Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports

Washington Redskins final roster cuts

Many of the Redskins' final roster cuts came as no surprise to me, but some of them did. Although I believe the release of Willie Parker came as no surprise, I was shocked that Ryan Torain did not make this team. He seemed to be a positive contributor on offense and special teams, but ultimately his health issues may have played a part in his release.

Of course Terrence Austin, most certainly came as the most confusing decision to part ways with and with Malcolm Kelly going on injured reserve and Devin Thomas not living up to his potential, I thought Austin was a lock for this roster. But I understand that if he clears waivers he will be signed to the practice squad and given more time to develop.

Robert Henson by far had the best game in the last preseason game before injuring himself in the second half. Again in my opinion I thought he made enough plays to make this team, but he too may have already been on the bubble and unfortunately his injury may have been the deciding factor for his release.

What are your thoughts, are you okay with these departures from the team and more importantly are you happy with the final roster? Is this a playoff team roster?

By LaVar Arrington  |  September 5, 2010; 12:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line breakdown: levels of the defense
Next: Reports: Haynesworth may be inactive week 1

Comments

Pretty much agree LA. I think Austin, if he is not picked up by another team will end up on our active roster at some point this year. The PS seems like a good place for he and Torain plus some of the younger OLs to be for now.

Really enjoy your new gig here, gives me something to read while The Mayor is asleep at the wheel on RI.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | September 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Not to surprised at the cuts - although I liked Austin, Henson and Torain. I'm hoping though the Skins pick up some of the players on other teams that are now available.

@ WR there's Housh-man (Seattle), Patrick Turner (cut by Miami), Michael Clayton (Tampa), Bobby Ingram (Cleveland), Javon Walker (Minn), and Troy Williamson (Jacksonville)

@ OL there's Adam Terry (Balt), Andrew Hartline (Miami), Nick Leckey (NO), Kraig Urbik (Pitt)

Posted by: pgustav | September 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I think this administration has done a fabulous job overhauling the roster, but this is still a very very old football team. What is it? 16 guys age 30 or more?

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | September 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I think most the cuts made sense, agree on Henderson, I feel like he was much stronger then some of the teams established backups. I was also surprised by Rob Jackson and "danger" Will Robinson.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 5, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

SO Henson gets hurt and then cut, a double-whammy. So he cant get medical attention or rehab at Redskin Park. That doesnt seem very fair to me but I guess the player's union "agreed" to this. I'm thinking someone was asleep at the wheel...

Posted by: semilost44 | September 5, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Levar. Is it me, or what is it the Redskins see in Beck the 3rd string QB???? I don't see a thing in this guy...???!!! Bartel, who got cut, looked a whole lot better then Beck.

Also, I think that is a bum deal Henson got. I noticed last year Henson had that same type of flash last year when given an opportunity. Why couldn't he just be put on IR insteal of out right cut? Is management that cheap right now...????

Posted by: BulletsFever | September 5, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I bet that Mike Sellers being under 100% going into the season cost Torain. They decided to keep Young as a #2 FB, so instead of going with 4 TB / 1 FB they had to go with 3 TB / 2 FB. If Torain clears waivers, I see them practice squadding him and then swapping him in for Young after a couple weeks if Sellers gets to a good level of being ready to play (or the staff decides Paulsen is a viable alernative to spell him at FB). One nice thing about Young is that he can contribute at FB, LB & special teams, but I'm not sold on him taking a roster spot at a position group that touches the ball.

Posted by: csh2000 | September 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Lavar Arrington 4 head coach!

Posted by: whodatskins | September 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Preseason makes me sick to my stomach. What's the purpose? Players perform well and get cut, and millionaire veterans perform poorly and make the team. Robert Henson not only outplayed the backups, he outplayed the starters. Did anyone see the way he jumped over that back? Did anyone c how he fooled the o line by running towards 1 hole then weaving into the next allowing him 2 come through untouched? Why did he get cut and slow Riley made the team when his only highlight was falling on a loose ball. He's horrible in pass coverage and shouldn't have made the 75 man cut. Also, did I miss something or was Larry Johnson horrible. Didn't his TD come against the 3rd string? I'm not even going to mention Haynesworth but Phillip Daniels....am I the only 1 who forgets he's even on the field some games? What do YOU think!?

Posted by: whodatskins | September 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, Terrence Austin had fewer drops this preseason than any receiver with a significant number of catches. Also, don't the guy run like a 4.4 40? He gets cut and we keep Roydell Williams? WOW! Nonetheless, I'm still confident we'll make the playoffs. P.S. Is anyone still bitter over the cutting of Marko Mitchell in the offseason?

Posted by: whodatskins | September 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

i think henson and austin should have been on the team they did real good this preseason. but maybe they did it to get someone better maybe v.j. or t.h.

Posted by: xredskinzx | September 6, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

None of the cuts came as a surprise. Thought Austin would make the cut and am not exactly happy about him being placed on the PS. The rules applicable to the PS means these players are no longer yours, any team can pluck them with the only requirement being they be signed to an active roster. Not a proponent of the PS rules as they are currently aplied.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | September 6, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse