Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports

Please let me reintroduce myself

Hello everybody, my name is LaVar Arrington.

In my younger years I played some football, attended the distinguished institution of The Pennsylvania State University (We are Penn State!) I earned a couple of awards, had a play named after me , and ended up being drafted by the Washington Redskins with the number two pick in the 2000 NFL draft. Playing football in the nation's capital proved to be some of the most memorable years of my life. My love for Washington, D.C. truly came from the love I received from the people and fans in Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. over the years.

Ultimately I believe that love affair formed through my hard work on the football field and my willingness to let the fans know exactly what was going on with our team and with me. Media gave me a platform to stay connected to the fans as a player and now, after retiring, as a writer for The Washington Post.

In 2009, I entered the media world full time via sports talk radio. I host a very entertaining radio show on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C. Later that year, I joined the DC50 team to do a sports-based television show. Needless to say the show was an instant hit. So naturally my next progression was to get into the new media world. As fate would have it, The Post was looking to expand in this area and saw value in adding me to the team.

In this blog, I want to give you, the fan, a unique perspective on "Hard Hitting" sports topics locally and nationally. As a huge sports fan growing up, I studied athletes and coaches in all sports. As a former athlete I have the ability to compare and contrast my experiences as a fan and a player, which gives me the knowledge and confidence to give sports fans points of view from both worlds.

Hello? Who wouldn't want to read the opinions of a true fan and former player? My hope is that my blog will bring clarity to sports topics that fans are interested in. Make no mistake, I am a huge Redskins fan, and even though the former player in me gets excited and pumped up over what happens with the Skins, my promise to you is to be as objective and honest as I can be on all the sports topics that I blog about.

In return, stay in touch with me. Let me know when you agree with me, and when you don't. Follow me on this blog, and write comments and questions to me. Watch our new webcast, "Redskins Insider Live," that will air live on washingtonpost.com every Tuesday morning and be available for download from the Post website after that. Join me every week for my on-line video chat (details to come on that one). And if you want, follow me on twitter @LaVar Arrington.

This is a new experience and a new challenge for me. I am so excited to blog for such a great company and even more important than that, I am honored to be bringing perspective to the fans that have helped make me who I am.

By LaVar Arrington  |  August 26, 2010; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Next: Redskins-Jets game: Some questions about the 3-4 and how Brian Orakpo is being used

Comments

56, youdaman bro! can't wait to follow the column.

Posted by: bcarothers | August 27, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Big fan, LaVar...but c'mon "Needless to say the show was an instant hit" and "Who wouldn't want to read the opinions of a true fan and former player?". You might be honored to be doing this, it would maybe be better if you were humble too.

Posted by: dcborn61 | August 27, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Welcome~

Posted by: Bagher | August 27, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

thats a true fan right there.GO LAVAR !!

Posted by: teddywjohns | August 27, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the interwebs LaVar! It is an honor to read your opinions, as I listen to them (as much as I can the show).

Posted by: dogboy | August 27, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, Lavar!

Sorry to hear about your tooth...

Posted by: Lisa_R | August 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Incredible. Aikman-killer blogging for the Washington Post!

How sweet can that get!

Looking forward to your posts, LaVar! :)

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

I listen to your show everyday Lavar, and now i will add your blog to my daily reads. Glad to hear someone speaking freely and sharing their opinions, rather than regurgitating what has been provided to them to talk about...980.

Good luck and God bless!

Posted by: JoeyMac40 | August 30, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

LaVar - now that you're writing for the Post, will you be true to yourself?

The main reason why I listen to you on the Fan is because you call this blatantly and honestly. You give us insights into the locker room and the personalities that no typical reporter can ever provide. But now that you work for the Post, can you provide the same? Or will you be reporting the obvious, just as the rest of the world? The Post won't allow you to express your opinions freely; and that would be a shame.

Posted by: rah7p | August 31, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

La Var,

Big Redskins fan here. I first read your blog about you being fired up for the year. You got me fired up too. Alas, I have been disappointed before. Fingers crossed for this year. Today I wanted to reread your comments and I read through most of your blogs here. Just wanted to say nice work. I like your perspective and information. On another I remember you are a big chess fan. Any way we could play online sometime? I use yahoo. I am sure you would probably kick my ass. Just don't blunder!

Posted by: patshan925 | September 2, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse