Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports   |  RSS

Week 1 NFL picks

Here are my picks for this week's NFL games. There are some great match ups.

New Orleans over Minnesota - Favre will still be knocking off the rust, defense can't win this one alone.

Pittsburgh over Atlanta - Home opener in Pittsburgh. Although the Steelers will be without Big Ben, the defense is back to full strength. Troy's hair will prevail.

Miami over Buffalo - Brandon Marshall will have a breakout game. Chad Henne and company will roll.

Tennessee over Oakland - Titans only have the best running back on the planet. Oh yes, and they are playing Oakland.

Chicago over Detroit - Monsters of the Midway will be hunting Detroit Lions. A few will be stuffed and mounted. Jay Cutler has a tune up game this week.

San Francisco over Seattle - Coach Pete Carroll is distracted by Reggie Bush's Heisman Trophy woes, Mike Singletary isn't and neither is his clone Patrick Willis.

Indianapolis over Houston - What can you say? Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning. Won't pick against him too often, if ever.

Dallas over Washington - Love my Skins but The Little Boys will roll.

New England over Cincinnati - I like Ocho and T.O. But this isn't reality TV and even if it were, Tom Brady still wins.

Jacksonville over Denver - Unless Tim Tebow is starting I will always pick against Denver.

Giants over Carolina - This team could surprise a whole lot of people Carolina isn't ready to win this early.

Tampa over Cleveland - This is the only game that I draw a blank on. So many unknowns. So this pick is a shot in the dark.

Green Bay over Philadelphia - Philly has a new QB and too many question marks to beat this Packers team.

Arizona over St Louis - Do I even need to explain this one? I think not.

Baltimore over Jets - This promises to be the most entertaining game of the week. I think this Ravens team may be the best in the NFL.

San Diego over Kansas City - The Chargers have too much offense.

You think you can pick them better than me? I don't think so, but the great thing about it is you can pick against me at the Post's Pro Picks contest. Just go to this link here and join in.

Also, don't forget to join me tomorrow morning at 10:30, Eastern, when I'll be answering questions on "Hard Hits Live." Submit your questions by clicking here.

By LaVar Arrington  |  September 9, 2010; 2:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Cowboys matchups: Trent Williams vs. DeMarcus Ware
Next: Video chat: Hard Hits Live Today, 10:30 a.m.

Comments

Goin down Lavar, I got your number in the Post Pick 'em Challenge.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | September 9, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

You picked ALL the favorites, except for one game........

ATL will lose???? Now that's what you call a homer pick........

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 24 - Cowgirls 21. Lavar put down the pipe and back away. HTTR!

Posted by: classicskins | September 9, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

You forgot the San Diego game, Lavar. Head still spinning from the "Pros vs. Joes" beatdown?! I keed...I keed. Ask Boren...I'm good peeps!

Posted by: 4-12 | September 9, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

lol@Pros vs Joes......That was performance for the cutting room floor....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 9, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Really? Tim Tebow?

Posted by: mjsciann1 | September 9, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

LAVAR IF YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT THE SKINS GAME AGAINST THE BOYS (which you will be), YOU BETTER BELIEVE YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT ON MONDAY! HTTR!

Posted by: nfcBEaST | September 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Lavar you'll go .500 at best on those picks. Pick an upset for cryin out load.

Posted by: anw821 | September 9, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's no surprise that LA is picking the Steelers (what a homer). But he thinks Dallas can win with a battered O-Line??? I hope Romo is ready for the blitz packages the 'Skins D is going to toss at him. And we all know what happens when Romo gets rattled or pressured. Oh and BTW LA, try picking all favorites in Vegas and see where that will get you.... I'm thinking bankruptcy.

Posted by: EKamenski | September 9, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

i like the picks var, kinda suprised you didnt go with the skins but its honest lol

Posted by: teddywjohns | September 9, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Lavar said on his radio show that Cincy would go undefeated, guess not huh, gonna lose the first game.....

Posted by: shnooogen | September 10, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Lavar-

Do us all a favor.. when you do your radio broadcast.. Stop saying "we" like you're a Redskins fan.

Take a page out of Sonny's book.. he knows damn well the Skins would lose every week but when he was picking games on the Redskisn Report he always chose the Redskins.

But we are supposed to believe that you're a true Redskin right?

Posted by: urbanaslamma | September 10, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

LA, thanks for keeping it real. The skins can't beat spingarn and Dallas' practice squad could be these bums. They are the worst team in any sport, on any continent, including antarctica. They are the wizards of the NFL and might, i say might, beat the rams and bucs. outside of that, they are hair-teeng...

Posted by: doyouktt | September 10, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Good job Arrington, looks sound and interesting. Keep it up.

Posted by: CTaylor42 | September 10, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

How in the hell can you pick Dallas to win that football game??? You must be doing your research!! Look at the cowgirls O-line??? Two starters out....There 1st team Offense sucks...They longest run in the pre-season was 16 yards!! I dont see the bryant out playing rogers!! Or austin out playing hall.. I can see orakpo, fletcher,big albert tearn up those BACK-UP's on the cowgirls O-line....We will win thw game 35-10........

Posted by: stuartgimble | September 11, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

How in the hell can you pick Dallas to win that football game??? You must not be doing your research!! Look at the cowgirls O-line??? Two starters out....There 1st team Offense sucks...They longest run in the pre-season was 16 yards ONE TIME!! I dont see the bryant out playing rogers!! Or austin out playing hall.. I can see orakpo, fletcher,big albert tearn up those BACK-UP's on the cowgirls O-line....We will win the game 35-10........

Posted by: stuartgimble | September 11, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

C'mon man, Lavar couldn't pick his nose by himself, and, per his sentiments, and all the years of whining and crying in DC, what makes him think it's "His Redkskins"

He's like a boil on your you know what. You just pray that it will erupt and go away!

Posted by: burro2 | September 12, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse