Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports   |  RSS

Redskins-Eagles keys to the game: the offense

This week's game against the Eagles is not only an opportunity for the Redskins to move atop the NFC East, but a chance to get the nasty taste of last week's loss out of their mouths.

Here's what the Redskins offense must concentrate on this week:

I know you've heard this one before, but let's start here: the Redskins must run the ball effectively in this game. They have lost the time of possession battle in the last two games and if they don't run the ball well this week, I'm sure they will add another. Running the ball also would help out the defense. The longer the drives, the longer Mr Vick will be on the sideline.

In the passing game, someone else has to show up other than Santana Moss, I look for Chris Cooley to have a bigger role this week. He will have to be more involved if the Redskins are going to have more success. It will be critical for quarterback Donovan McNabb to identify what his former team is trying to do to him in coverage and equally important for his offensive line to keep this aggressive defense off him.

In fact, if this offense is to have any chance at anything this week, it will start up front. This o-line hasn't given up very many sacks, but it has been disappointing so far in run blocking. End Trent Cole is the catalyst for the Eagles' defensive front. Whoever is blocking him on the blindside had better come to play. Tackle Brodrick Bunkley is a force as well. He will need lots of attention. Pay attention to a kid by the name of Juqua Parker. He has 4 sacks already. He leads the team with one more than Cole.

I believe this game will be the biggest challenge for the Redskins offense so far this season. Teams are now in full game condition and have put on film what to expect from each other. This offense has shown itself to be vulnerable at times, with penalties, poor blocking and a lack of production in the running and passing game.

This Eagles defense will come into this game knowing if they stop the run, the Redskins will abandon it for the pass. If that happens, McNabb will be in for the longest game of the season so far. The Eagles will pin their ears back and pass rush upfield until the cows come home. I hope the Redskins are aware of this and plan accordingly.

By LaVar Arrington  | September 28, 2010; 10:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins vs. Rams checklist: More misses than hits
Next: Redskins-Eagles keys to the game: the defense

Comments

They will not beat the Eagles at home. Save this article and copy-n-paste it the Tuesday before we visit D.C. This Eagles squad is fired up and confident. We would be 3-0 if Vick played the entire Green Bay game. I'm not saying the Redskins are slouch's either. On paper they're a tough team. They're just not a cohesive unit. And that loss last week...eww. It should be close but, the home team wins this one.

Posted by: ItzDatDude | September 28, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins defense is awful thus far and I don't see it getting any better against this Eagles squad. Losing to the Rams really hurts as I don't think we will win any of the next 3 games. It looks like a 1-5 start to the Shanahan era. We should have stayed with the 4-3 defense.
Eagles 28 Skins 17...and it won't even be that close I'm afraid.

Posted by: mhadidia | September 28, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Keys to the Redskin Victory

Contain Mike Vick and release the hounds of payback on the dog-killer. While sports journalists are trying to re-write Vick's resume, it is documented he is an up and down player and is not even a good quarterback. Vick is a running back who thinks he can play quarterback. If history bears out, this game against the Redskins will be the start of the downward trend of Vick's throwing competence. Vick can only hope this is a 60 point quarterback rating rather than his usual 40 pointer after a big game.

I also believe that the one key here is that McNabb knows Porky Pig's coaching tendencies and will remind our staff of his anal retentiveness.

This game won't be pretty, but I expect the Redskins will win 27-24. Also expect the Eagles to jump out on a lead early.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 28, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Eagles have beaten NOBODY. That game against what used to be the Jacksonville Jaguars was the most boring NFL game I have ever watched but it was exactly what I wanted - Philly to blow out a weakling and for the Redskins to go in there with a bad taste in their mouth and an oppurtunity to rebound. We all know this is a rivalry and will be a close game no matter how either team is doing. Let's see how the second coming of Joe Montana - Michael Vick - does in his 1st, real game. He's only one bad step from being thrown out of the league anyway. Only a matter of time.

Posted by: lszovati | September 28, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

LaVar, I'll tell you what..........as usual, your keys are on target. I looked at this team before the opener and saw a 6 and 10 squad. The Dallas gift made me think 7 and 9. After the Rams game, it's back to 6 wins. I say this because I thought the biggest difference we would see this year would be that the Skins, under new leadership, would be prepared to play each week and probably be in every game. I have been proven wrong for the time being. I did not think this coaching staff would so easily be as out-prepared and out-coached as they were last Sunday.

All that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Skins beat the Eagles. To do so, they'll have to show a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball.

Sally J has it right. They need 2 or 3 good drafts to accumulate the depth needed to consistently compete into the playoffs. It is just a fact of life for this franchise as it stands now. I've rooted for this team since the '50s and we're now into year 18 or so of this team's ownership and an unrealistic faction of the fan base telling us how good the team is (can) be and then dropping games against the Rams, Lions and Chiefs of the world.

A healthy dose of realism at Ashburn would help right now. Recognize what your players are most well suited to do and focus on those strengths.

I still think a good season is possible, but some folks, players and coaches alike, need to seriously reassess where their heads are at.

Posted by: prestoj | September 28, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Simple...short...sweet..."This is our rebuilding year"...Keep it up LaVar. Go Skins!

Posted by: BLACKBEAR2010 | September 28, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Keys to the Redskin Victory

Posted by: laserwizard | September 28, 2010 12:53 PM |

I would like to remind you that Mike Vick has paid his debt to society (in full). your anger is clouding your judgement. Mike Vick is not the only player on that team (he is the most explosive) his teammates are starting to buy into him. He's able to make the people around him better. So go-ahead hate on him all you want.

Posted by: t-one | September 28, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

@ laserwizard you said "Vick is a running back who thinks he can play quarterback"....WRONG...He can play both because he's just that good. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even a Eagles fan, I'm a REDSKINS fan but I am so sick and tired of these fake wannabe animal lovers who think they have a license to sentenced someone to eternal damanation...we all have fallen short of something in life and as long as we're in this flesh we will cont. come short somehow. Vick stepped up, confessed his wrong and did his time...LET IT GO FOLKS....FOREAL and stop hating because the man has redeemed himself and he is GOOD! SUCK IT UP LOSERS!!

Posted by: ToallmyVickhaters | September 28, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Lavar,
Thanks, I like the work you're doing. The running game can be fixed, but I believe the bigger problem is we do not have the personnel for the 3-4 defense. It starts with a nose tackle who can push back the center. It's not so much that Hanesworth doesn't want to play NT, its that NT is not his natural position; neither is linebacker for Carter. Coaches trying to fit round pegs in square holes is something you may know a little about. Love to hear your thoughts on the progress of the 3-4 in Washington.

Posted by: elderdave1 | September 28, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I suggest all of us read - and re-read - - Sally Jenkins' article in today's Post

Posted by: pberger1 | September 28, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey T-one and ToallmyVickhaters,

Do you torture helpless dogs? Do you think someone who can do that and laugh about it changes because he went to jail. Vick is a POS and always has been and always will be. If he could do that to dogs he could and will do it to women and defenseless men and to children. He has no morals........

Posted by: mussdd | September 28, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

laser wizard is more like the grand wizard of the klu klux klan vick is a qb moron who can pass and run if washington had a competent owner and gm last year they would have bought in vick now he is on eagles ready to turn it loose against this weak-azz backwards so-called team lead by a legend in his own mind coach who only play's players who practice well and then do NOTHING in the games and instead of tweaking the 4-3 defense of last yr changes it(3-4) completely and can't stop the run or pass. hey lavar juqua parker is not exactly a kid he is 32yrs.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 28, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget the rape accusations against Vick either. What woman would want to be witha rapist/dog killer/STD infested infested man is beyond me.

Posted by: Thundershock | September 28, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

def good point lavar if offensive line dnt run block and get portis goin for 4 quarters! then it will b a long day!!..defense needs to contain vick and get consistant pressure from d-line on vick!! and i hate how they put devin thomas in on 1 play to like tease him he needs to b on the field hes better than any other reciever besides moss incosistant or not give him a chance!!

Posted by: ChadPerry07 | September 28, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

LaVar I think your insights are on point, the o-line will have to step it up this week. Coach and son will have to coach and call a better game also. Don't abandon the run, especially if it is successful. This team was not prepared to play last week, and the in-game stategy and personell usage was ridiculous. Stop playing old talentless farts who practice well. Whoopee Doo!, how long does it take to see that the good practicing is not producing good play on the field during gameday?!!

Roydell Williams, and Grandpa Galloway have done jack in 3 dam games. Not one fu#king thing!! Get Devin Thomas and Anthony Armstrong on the field! Is there something worse they can do that the two stiffs your putting on the field now are doing? I thought Zorn and crew made stupid personnel decisions, but I think Shanny and co are just as dumb. You have young legs and atleticism and your not even using it. Shanahan, stop playing games and start playing winning football, and our nose tackle Kemo is not accomplishing anything.

Put Albert Haynesworth in the game and keep him in there till his tongue drags the f&cking ground. A lot of what happened last week was on the coaching.

Posted by: 72Redskins | September 28, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ItzDatDude | September 28, 2010 12:11 PM

I guess the Eaglets doesn't have a blog, otherwise why are you responding, this blog is for Skins fans only, please cut all your fingers!

Posted by: abxinc | September 28, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

If we had screwed the pooch the first two games, people would not be as upset. By giving us hope, we ended up with pain.

We still to draft or develop: free safety, corners, linebackers, nose tackle, interior O-line, receivers, fullback, and running backs.

If coach wants a 3-4 defense in three years, the team might as well start learning it now. It is the same with the offense, except I would like them to stick to running the ball.

The Redskins may not be competitive for three or four years.

Posted by: chalkjock | September 28, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Williams is not a run blocker.

Lavar hates the redskins.

Eagle win by 3.

Posted by: g0tcha | September 28, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Please send this imbecile back to Penn State.

Posted by: g0tcha | September 28, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

How can these coaches do backwards things like bring Haynesworth in on "Fast Nickle" and have Andre Carter in on first and second down??

If anything, Carter needs to be rushing the passer and that's it. Why Haslett seems to think he can make Carter into an OLB is a freaking mystery.

Chris Wilson is our best option at OLB but we have him backing up Orakpo. It's mind-boggling.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 28, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Lavar, congratulations.... finally you present us with a article that doesn't have haterade stains all over it. you actually came off as not only unbiased but to a certain degree almost supportive..Almost. I agree it all startsw withy the O-line and D-line. the O-line must create lanes for the running backs, I wish Buges was here to fire them up. we need to get DT11 involved in this game and maybe Banks too. the D-line has to not only hold its own but push up the middle to allow the OLB's to fluster Vick. our secondary should play better this week and we will need them on their toes to keep u with the speed of Jackson and co. this is a winnable game as most division games are. we must keep our defense fresh thru the 4th qtr.

Posted by: nflorida1 | September 28, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Good keys, as far as the d is concerned, since the 3-4 requires bigger inside lb's, why not move alexander next to fletcher and rocky to outside?

Posted by: skinsfan_1981 | September 29, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not buying the Vick hype as I've seen this guy colapse so often in his career and he is not a pocket QB. Key is to contain him and confuse him with coverages and disguise blitz's...but assure if that blitz doesn't get to him you leave yourself vulnerable for him to move out of the pocket and kill you with his legs. This the game the game the Skins "So Called" talanted secondary to prove themselves. I think the Skins Run game is coming together as we saw Torrain getting into the mix and Portis has a pretty good history of performances against the Eagles. Remember the Skins almost beat this team with Campbell, no Cooley, Portis, and with Rock and Gaithers at Running back so I expect a dirty physical game

Posted by: kevioconnor | September 29, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Another point I want to add that I haven't heard anyone mention is the Skins Special Teams. You can make an argument that the Special Teams has been a big factor in there 2 losses. Block FG, Block Punt, Fumbled snap, Kicking the ball out of bounds on kick-off. These are huge problems and have happen every game and need to not happen this week

Posted by: kevioconnor | September 29, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Lavar, please tell us something we don't already know. Leave the jock-talk in the poorly run bar/restaurant. We want a more intelletcual breakdown.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 29, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

@SJP879 it's football not physics, how intellectual does he have to be.Oh ya are such a intellectual you did not spell the word right.DA

Posted by: ththornton1 | September 29, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I have a question:

Who do the Skins appoint as the QB spy? Fletcher? Landry? This will be important to keep Vick honest.

Lavar Arrington was pretty good in this role when he played for us.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Questions:

1) I was stuck in traffic all day Sunday and heard the game on the radio. How Did Trent Willams look? Did his knee injury appear slow him down at all?

2) How did Ryan Torain look?

3) I keep reading that Sellers is awful. Is he no longer the great run blocker he was 2 years ago? I could care less if he isn't catching passes.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Is Shanahan trying to use the zone blocking approach he employed in Denver? If so, why isn't it working? Is it the running backs, the offensive line, or is it the tight ends and fullbacks that aren't performing?

I'm sure it's a little bit of everything, and Rabach and Dockery clearly don't have the agility to pull off certain moves, but I'd like to know why Cooley, Davis, and Sellers aren't able to open up anything.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey mussdd and Thundershock:

You guys seriously have your heads screwed on backwards. This man admitted and did his time...oh wait a minute...let me guess, you want him to personally come to your house and apologize to you?? Let it go, foreal! People like you hate to see people make a come back from any type of misfortune they had in life. This is why I call you Vick haters.

mussdd, No, I do not torture dogs, I love dogs and would not are harm them. What Vick "did" was wrong but it seems as though you are hanging on to this and for what? You say he could do this to women and children but has he? Are you kidding me? You are taking it too far! I am sure you have something in your closet but it just didn't get exposed like Vick, I guess because you're a nobody! See, people like you don't like to extend mercy, forgive and let go, you like to keep it burning but yet you would want to be forgiven if you wronged in any way. PAH-LEASE!

Thundershock, key word you used was "accusation", innocent to proven guilty and is having a STD a crime and how would you know he's infested?? SHUT IT UP with these bogus accusations. Talk football or SHUT-UP!

KEEP IT MOVING!

The Redskins v Eagles game gonna be a good game! It's gonna be tough for the Skins but I think we can pull it off and get a win!

Posted by: ToallmyVickhaters | September 29, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The best thing is for the redskins to do is play nickel coverage and spy with Fletcher.

Posted by: ththornton1 | September 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ththornton1 | September 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Your best article so far LaVar. Very informative.

Posted by: jmounadi | September 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The nickel coverage idea sounds pretty good. It will give Landry will have plenty of opportunities to light up Vick.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ththornton1 | September 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good. That would relieve Landry of some of his coverage duties, providing him opportunities to light up Vick.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's give the Redskins defense a little benefit of the doubt- Matt Schaub is an elite QB, and Sam Bradford just might be the real deal. In their last 2 losses, they might have played pro-bowl QBs twice.

Nobody expects them to do well this year, but we can at least look for improvements from week-to-week.

Posted by: jboogie1 | September 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't see the issue of stopping Vick as overly complicated. It's basically the same strategy Gibbs used against Randall Cunningham and other running QBs -- contain him in the pocket, hurry his throws rather than trying for sacks, and wait for him to make a mistake. He's got a hot hand at the moment. But if that footballoutsiders' play by play analysis was correct, he's already making enough mistakes to lose you a game -- he's just not getting caught yet.

On the offensive side, the Skins have to assume Philly will stuff the run and so McNabb will have to complete some short passes, probably to the backs and TE. Then when the Iggs pull the safety up, there should be an opening over the top.

Easy to say, not so easy to do. But the opportunities will be there.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 29, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"Let's give the Redskins defense a little benefit of the doubt- Matt Schaub is an elite QB, and Sam Bradford just might be the real deal. In their last 2 losses, they might have played pro-bowl QBs twice"

Vick at this point is probably more dangerous than either of those guys. You're not going to prevent him from making a big play or two. But he'll turn the ball over, too, which means Washington has to convert its chances.

That Dallas - Houston game was deceptive because the Texans were missing Duane Brown, their LT, and that put Schaub under pressure. Likewise, not having Trent Williams in there last week hurt Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 29, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

You guys callin for the nickel package this week against Philly may want to watch your DVRs of the first 3 games!!!!

Two words......

BURNT TOAST!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: skins91r | September 30, 2010 3:09 AM | Report abuse

First I want to point out the fact that there seems to be two different views of what really is when it comes to Redskins players and Shanahan. Player says "he's okay", Shanahan says "he's not okay". Second this team looks no different than it did the past two years with Zorn at the helm. Yes, McNabb was acquired but believing he alone would turn this team around is unrealistic in every since of the word. The trade wasn't made because the Eagles thought McNabb was "washed up" as you can see from his performances so far. The Eagles like every other organization in the league see Washington for what they are and what they are lacking. The overall pride of this organization is nowhere to be found which is a result of mismanagement for the past decade. You often see the Redskins ranked in the middle of the pack year end and year out according to various power rankings, when in reality they aren't any better than the bottom 5. Can this team be a good team yes but first the focus has to be "how to be a good team" instead of "how not to be a bad one."
Sincerely,
A Skins Fan

Posted by: planetxlive | September 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The keys to a Redskins win will be the offense. They have to stay on the field and score consistently. The defense will do their job.

Posted by: cgshelton | October 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse