep mentioning as a playmaker has been Chris Wilson. A name I haven't been hearing to much has been Stephon Heyer, which is probably a good thing, because he must not be getting beaten on every play.

I did catch the Larry Johnson clip, which looked impressive. Nice burst!

I've missed being able to see how the lines have been performing, since the guys in the trenches. It's nice to hear somebody noticing what the line is doing!

Posted by: dannykurland1 | August 30, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

You know what this post by LaVar shows? It clearly shows how someone who knows the game can look at it and know there are some things to improve but instead of kicking the baby in the face like J Reid, he is looking for and seeing the positive to grow on....BRAVO!!

Reid's droopy dog posts about how everyone on the team is in peril and pointing out each and every mistake each player makes and blowing it all out of proportion has made me want to stop reading WP...

LaVar, thank you...finally someone speaking about what we, the true fans, are seeing as well....there are things to improve, sure, but the team is markedly better than last year and we all definitely have some reason for hope and excitement about this season...

that is, unless you're Reid, of course...

GO SKINS! HTTR!

Posted by: rot8tor_man | August 30, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

We certainly did much better than the Giants against the Ravens...the G-Men looked horrible...

Haven't heard a peep out of anyone about that...how 'bout it?

Posted by: rot8tor_man | August 31, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I definitely feel encouraged and now, hearing you say the same, I know I'm not crazy! I think the Post's coverage of the team is unnecessarily negative. They don't have to be total hometowners, I want the truth. But words with negative connotations litter the reporting. Does every straight reporter have to be an editorial columnist?

Posted by: flyboygraphics | August 31, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

what impressed me most (and call me picky if you will), is that the ball handlers actually managed to hang onto the ball. seems like such a basic thing, but clearly lacking for the past few seasons.

funny thing, it's so much harder to score, if the ball isn't in your hands.

Posted by: cpinva | August 31, 2010 3:02 AM | Report abuse

LaVar, everybody hates me on here. It's fine. Hate the Message, not me, right?

So, I am a big fan of yours. I really admired the way you played the game. Not many play with that "life or death" passion. Thank you for your years of hard work as a Redskin. I never took Blatche's side over yours. Ever. How could I? I'd seen you take life risks with your body every weekend for years for my team. How am I gonna take the side of some back-stabbing clipboard holder over you? Could not happen.

Anyway, thanks for the positive spin. It could obviously still be a disaster, but YES, playcalling is big. Zoron was pathetic. Just atrocious. THAT alone will help tons. McNabb, when he plays, will be an upgrade. After that, get ready for the Wrecks Nessman Blooper Special. The guy is the missing Stooge. Apparently, there had been 4 originally.

But, commitment to the run, a serious coach, a serious offense, a serious O Coordinator, and a team that recognizes the seriousness of the situation will put us on the right path.

I just don't know what we're gonna do when Southeast Jerome goes down. Seems like there will be quite a drop off. Actually, depth is really lacking. I see a lot of drop offs everywhere. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your years, LaVar. You made me proud many many times.

PS - Tell Dan Steinberg I said "Hi" and "Sorry, again."

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 31, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

After 4-12 and nearly two decades of grinding mediocrity, it's easy to get enthused, as clearly Mr. Arrington is, over a decent performance against the Jets but the fact remains we don't have one elite player on this team. We have some pretty good players but not one who comes close to being a jaw-dropper. McNabb is close to elite but not quite (actually Campbells numbers were better) and nobody thinks he can stay healthy for anywhere near 16 games. Our best receiver is a tight end and our starting RB (presumably Portis) doesn't impress and like our other RB's, getting long in the tooth. He'll be backed up by guys on the rebound and not about to scare any team. The 3-4 defense is a huge question mark and it's silly to think there won't be problems there while improvements to the offensive line is theoretical. We don't have a shut-down corner and the safetys look good but not great.

I'm enthused too, but against all logic. A pretty good QB and a savvy and winning head coach is a nice start but we simply don't have dominance in any position and that is going to do us in. We may manage to crawl out of the basement in the NFC East but even that is doubtful. We simply don't have the players.

Posted by: Jupiter301 | August 31, 2010 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Dang, Jupiter!

Take it easy, man! At least I went the injury route back to reality... You went straight up first string ineptitude. That hurts.

Lucky to crawl out of the basement? C'mon, we can beat Dallas week 1, barring serious injury. All they have is Witten! And Romo is really starting to look like Grossman South.

Commitment to run will help to hide a lot of our Offensive weaknesses. Those fat O Linemen leaning on a defense for 3.5 quarters does start to take a toll. Remember how the Ravens, with McLane (sp?) and McGAYhee (sp?) ran over our top ten Defense last year in the fourth quarter? I think that's the type of team we'll be.

Portis will soften up the D, after McNabb makes them pay for committing to the run a few times. After that, we pound with Larry Johnson. When the D is good and tired, we bring in Young Fresh Legs Williams!

1, 2, 3... easy as pie! We're a lock for 3rd place!

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 31, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Love your writing and insights, LaVar. Fresh.

Posted by: guayabound | August 31, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

From what I read, the Skins played well against a strong defense. However, the Ravens have a strong defense as well. How do we reconcile this optimism with the results of the Ravens game, Mr. Arrington?

By the way, I would prefer that the Cowboys be featured on Hard Knocks. That way they could be thoroughly embarrassed in week 1. Ironically, Hard Knocks ends when the real season begins.

Posted by: jboogie1 | August 31, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg and--now--Arrington are the only writers worth reading at the Post.

Posted by: wbbradb | August 31, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your insight LaVar; best thing I've read in this paper for a LONG time. I hope you become a regular (frequent) contributer on here.

Posted by: RealConservative | August 31, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I believe we have a shot at being a real good ball club this year as well. I never thought we did not have the talent, we just seem to not use it correctly. The last two seasons with Zorn was a wash and I am happy the owner went in a new direction with the team. I really believe he wanted what was best for the team but just was not successful in doing it. Now with Shannahan and Allen you can see we are headed in the right direction. The players seem to go all out and not BS so much as we saw in the past.

Posted by: troach1800 | August 31, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

We can not gloss over the fact that the running game has been lacking, that easily. We also have not been stout against the run defensively, these two facts are cause for concern considering that we play in the NFC East. We will also need to find out if Anthony Armstrong will be a legitimate playmaker during the regular season otherwise teams will roll the double teams toward Moss and Cooley and make him or Galloway, at this advanced age, beat them. What I am basically saying is that let's be hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. I think they have to find a way to get Devin Thomas out of the dog house, because he is the only receiver big enough to beat press coverage and fast enough to get down the field.

Posted by: impartial1 | August 31, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Great Article #56!
Feels good to read writing from a warrior with real insight. Yes, we are improving. We just need to be patient and stay focused. Fed-Ex Field wasn't built in a week and neither was ANY Super Bowl franchise! Love your show; keep up the great work man. BTW, my 10yr old son plays LB and boy does he remind me of your style of play. Go Skins, Beat…EVERYBODY!!!

Posted by: BLACKBEAR2010 | August 31, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I am also concerned with our lack of speed on offense. Percy Harvin, Darren Sproiles, Desean Jackson, Reggie Bush and people of that ilk are game breakers on very good offensive teams. We have not developed anyone with game breaking ability on offense.

Posted by: impartial1 | August 31, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Lavar, nice article! We are all hoping you are correct about the skins this year. Its nice to have some seasoned guys in there for coaches which I personally think will help tremendously! Go Skins!!!

And by the way... URDAMAN!!! #57 baby!!! When can I get my authentic #57 Jersey autographed?! My favorite skin of all time!

Posted by: dlafferty | August 31, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

LaVar...kiski prep guy here. Anyway, congrats on the new column. I'm disappointed that you seem to have an axe to grind with certain people over and over again, but anyway, keep up the good work otherwise. What's your opinion of McNabb vs. Jason. Big difference in the sense of the gamesmenship. McNabb's a gamer, right?

Posted by: purplefilms | August 31, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

The personality of the offensive line together with the scheme is much different from last year. I thought the team was better at run blocking last year. So far in preseason it seems to be better at pass blocking - a very good thing given that our starting QB is a bit older and we don't want him taking too many hits. Grossman looks much improved over years past.

I know D. Hall doesn't hit and shys away from contact but he's got great instinct and great hands for a corner. Be nice if some of our other DBs could snag a few this year.

I really like that Shanahan is well organized and expects the same from all players no matter their status. And it seems that Kyle S. may be just a little bit of a mad scientist with a long and successful future ahead of him.

All encouraging signs but it's not like we haven't seen this movie before. I think the Skins are an 8 and 8 team right now at best but I'll take it if we can win the opener and the second Dallas game!

Posted by: BenThere | August 31, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I like to think of myself as a realistic fan. I am not a "we're going to the Super Bowl this year" guy, and I'm not a "we're gonna be 4 and 12" guy. However, there are a lot of variables this season. New coaches, new systems, new (old) QBs, new (old) RBs, new (old) WRs, new OLine men....what will this all translate to? A buzz, hope, excitement, and hopefully a better than 500 record. My biggest issue is that the Skins have looked better on paper the past 10 years than they have on the field. What makes this year different? With the exception of Armstrong, Davis and Williams what young, hungry, talented offensive guys do we have to build off of for years to come? Not all QBs are like fine wine, they don't all get better with age. It will be a fun and interesting season, and I'm looking forward to whatever the turnout becomes.

Posted by: dwilcox2 | August 31, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I am enthusiastic about new coaches and front office. I suspect we may be about a year away on the players: maybe add some more classic 3-4 D players in the off-season, not to mention some position players on O. But don't think we will need to add QB as McNabb will have an awesome year!

Posted by: ElYeah | August 31, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Lavar. Now what can you do to get rid of that gas bag Chad Sisson and that ignorant Brian Mitchell?

Posted by: password11 | August 31, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the optimism, understand the pessimism, and loathe the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles. My two cents:

We have very little new talent at the skill positions and speed will be a factor (or non-factor) in how we run our offense. This will be glaringly apparent early in the season. But McNabb makes us a better team simply based upon his pedigree - teams will not line up and go for broke on third down anymore the way they did against Campbell. The line is also vastly improved with (some) depth.

The switch to a 3-4 is ill-timed. I believe we have better personnel for a 4-3. I do like the pre-season takeaways, but can't (ever) remember a 3 game stretch - even in preseason - when we gave up so many huge runs. If we can't turn it over, the 3-4 is an "excuse" (ie. wait until we get comfy with it in 2011).

Overall, Shanny and McNabb immediately make the Skins respectable and professional. I can't remember the last time I felt that way about a Danny owned team. Moving the ball, making stops, punting and kicking without issue, fewer penalties. Saying the right things, buying in, becoming a team (regardless of the AH issue) are all intangibles that were lacking in the Zornball era.

8-8 is a good start to the Shanny era, and will be a good year based upon the rough schedule.

Hail.

Posted by: t_ewers | August 31, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate your positive attitude. My own guess is that we'll be 7-9 this year: much better than 4-12.

I thought Trent Williams looked better against the Jets than against the Ravens. While the O-line is improved, I have not been impressed with our run blocking yet. If the O-line stays healthy, then we should at least be able to ease the pressure the defense.

I am much more confident in our defense. I was liking Kareem Moore before he went down. But we still held the Jets to 9 offensive points. Sanchez never really got on track. And our red zone defense was very impressive.

Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: kirk8 | August 31, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

If the run defense is not fixed, we could have Peyton Manning and would not make the playoffs. They gave up 6.2 yards per carry against the Jets which to me is the real story. In another pre-season contest they gave up over 7 yards per carry. PLEASE FIX THE RUN D! so we can have some meaningful games past week 11 this year.

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | August 31, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

LOVED the days when you were in Burg and Gold. You often pulled me out of my seat.

Mostly agree with that analysis, and think with the way things change in the NFL, I think the its the Redskin's time to be the surprize team.

Looking really good with pass plays, love seeing Cooley out deeper. O-line seems improved with pass protection, and has a mean streak. But maybe its too early, but the zone blocking either isnt being run right, or the RBs are not quick enough to his the brief holes. Depth is good, but we dont seem to have a true #1.

What do you think about Torrain? Can he move up and take the #1 spot from Portis? Do you think he's a legitimate #2?

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | August 31, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Lavar, I'm glad you are here on the post. Loved you as a player and looking forward to your equal or better success in the journalism arena.

I'm most concerned about WR, but wondered if you think we'll see a boatload of two TE packages seeing that we are light on WR talent but blessed at TE?

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 1, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Alex35332

Arrington didn't know any of the defensive system's that he played in, so what makes you think he could actually create one of his own? I think your fandom has clouded your better judgement here.

Posted by: jcreech1 | September 1, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

LaVar ..

It's great to read your comments. I agree. I think the Skins will surprise a lot of people this year. Having a solid coaching staff and a professional in control of Danny's penchant for craziness, I think the team finally has a sense of mission! I just wish we had ol' #56 out there, blowin' people up! (Still mad at Grilliams for the stunt he pulled with you!) There are just a few things that ShanWow needs to polish up before the season and I think we will finally have a great season!

Posted by: fakedude1 | September 1, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

PRESEASON, Baltimore physically destroys the Skins and the Jets don't. PRESEASON means nothing, its not about winning it's about trying new plays to determine what works and doesnt, the Skins offense is still a huge question mark.
Thank GOD we dont have to play either of these teams in regular season.

Posted by: dannyboyrules | September 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse