Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports

A few thoughts on Maryland's win over Navy

I watched this game, and and it looked as if Maryland would run away with it early on. But after settling into the game, Navy came storming back to get within a field goal of tying up the score late in the fourth quarter.

Then Navy quarterback Ricky Dobbs ran for a crucial first down with less than four minutes left, putting the Terps on the ropes. Navy dominated the time of possession, holding the ball for close to 40 minutes.

Driving for the go-ahead touchdown, Navy was stuffed on fourth and inches with less than a minute left in the game. Maryland held on to win, but this game truly lived up to the pregame hype surrounding a rivalry renewed.

This game was so competitive that even though Navy lost this game, the overall game itself won. I look forward to this game for years to come.

By Lavar Arrington  |  September 6, 2010; 7:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reports: Haynesworth may be inactive week 1
Next: A note to my readers

Comments

The Terps served to remind the casual fan that the game is determined by the players on the field, not by preseason hype. Hats off to the Terps for brushing off the critics and getting the big early season win. I don't know how many more Terp victories we'll see this year, but this one was sweet.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 6, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Maryland didn't win. Navy lost. There is a difference.

Maryland is in for another long season.

Posted by: rhbancroft | September 6, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

LaVar commenting on the Maryland vs. Navy game, but no reference to Moten's leap?

LaVar Leap

There doesn't appear to be a working link to the Moten hit available yet.

Posted by: alexandrian78 | September 6, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

LaVar- common man- wheres your insight on Motens play??? I think I've seen that before

Posted by: asnis715 | September 6, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

i was at the game and the Terps. However, I WOULD RATHER GET BEAT BY 35 THAN WIN THE WAY WE DID TODAY. Before you think I am crazy or stupid, hear me out. The MD defense played a three man line and on every play had at least two safeties 20 plus yards behind the line of scrimmage. Those not at the game probably didn't see it, but it ws slow death every play. If not for a few outstanding individual efforts on goal line stands, the Terps lose by 28 points. Two fumbles at the 1 yard line, two stops at the one yard line and a missed field goal = 31 points. md defensive coordinator would not put 7 or 8 in teh box even once??? It was sad and demoralizing to watch Navy average 7 yards per rush. I would rather see an 80 yard bomb than watch them keep our defense on the field for 8 minute drives. Go back to Umass or High School defensive Coordinator or learn how to have some balls and stack the line. You played two safeties back 25 yards last year to VAtech and one back gained 353 yards. Get some balls and play some in your face Defense for a change. You have nothing to lose.

Posted by: odino792 | September 6, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

You would rather get beat by 35 than win? That's insane. Just completely insane. And no, you're explanation did nothing to convince me otherwise. You know what's demoralizing? Losing 10 games in a season. MD won a nationally televised game in heroic fashion, thanks to Kenny Tate. I'll take that any day.

Posted by: BShea821 | September 6, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

i think my comment got delete but thats wsup. all haters umd is back. thats no joke. it probably wont be this year, but its next year. and the option is a ridiculous play to run on every down. it is un-"defendable." if you have the right athletes and know-how. dobbs is an incredible athlete. but he aint know jamarr robinson.

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | September 6, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey odino792, you play two safeties 20 yards deep because Dobbs has a pretty good arm and you don't want him throwing bombs on you as you stack the box trying to stuff the run. Navy gained 485 yards and had the ball for 39 and half minutes yet only managed 14 points. The defense had to do something right in order to pull that off as the field got shorter and shorter, Navy had more and more trouble getting yards.

There are things that Maryland needs to work on but defense isn't one of them.

Posted by: CapsNut | September 7, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

I saw the Lavar Leap and immediately thought of you. It was incredible.

Posted by: AndrewR1 | September 7, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Instead of repeating what happened in the games, how about some more insightful commenting Lavar?

Posted by: cavatellie | September 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I was totally impressed with Davin Meggett. He reminds me a lot of his dad only bigger and more physical. I hope to see a lot of him this season!

Posted by: rcahall | September 7, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I can't agree with everyone who says Navy lost the game. That gives no credit to the incredible effort the defense gave. Dobbs didn't drop the ball on those fumbles. The Terps knocked it loose. Navy had 14 turnovers all last season, the Terps forced 5 fumbles and recovered 2.

Posted by: anthonycarreras | September 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse