Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports

What to look for in tonight's Cardinals-Redskins game

Tonight marks the final game of the preseason for the Redskins. Many starters will sit out and watch from home or the sideline, while others will fight it out for roster positions for the final time. But if you thought that this game against Arizona was a throwaway, think again.

This will most likely be the most action-packed game of the preseason.Why, you might ask?

Well, there will be players out there on that field -- known names or not -- trying to make an NFL team. Their conditioning is now far enough along to play four quarters of football, not to mention that they all have a better understanding of the playbook. So the competition level will be high.

I'm not sure how much Perry Riley, the linebacker out of LSU, will be playing, but I will be watching him closely. He has really impressed me this preseason and a strong performance tonight would cement a fine rookie preseason campaign.

I will also pay close attention to our wide receivers. I would love to see Devin Thomas have a really good showing in this game. It could go a very long way in helping the coaches evaluate just where he fits in on the depth chart. Brandon Banks and Terrence Austin are must-watch players as well. Both are considered to be bubble players, so this game in my estimation will be the deciding factor for both.

Look people, every solid team is built upon many things. One of those is depth. I will paying close attention to how well our reserves play, because these are the guys that will have to step in and play if a starter goes down.

I recommend that real Redskins fans watch this game tonight. What will you be looking for?

By LaVar Arrington  |  September 2, 2010; 12:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Insider Live webcast
Next: LaVar answers your questions

Comments

I will be watching the CB battle between Tryon-Robinson-Barnes-Westbrook.

I am also hoping for Devin Thomas to step up this game, him not playing a single down as WR last week has me a bit worried about his roster spot, but the raw talent the kid has is not something Shanny should pass up.

I was going to watch Beck vs Bartel battle but i doubt that Bartel has any shot, with Beck getting a 2 yr extension.

I'm actually hoping Willie Parker fails miserably, because i like Torain and Williams. We need backs to play ST, parker, portis, and johnson don't.

LaVar, this is a much better read then that dumb dude JReid, who reports on stuff that the rest of the league has already covered days before

Posted by: McNastyinDC | September 2, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Awww Mayn I love watching these games when the bench gets to claw for a roster spot. Win or lose tonight is going to be key in shaping who the Redskins will be this season.
Im hoping to see a strong showing from our young secondary and some big plays on special teams... HTTR!

Posted by: HomelessZombie | September 2, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I will be watching my beer in-take.

Posted by: HogsHaven | September 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Lavar will always be a Redskins in my book.

I will be looking for more refinement in play, position, timing.

Bring on the Cowboys !

Dallas sucks....Dallas sucks.......

Posted by: cowbell | September 2, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

LaVar, GO on record, who makes the team, Austin or Banks?

Posted by: tjzukoski | September 2, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope someone will explain the following for me; Why is LA a 'skin? Didn't he hate DC fans so much he paid to get out of here and go to the giants?
thanx

Posted by: mgginva | September 2, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Me? I will be watching our WR's. I am confident that our D is strong and deep enough to be a force all season long but our passing game is the biggest question mark in my mind. How our young wideouts preform is a huge indication of how many dimensions our offensive attack will have.

Posted by: ericroks | September 2, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson - he is probably the 5th inside LB

Rob Jackson - probably the 5th OLB

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If you had paid any attention back then, you would know that LA's beef was never with the fans of DC. He loved the fans and we love him and what he has done for our franchise. His problems were with the FO and the business side of things. His move the NY was a business move. As a man, you got to do what it takes to provide for your family! LA did just that! Keep up the good work Lavar!

HAIL!!!

Posted by: myeldell | September 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

hey myeldel,
First - thanks for reply.
Second - I do remember at least one TV interview where LA was saying that the fans who were now getting on the bandwagon weren't needed (or welcome.) I sure paraphrased that one, but I do remember some hostility.
I am, in turn, not trying to be hostile to LA - I am just curious about how he went from wanting to leave so badly to now being "Mr. Redskin".
You don't need to defend him. I am just trying to fill in the blanks as a friend asked me the same question, i.e. "How is it that Arrington is now a DC guy? Didn't he leave in a huff and go to an arch rival?"

Posted by: mgginva | September 2, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"What will you be looking for?"

Given the 10 p.m. start time, I'm going to be trying real hard to NOT be looking for the insides of my eyelids.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | September 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Also I don't understand how leaving was a business decision since he lost money buying out of his contract.

Posted by: mgginva | September 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Definitely not looking for the back of the eyelids. Damn those west coast games!

Looking to see if the ground game gets going!

Posted by: BrownBagIt | September 2, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

LaVar,
I've been a fan of yours since the 1995 PSU/ Northwestern game when you (#11) nailed our kick-off return man on the opening kick-off. He never returned but you played a great game and went on to be a great Redskin. Your injuries kept you from the Hall of Fame, but best of success in your new career as a journalist. You always tell and write it like it is and us fans really appreciate your candor.

Posted by: SMLdave | September 2, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Lavarr earned a ton of future money by being the best young linebacker in the league. When danny boy resurrected Joe G from the NASCAR deadzone for one more try, the defensive co-ordinator needed to be the big story. LaVar was asked to take a back seat and was refused playing time. He sucked it up but when it came time for picking up the free money he was owed, he returned it and opted for a chance to play for the G men in a much more conducive environment. It did not work out but in trying he showed he was more about the game and less about the green. LaVar was a standup guy for Penn State, the skins and the giants. If you clowns don't remember it was Huff and the giants that broke Charley Taylors ankle in one of the dirtiest plays in NFL history. It don't mean he ain't a redskin, just like wanting to play doesn't make LaVar a questionable skin either.
Hey LaVar, if you are writing your own copy, you are reall ygood. If not, don't tell me anyway. Having a new literate voice on the Post sports page is a welcome if rare event.

Posted by: tyronekerry | September 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I would like to commend LaVar Arrington for the obvious dedication he has invested into learning his new craft.

His improvement as an on-air talent and his writing have now reached excellent levels.

As an almost seventy-year-old who grew up watching Sammy Baugh, et al., frequently chatting with and learning from Shirley Povich (my father was his accountant), getting to know Morrie Siegal (who got me into a Redskin practice while Otto Graham was the coach and I was waiting for my FBI clearance check to go through, during which time I also got to play with the team for two days), I would, today, right now, go out and play some touch football if anyone asked.

I am in love with the team, and my enjoyment is enhanced because of Mr. Arrington's developing skills.

Thanks, LaVar.

Kind regards,

Julian Tepper
Placitas, NM

Posted by: jutepper1 | September 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lavar,

Running backs.

They all can't stay and personally I hope the two young kids make the squad.

LJ should first to be gone, he can't help this team. The Shanny's have been saying "If you're not starting then you need to be doing something else."

LJ SUCKS as a pass blocker and he doesn't play special teams. He should be first out the door.

- ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 2, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Taking out Aikman makes LA Mr. Redskin in my book. HTTR!

Posted by: ProfessorP | September 2, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see our kicker sink a 50+ FG.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 2, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Its frustrating getting all Jazzed up about this team like I do every year only to have it go south in a hurry and then struggle for some respectability at the end to justify it again next year. But, I have to be honest, this feels a little different this time around, I feel a lot more optimism and im sure my wife would like to be able to enjoy watching a game with me again without all the stress and disappointment when we are not playing well, and that’s about all I really ask for any more. All the tools are here for a nice foundation, I just want to be able to root for a team that’s headed in the right direction and evaluating talent should be a somewhat no brainer with the right people on staff. Wow, are my expectations low from the history of the team the last decade or what?

Posted by: RepubRedskin | September 2, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

ROYDELL WILLIAMS

Posted by: destewar | September 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

LaVar,

Surprised you did not mention the line play. Both O and D line play. I hope Jamon makes the team. They can't be yo-yoing the kid like that... drop weight, learn LB and drop depth, cover TE, etc dude does all of that and now he is at risk of getting cut? Vonnie Holliday should be the one out of the door... at most he will be here 2 years tops. There's a reason he has been on sooooo many teams. They have to give the young guy a chance to transition.

Posted by: samiismoni14 | September 2, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Lavar, I never understood why Williams stopped playing him. Did it have something to do with Snyder telling him not to play him? It never made any sense to me. What is the real story, because it didn't have anything to do with talent or ability. I never wanted Williams to take over as Skins coach because of that bonehead decision not to play Lavar. Anyone else feel that way?

Posted by: bobilly2 | September 2, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I think My boys will be alright this season. 8-8 is reasonable maybe 9-7 and heres my intake on why:

1st) Besides Mcnabbs ankle boo boo, and clintons boo boo, the skins are relatively healthy. (knock on wood). No major injuries to any key cogs on the team. Having a competent QB and Coach should automatically give us 4 more wins especially the big road ones.

2) I like the offensive line, but i am seriously hoping that the Runningbacks will be, Portis, Torain and Williams. We need fast springy legs, someone who is going to break one for a score. It seems so long that i have seen Clinton just Break one loose.

3) The WR's. Its not as bad as some make it out to be. From watching Terrence Austin he reminds me of a Desean Jackson and i think Thomas will provide those big plays we have lacked. Armstrong and Moss are some speedsters as well. And the Veteran Galloway, if the younger guys are good enough will take balls away from him. So i am not worried about Galloway taking away the development of the youngsters.

Overall the team is better than last year. If a Jim Zorn team can go 8-8 then of course a Shanahan run team will go 8-8 maybe better.

Posted by: mrhney03 | September 2, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

ps- Bartel is nice. He has shown me more than Beck

Posted by: mrhney03 | September 2, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

My old bartender in Albuquerque is named Rich Bartel. I didn't know he had an arm.

Posted by: McLobo | September 2, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I will be looking for better analysis and for better written article next time.

I will be looking for less hoax on your show tommorow. what was that hysteria about Fat Albert, that Coach may sit him out for Dallas game.

Please display and show respect to the skins Lavar......We did when you were playing for the skins even though 45 percent of your plays led to gains for the opposing team.

No i am not one of Danny's boys, i am true die hard skin who is tired of your hypocrcy .

Posted by: mazbar | September 2, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

there young QB looks MUCH better than ours and our defenders aren't tackling well and can't check anyone...

Posted by: dcjazzman | September 2, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

That's a really really good point that mazbar brings up. I, too, have gone back over your Redskin career - dissecting every snap - meticulously making notes about EXACTLY what happened.

Interesting Facts:

17.9% of plays you were in involved in, mazbar had no idea which team had the ball.

82.3% of Redskin football that mazbar watched, was actually just the highlights.

100% of mazbar's posts regarding LaVar's playing days are intended to demonstrate Mr. Arrington in a negative light.

94.6% of all other fans think mazbar is a moron who doesn't like LaVar Arrington.

99% of all Redskin fans think that mazbar's negative opinion of LaVar Arrington stems from the fact that Mr. Arrington walked away from more money than mazbar will ever earn in his entire, miserable life.

1% of all Redskin fans think mazbar is lying and never liked LaVar or the Redskins and is still mad at LaVar for knocking Troy Aikman into retirement.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 3, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

100% of all Redskin fans are tired of mazbar's hypocrisy.

Suggestion for mazbar:

If you are going to criticize other people's writing skills, it would be better to check your grammar first. Example: The spelling of your version of "hypocrcy" is incorrect.

Please try again.

> 1% of all Redskin fans don't care what you think.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 3, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Not to dog pile, but mazbar might want a proof reader too.

"I will be looking for better analysis and for better written article next time."

One can only assume he ment to say "a far better" not "and for better." It would be nice if he would capitalize the first letter in a new sentence. Additionally if he's going to pose a question, a question mark would be appropriate at the end of that question.

I guess the point here is don't call out someone for being hypocrital while being a hypocrit.

Posted by: Rahwaj | September 3, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Who is LaVar? Didn't play. Can't write? What's the deal? Maybe OpEd for WaPo? Certainly has the creds for that position!

Posted by: g0tcha | September 3, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I do not get paid for writing my comments while arrington does.

All the ladies that have commented on my comments thank you, your team (cowgirls) will loose to the redskins

If you have to revert to nasty remarks than you must be really strgling with the truth....

One thing about the above comments is true. i now do not like lavar , i use to like himwhen he played for the skins , but since then he has become a hypocrit.

Posted by: mazbar | September 3, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse