Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports   |  RSS

A moment of clarity about Dan Snyder, and me

Here we go, time for a much-needed post from me about the owner of the Washington Redskins.

I've been having long conversations with my mom about being a better person. We came to the conclusion that I not only need to change some things about my life, but that I also need to let go of all the things that keep me from being the person I need to be. So I got to thinking, all of our lives are intertwined in that way. I started thinking about all of the things and people that held me back, and Dan Snyder came to mind. I started thinking about all of our times together while I was a Redskin. And you know what? It wasn't all that bad.

My relationship -- or lack thereof -- with Daniel Snyder has been well documented. I have been one of his biggest critics over the years. Look, I've given my body for the Redskins and their fans, and I only have a few regrets. And I'm burying them here in this post, for them to be dead and gone forever. So here they are for your viewing pleasure.

First. I regret we didn't win a Super Bowl for the fans. It really bothers me that we weren't able to get to the big dance and add a Lombardi Trophy to the case at Redskins Park.

Second. I regret that my career didn't finish in the city that I love so much. I was drafted by the Redskins, and was adopted by a community. It should've ended here in DC.

Third. My final regret is the broken relationship with someone that meant so much to me, that I looked up to as a mentor, I respected as a businessman and considered to be a part of my family. That man is Dan Snyder.

With that being said, sometimes it takes time for lessons to sink in that are learned in hurtful situations. I believe that Dan Snyder is a good dude. I really do. In a transparent moment for me, there was never a time when I was a player for the Redskins that I didn't believe that Dan Snyder wanted the best for all of us. Well, except the end of my days as a Redskin. Ultimately, I believe sometimes things get lost when things don't end the way we want them to. Sometimes all the great moments in time find a way to take a back seat to anger, frustration and resentment.

But I will say this. Snyder took a chance on me in 2000, bringing me here to help bring a championship to DC. Even though that didn't happen, the priceless relationship that I have with you, the fans, is worth more than any ring or award that I could've achieved while I played.

I say all this to say I understand that a self-made man will have many seasons of change in his life. People can and do change. Life is about living, learning, and loving. I believe that a change in Dan Snyder has taken place. He was a fan that needed time to mature into an owner. I can't imagine that there is any childhood preparation for that, unless your family already owns a team. So in my opinion, as he grows as a person and as an owner I believe things will get better if we aren't too hasty to judge him or his decisions to build this team.

By LaVar Arrington  | October 6, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Packers keys to victory: defense
Next: Clinton Portis's injury and a vivid memory of the moment I knew my career was over

Comments

If you could not find a job for a long time it is time to change your career guys.. The time is now. Be on your way to earning an accredited degree. Check http://bit.ly/a0DUnH and find suitable career based on your interests.

Posted by: melgibson06 | October 6, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Again great stuff L.A. We as fans are still lucky to have you in the DMV. I'm glad to see your moving past your animosity towards the owner & organization. Although you may not have been able to bring us a championship on the field, what you're doing now helps the owner & team know what the fans think and helps the team grow into a championship organization.

Posted by: Treymen | October 6, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Great post L.A., I truly believe that one day soon (sooner than we think) you will be inducted into the Redskins Ring of Honor and I plan to be there with my 56 Jersey on

Posted by: gcarter947 | October 6, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

“You can own a team and not be what Redskins really means. You can be a part of an organization and not really embody what it really means and I realize that.” – Lavar Arrington

Lavar, stick with your first impression. Snyder's stewardship of our Redskins has been a disaster of biblical proportions.

Posted by: Rocky420 | October 6, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Out of the blue. Takes some guts to let things go like that. My hat is off to you. Now just apologize to Coach Joe for calling him a coward and we're all square in my book (and I'd assume most of DC's).

Posted by: fushezzi | October 6, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Good post Lavar. I always enjoyed watching you play for the 'Skins. You and Sean Taylor were the 2 players when I was at Fed Ex I would keep my binoculars on because I knew something special could happen at any time. I thought it was sad how you left the 'Skins and the bitterness that existed. I stopped listening to your radio show because early on it was just hatchet job against Snyder and that was not why I listen to sports radio. Snyder seems to have caught on to what his role should be and you have embraced the area and have big future in local radio & TV.
I look forward to the day when you & Chris Samuels enter the ring of honor together just like draft day in 2000.

Posted by: dph60 | October 6, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is mature beyond his years. I don't like what Snyder has done to the 'Skins, but if LaVar has moved on there's no reason why the rest of us can't. I've only read 2 posts by LaVar, on JoePa and Snyder. Really good stuff.

Posted by: observer23 | October 6, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Great post lavar, always good to get things off your chest and going with the light, and karma. Nobody really believes Dan Snyder is a bad person (or at least i hope they don't). We all make mistakes, and it takes a man to stand up and admit regrets in life, too many people like to sugarcoat the bad stuff - this is why we connect w you, your real. Good stuff.

Posted by: gs12 | October 6, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Way to listen to your Mom, Lavar. She sounds like a very wise woman. She raised a good man too.

Posted by: mcgintyman | October 6, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

LaVar is dead on. Life is too short to hold a grudge.

I hope Snyder can act the same way, and things move on.

Then LaVar can get into Ashburn and help them Linebackers from time to time. They need someone other than Sam Huff telling them what to do.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 6, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Lavar,

Wonderful post much like the rest of your articles! I must admit that I was a bit skeptical, as one of my last impressions of you from your time spent here was one of bitterness, resentment and nonconformity with the system. In hindsight, I'm sure you had your reasons and I'm sure that neither side can be truly deemed at fault. As a fan I'm glad you had a chance to become the bigger person and "clear the air." NONE of us are infallible and are prone to mistakes in our lifetime.

These past couple of months of reading your blogs and listening to your talk shows have truly opened my eyes. I enjoy hearing your intuitive insight and unbiased opinions that not many people are willing to say (Well B.Mitch throws it down too! haha). Getting the perspective and feelings of the player is refreshing in a world of overhyped media outlets.

Keep them coming Lavar!! Your personality shines through in these posts. I'll keep following you here, tv, radio, twitter, or wherever your bright career may take you. Regardless of what some of the haters say, I know that you were a great Redskin and an even better human being.

Cheers,
R.

Posted by: RSkinned4Lyfe | October 6, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow LaVar, that's just great stuff. I have to admit, while I have not been a fan of Dan Snyder's, the things you said and did when you left here really ticked me off. For one, I have your replica jersey. I was a HUGE fan of yours when you got drafted, plus what you did on and off the field to represent the Skins. Then you had a falling out with Coach Gibbs and Gregg Williams, and ultimately Dan Snyder. As you now know, the NFL is a business, love it or hate it. With your not fitting in GW's scheme, the team felt the need to move on. I was very disappointed in their decision, but I've come to accept it. But then you bash Gibbs, which is practically sacreligious in this town!! We know his 2nd tenure wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but still, the guy is a LEGEND here and always will be. Then you bash the guy that paid you a huge contract. I didn't care about the relationship you supposedly once had, it just didn't seem right.
So bottom line is this: I've listened to you off and on on the radio when I'm back in DC (live in Richmond now), and I like what I hear. I'm glad that you've brought DC back to your heart and are, for the most part, rooting for the Skins again. I commend you on publicly coming out and saying the things you just did. We all have regrets in life, and we appreciate yours. Heck, maybe I'll start wearing your jersey again!

Posted by: ecoletrevor123 | October 6, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Who cares. Your career was shortened by and organization that had no leadership. snyder is a terrible owner for the fans yet he's made a lot of players rich so naturally they like him. Coincidence that lavar's in the media and now he's sucking up danny boy. I doubt it.

Posted by: jdb70 | October 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm choked up a little...

Posted by: Eman8 | October 6, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully LA you were wearing your knee pads while writing this blog. We wouldn't want you scuffing your knees

Posted by: Cdcowboys23 | October 6, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Classy move Lavar. Gutsy too, can't say I am surprised after watching you play.

I have really enjoyed your insight so far at the Post. As a distant Skins fan, I do not get to hear local radio shows, so I have only recently gotten exposure to your insight.

This shows tremendous growth as a person, which as we all know is one of the the most important things in this life, far more than a ring.

I was proud to be a Skins fan when you were creating havoc on our behalf, prouder now, and happy for you to have made this step.

Big fan, you are appreciated.

Posted by: skindawgwillie | October 6, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

That's Real Man Talk right there...Respect

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 6, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Now if he can carry this attitude over to his radio show I may be able to listen to it.

Posted by: ouvan59 | October 6, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Lavar,

Your mom is very wise. Yea, sometimes you seem to act like a victim all of the time--that's no way to live.

Here's a parable to help you out.

There were two Buddhist Monks crossing the river. When they crossed, only one Monk made it. A spectator asks the surviving MonkW "What happened to your friend?"

The Monk says: He drowned because he was carrying an unnecessary burden on his back."

The man then asks, "What was he carrying?"

The Monk pauses and says, "He was carrying the weight of his past."

Posted by: soc22210 | October 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Lavar, you cna always forgive to move on but you never forget. I understand that it takes a bigger man to move on but Dan is not that man. I dont understand all of this turn on the damage control of the image of Dan Snyder. I wont drop names but I have friends that have associated with Dan in different realms of his life (snyder Communications, Redksins and beyond). Correct, he was a man that grew up modestly but he is all what we think he is. peopel walk on egg shells around him and he loves that feeling. He has a self inflated ego and thinks he is above and beyond the common man. These things define you as a person and how you treat people... he pretends that he cares and to me that is fake as can be. I cannot trust nor respect a man that puts on a facade or a fake image. this is the same man that forced the benching of Lavar Arrington and having his people spill out that he did not know the playbook and every other excuse because of a contractual issue... I am sorry... Lavar, you are definitely the bigger man to say these things but he has crossed my line of faith and honesty... Dan is the death of the skins!!! Does anyone find it funny that he is exposing himself and making himself look good when his stadium is slowly getting more empty (because if yo uhave been to the home games the empty seats are obvious)

Posted by: rvanags | October 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

This is great stuff... Life is bigger than sport and LaVar gets it. and Snyder is getting there as well. Very glad to see it. I still wear my 56 jersey. Now I can be even more proud inside it. Hail!

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | October 6, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

LaVar, I am soooo happy you said what you did. I have never liked you for the player you could have been, but wasn't, the way you left, and the way you have spoken about our owner. Despite the owners mistakes, he honestly can only be said to have the Redskins best interest at heart, I always wondered where you motives were. But now you come to us as a writer and commentator and I wanted to dislike you so much, but can't. You've got skills my brother. I have totally enjoyed your columns and your round table commentary. You come across as insightful, intelligent, and honest and I love listeneing to you. Thank you for freeing yourself and me.

Posted by: mlewis2 | October 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

@ fushezzi : Gibbs was a coward for his handling of the LaVar situation. Front office/ contract issues aside, LaVar was an animal on that field the year that they were fk'ing w/ him! The were alterior motives and agendas. At any rate, props to LaVar for being a bigger man! Hopefully, the Skins/ Allean/ Snyder wlcome you back to the fam (as they should have anyway)

Posted by: delfranklin4 | October 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Well said Lavar!! Glad you buried the hatchet. God can forgive a person for their sins, why can't any person forgive another? God bless you and all of the REDSKINS FAMILIES!!! HTTR..

Posted by: maspika | October 6, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This post is a microcosm for all ex-Snyder employees from the on-field talent to those who worked in the front office and behind the scenes.

From Lavar to Laveranues Coles to Champ Bailey to even Bobby Mitchell (not to mention the not so famous behind the scenes people), every one of them has walked away from that organization on bad terms shaking their heads.

This and many other reasons are why I will despise Dan Snyder for life, I will not cheer for that organization anymore nor spend a penny on anything related to Snyder, and will actively root for the opposing team on Sundays and take pleasure at every loss.

The classy organization I grew to love in the 80s and early 90s is dead and buried because Snyder and his henchmen have killed it with their grasping, greedy, and inept ways. Like all my other childish things, I've put the Redskins away.

Posted by: playahatah | October 6, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Good for you LaVar.

You were my favorite player for a long time. And in full disclosure, your comments about Gibbs killed that for me. i promptly burned my and my 2 yr old sons #56 the next day.

I wish i had not, but i cant take it back now.

But keep up the good writing.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | October 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Always been a big fan of yours and now, I am a bigger fan.

Posted by: erthdog | October 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

LA is a class act.

Posted by: dbunkr | October 6, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lavar, I'm a fan of yours and thought you were a beast! Who could forget the hit on Aikman. I read your post and you are right, life is too short to hold grudges and we all can learn a lesson from your post. However, I have one question/advice. While you cleared the air on this post with the fans, the one person you need to clear the air with is Dan Snyder. Did you do it? If you tried, then you can truly move on my friend. If not, then you need to be the bigger man and take the high road and call Dan Snyder to clear the air. If not, this is just a post to make you feel good about yourself without actually making amends and truly move on.

Posted by: RedskinsWDC | October 6, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

LaVar your insight via this column has been consistently terrific...until this post. I very much appreciate you manning up. But you don't say much. Would love to hear about your agents at the time, who I believe were ultimately fined/sanctioned, and your assumptions during the negotiation re: Snyder's role. Your mom is right on. But though Snyder may be a "good dude"--who makes each offseason exciting--he's done exceptionally poorly as an owner.

The power of this post is a broad mea culpa, but I don't read enough here to understand what you're apologizing for, and would like to know more.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan3 | October 6, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Dude,
I was a fan of yours since college so I'm on your side. here. However, your letter (post) above sound like you are asking Snyder's forgiveness or something? Correct me if I'm wrong. Do you want to go back and be budy budy with 'them'? After all the shhhh they done to you and us (the fans)? We could have used you that year, the time Old Man Gibbs benched you and Snyder cheated you out of your millions.
In my opinion, if this is about letting shhh slide and moving on, then you should have done that long ago, so this letter is years too late. If you were still holding it in till now though, I'm sorry fo ryou and hope you did get the help you needed to realize it was about time to drop the monkey off your back. No need to brown nose now bro. Keep doing what you doing and don't let shhh hold you back.

Posted by: Lilay | October 6, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Ok, after this post, I can finally start taking LaVar seriously again. I was one of LaVar's biggest fans for so many years, and it killed me when his career with the Skins came to an end. But when he and his agent started accused Snyder of intentionally stealing $6 million in bonus money that they claimed were part of the original terms they had agreed to--and developed a conspiracy theory that Snyder intentionally rushed them to sign the contract in order to prevent them from reading the whole contract--well, I lost all respect for the Arrington.

It was simply a figment of his imagination and his agent was suspended by the players association for TWO YEARS for his role in the mess. Snyder and the Skins clearly did nothing wrong and it was simply amazing to me that LaVar couldn't realize it was simply miscommunication and laziness on his agent's part that led to him believing the Skins were offering him $6 million more in bonus money.

I am glad Arrington has come to realize that Snyder is a good man. Now it's time for Redskins fans to grow up and realize it too.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

what about the $6m you said he swindled you out of?

Hopefully you've come to terms with the fact that you should've read the contract b4 signing it, but no reason to try and rekindle a relationship with a snake - and that's what Snyder is.

Posted by: buster_c | October 6, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Snyder cheated you out of your millions.

Posted by: Lilay | October 6, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Do you realize how insane you have to be to actually believe the above statement. Not just every day 'crazy man on the street' type of crazy, I mean 'clinically insane in a straight jacket in a mental institution' type of crazy. Wow, the detachment from reality some people display on these blogs never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

holy crap #56, that was great. Inspiring words man. I hope you are right about Dan.

You are Riggo, you are Monk, you are BMitch, you are a Skin! Keep up the good work.

Posted by: gortiz1 | October 6, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Dear La Var,

All this forgiveness aside, why can't you play again? You still look like you could cause some major havoc and God knows we could use you! I ruptured my Achilles, too, but the doc says it's stronger than the original. And all bad feelings aside, you were/are one of a true Redskins fan favorite players of all time! You rock!

Posted by: artie65 | October 6, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

LaVar realizes that having Dan a$ a friend is much better then having Dan a$ an enemy. You(LaVar) owe the fans an apology for your refusla to play within the team concept while here and for the way you trashed us after you ran off to New York. How about starting there?

Posted by: sjp879 | October 6, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Knew it was only a matter of time before a certain poster showed up singing the praises of Danny Snyder and how he's really a GREAT guy, gives hams and turkeys out to starving families, doesn't sue ticketholders, etc.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2010 1:20 PM
---------------

Pot, meet kettle.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

The only reason Lavar wrote this "I am acting like I am trying to pretend like I am apologizing" blog, is because of the Espn show on Dan last night. He sees Dan trying to win back fans, so Lavar jumps on his coat tail and tries the same act, a fake Im sorry, because everyone is sick of both their acts.

If you where truly a MAN and listened to your mom, you would have called Dan and said your peace like a MAN, not a little boy trying to get publicity when everyone is sick of you.

Dan could have made a public apology to the fans, instead of a 30/30 show that is marketed to make him look good. And Lavar could have called Dan personally and Gibbs to apologize, not do it on a blog to get fans to like him again. Very transparent, wake up fans, he is only in it for the ratings and because he is that insecure.

Posted by: cm88 | October 6, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

This was pathetic. LaVar, you never lived up to the hype. You turned into a diva (you told John Thompson the team should consult you on draft and FA acquisitions...haha, yeah right!). You never achieved anything in your playing career, aside from making one incredible play which made you the 3rd overall draft pick. You insulted Joe Gibbs on your way out.

You think you are entitled to something here, but you're not. You came back after going to the Giants (and once again falling short of expectations) and began blasting the team immediately.

Guess what? You wore out your welcome. You made the fans hate you.

I presume that is what this ridiculous post is about. Crawling back...well, don't bother. The sooner you are off the air, the better. The sooner your voice is silenced, the better.

I used to listen to your station religiously...now, with you and fat-Chad always insulting listeners (fans), I can no longer stomach it.

I can't wait until you're replaced. I can't wait until you no longer have a voice.

And whoever it was that mentioned the Ring of Fame...wake up. What did LaVar ever do? Nothing. Nothing. He is a Has Been that Never Was and I am so tired of hearing from him.

Posted by: cb6671 | October 6, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

My 4 year old daughter still wears a No 56 Arrington jersey passed down from my son. Always one of my favorite players. Nice to know that he is a humble, thoughtful person. Those are the biggest reasons to wear No. 56.

Posted by: right-to-self-defense | October 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

@cm88 - he tried to do the same thing at Sean Taylor's funeral of all places.

Hey Sheeple. The the rate of deception is high when you an an open message board.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | October 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to you LA, this post exudes humility. Pastor Jenkins would be proud to say you are in his flock. Life is all about relationships, and I hope one day you and Dan can reconcile face to face and enjoy a hand shake and embrace. You are a great Redskin and gave your all every second you were a part of the organization. It was disheartening to hear you emphatically say you would not be around training camp this year when Bruce Allen invited the former players. Hope to see you soon at FedEx one day without security trying to keep you away. Keep up the good work! Peace.

Posted by: LaLa12 | October 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Can we sign Lavar to the practice squad?

Posted by: abxinc | October 6, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow why this sudden change of heart Lavar? Look what E:60 can do to you!! Stop watching that stuff and stop listening to your mom!! Seriously I am glad it is over between you two...
But right now..it is not so much about Lavar Vs Dan as it is about Barno Vs poop...keep it up guys...

Posted by: KarK | October 6, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Who cares, go tell Oprah.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | October 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Good Post LA! good for you! plus your radio show is the BOMB! It keeps entertained through during rush hour.

SPORTS JUNKIES SUCK!!!!!!!!! THEY SUCK!!!!

Like LA I just need to let that out of my system.

Posted by: datruth21 | October 6, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Lavar; I will never forgive Dan Synder nor Greg Williams/Greg Blache for the way they treated you, yes you are the bigger man but in my opinion the three gentleman i mentioned are all pieces of sh#t, Williams got his when they picked Zorn over him as a head coach, Blache went to the washington times in scathing article about your so called lack of football knowledge which imho painted Blache as a azz-kisser and class A suck up to Synder. Dan Synder is getting his now as his family is struck by a tragedy, you see Lavar there is karma in this life you truly reap what you sow as the late great James Brown used to sing "money won't change you but time will take you out". Joe, yeah, St.Joe Gibbs who only came back for the money to fund his NASCAR venture is another one i lost respect for; is it any wonder that Art Monk did not mention Joe Gibbs one time while giving his HOF induction speech? trust me that wasn't by accident. Lavar i think you've grown by leaps and bounds as a young man and judging by the response on this blog i think the readers feel the same way.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 6, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

It's a curse! When Frank Herzog was replaced as the voice of the Redskins IMO. Please bring Frank back into the fold. The other guy should move on.

Posted by: horseinator | October 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The sad part is. Of all the things you have bashed the Skins on...the subject with Snyder I always agreed 100% with you on. The problem is that you attacked a man of much better character of you and Snyder combined. His name is Coach Joe Gibbs. A strong willed christian man of the highest faith and integrity. The guy would give his left arm, leg, eyeball, or whatever to help another human being. Did you give this man the respect he deserved? No...you called him a coward, because he wouldn't let you get what you wanted all the time. If you owe anyone an apology...it's Coach Joe. Your attacks on guys like Snyder, Portis, Haynesworth, and some others that I'm sure I have long forgotten were actually speaking the truth. Until you bury the hatchet with Coach Joe and apologize for your malicious verbal assaults on an undeserving man. You will never be forgiven in my eyes, and I'm sure by many other of the true long time Redskins fans.

Posted by: DG28 | October 6, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think that Lavar's talents were hurt by the fact that he was drafted by the Redskins. The inconsistency that he had to endure, and the pedestal that he was put upon by Snyder really hurt his chances to grow.

I think had Marty Schottenheimer been allowed to grow as a leader of the Redskins, that Lavar would have thrived under his consistency and leadership.

I think Lavar was able to free-lance to often under Spurrier's regime. And when the leadership of Gibbs and Gregg Williams arrived, he was already spoiled by Snyder's pedestal.

His ego and over-hyped skills were shipped off, and proven to be just that. Over-hyped. Place Lavar against a lineman, and he was toast. In college he was a man amongst boys. But that dominance did not travel to the NFL.

Once again,I believe Lavar's best chance to excel would have been under Marty. But Dan, as usual, does a good job of ruining potential. And that is what Snyder did for Lavar, at least on the field. On a personal level, I couldn't say, because that is an area most of us are unfamiliar with.

Posted by: jmounadi | October 6, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

LaVar,
I always admired and respected you as a player for the Redskins. You gave it your all every week, every game for 60 minutes. If we had 52 other players on the roster at that time with your work ethic, we certainly would have danced with the Lombardi trophy!

But some of the attitude that you displayed after the falling out, was less than inspiring, and it's great to hear that you have learned from that experience and turned a negative into a positive. Obviously you are maturing as a man and a human being.

Welcome back!

Gregg

Posted by: greggsol | October 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Holy Moses! That E:60 profile really did the trick, huh?

I agree with Lavar, but never thought he'd come around to this view. Congrats on displaying such maturity.

Snyder has been a pretty dreadful owner the last decade, but hopefully better days are ahead. His behavior since the day he let Vinny go suggest reason for optimism.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 6, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Good Job Levar...perhaps Gibert Arenas (a.k.a "AGENT SOMBER")will take note of this and learn to Live, Love, Learn, and Laugh again. Life aint so bad afterall!

Be Blessed!

Posted by: Stevie-J | October 6, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Its about time, Lavar. But I'm glad its happened. I'm glad you finally see that both sides were at fault in the strained relationship.

As you know, you are beloved by this fanbase. It was a joy to watch you during your playing days. Hopefully one day your name will be up in the Ring of Honor.

Too bad it didn't end differently, but glad your still around.

Posted by: ChillyWilly3781 | October 6, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KarK | October 6, 2010 2:05 PM
----------

Going off most of his posts, it seems Barno loves gargling with Snyders man-sauce.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, LeVar, you mean Keyser Söze got to you too?!

Posted by: Shultz86 | October 6, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Good post Lavar. I still have your jersey, but have been keeping it hung up in the closet lately. Now I am proud to bring it back out. You were an incredible athlete and I so enjoyed watching you play for the skins.

Thanks for being strong enough to move on...

Posted by: rebelc | October 6, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Crap, pure fluff piece it is your testimony and it is about football.

Posted by: phjesuswarrior7 | October 6, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey LaVar. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your posts and that you are doing a good job. On second note, I wanted to let you know that I am a Redskins fan since 2000, the year you were drafted and the same year I came to the United States from Uzbekistan. I am currently in Tokyo, Japan and I just wanted to say that you are MY favorite Redskins player of all time. And I do mean that. I have been following the Skins for some time now and frankly speaking, I have not ever enjoyed watching someone play as much as you. Really, thank you for the great memories (Aikman hit OF COURSE! and the INT-TD against the panthers was great as well). With that said, I just wanted to let you know through this message that your football prowess is not only remembered by those in the US or from the US, but by people outside of it..even as far as Uzbekistan. :) Anyway, keep up the good work man! Shak

Posted by: shaqdigga | October 6, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey shaqdigga:

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
All other countries are run by little girls.
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
Other countries have inferior potassium.........
Kazakhstan friend of all except Uzbekistan.
They very nosey people with bone in their brain.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 6, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The pride of the city is now a joke and to hear one of the overpaid disappointments now sucking up to the man largely responsible and along the way dis-respecting the man who built that pride makes me sick.

"I regret we didn't win a Super Bowl for the fans." Dude-we never won the NFC east, so even mentioning super bowl is ridiculous.

"Snyder took a chance on me in 2000" You were the #2 pick in the draft! A no-brainer who was supposed to dominate for 10 years and you got paid like it. Don't act like you were Rocky Balboa coming out of nowhere.

Funny you don't apologize to Gibbs-an old man when he came back who clearly bit off more than he could chew trying to be the coach, gm and talent evaluator. Guess he isn't hiring, huh?

Posted by: troyyeske1 | October 6, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

As no roads are so rough as those that have just been mended, so no sinners are so intolerant as those that have just turned saints. ~Charles Caleb Colton

Posted by: mazbar | October 6, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

In the last analysis we must be judged by what we do and not by what we believe. We are as we behave - with a very small margin of credit for our unmanifested vision of how we might behave if we could take the trouble. ~Geoffrey L. Rudd, The British Vegetarian, September/October 1962

Posted by: mazbar | October 6, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Great post Lavar- class act.

I haven't been happy with ownership for a while, but I agree that intentions were good, and one must move forward as an organization.

The negative comments by a few readers here proves that there are always a few jacka**es in every crowd- probably all trolls.

Posted by: supattapone | October 6, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

That's all bullshit LaVar and I know bull when I hear it. Stop trying to fool people man, we're not all stupid.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 6, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

stop hating the skins in your radio show

Appologize to the fans

appologize to Gibbs

last but not lease appologize to your employees who you let go without pay a week before christmas then we will believe

Posted by: mazbar | October 6, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Lavar,

Classy move. You hit on a thread of redemption and forgiveness. Who among all the people here who have posted hasn't made a move that hurts someone else or who has made decisions that they would like back?

Mr Snyder is an imperfect man with a huge wallet - and he was a fan of the Redskins who was clearly over his head from day one. His wallet provided the means to acquire teams that were more fantasy (albeit even bad ones) decisions that clearly weren't predicated on sustainable winning. He hired people who were leaches, malcontents, incompetents, and thugs who ended up suing grandmothers.

Interestingly almost all of the nasty things we can say about Mr Snyder also could have been said about the owner of the Yankees who recently passed away. And yet even he saw the light and changed his ways. Did his heart change from darkness to light? Only his God knows that. Has Mr. Snyder seen this light and through his actions of this past off season changed the way he conducts business? Only his God knows.

So each man, Lavar and Mr Snyder, have embarked on a road to maturity and hopefully one day, each man, having faced his demons, can come together to discuss what happened and to repair the bond that has been broken. LaVar has given us his words and Mr Snyder has given us his deeds showing that change has happened. The question in the end is whether both men have changed or have merely changed the game they play. And in that, only their God knows.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 6, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I'll forgive the dwarf too if he gives me a few million dollars.

If not, I'd prefer he sell the damn team and move on to destroying someone else's favorite thing.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 6, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

This post made me want to puke. Lavar is losing what little credibility he had fast. If this is how he feels then why write about it, tell Dan like a man. This is just a lame attempt to draw attention to himself. Any of you that have listened to his show will recognize this scenario, talk lots about himself, listen to Chad kiss his a ss for a minute, then make fun of callers (fans) for the way they talk, then use the word " simular" or some other made up word himself. I listen to every other show on the fan, but can't stomach this dumb ass any more

Posted by: crl22191 | October 6, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

LaVar, first comb your hair maybe your brain will get some much needed oxgyen too it so you can start thinking. Second you don't mean a thing to little danny because he already have one negro friend. You and all of the rest of the black folks in this town must have fallen and split your head wide open to think snyder care about you. snyder care about you as much as the federal government care about the black people in the ninth ward of new orleans.

Posted by: geg5100 | October 7, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

It's very clear what LaVar is atempting to do here. It's a weak attempt at redemption from his earlier blog referenced the release of Larry Johnson. He took a real beat-down for that blog, now he's back trying to save face. Plus, make yourself look more presentable. Did you just get out of bed?

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 7, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Brown noser!

Posted by: tigger0705 | October 7, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing LaVar! Keep on keeping it real!

Posted by: carbon916 | October 7, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Please do not disrespect the players that are in the Ring of Honor, Lavar is nowhere near the player/leader/man that those players are and where. He doesnt deserve to even be mentioned in the same breath.

Posted by: cm88 | October 7, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

People continue to criticize Snyder and yet he has done what these same folks recommended:

1. Hire a GM.
2. Hire an established coach
3. Let the GM and Coach work without interference.
4. Be there to support them financially

So, why all the continuing banter about Snyder?

It's not like he turned into the Lerners and appears unfazed by putting a 4-12 product out on the field for us to consume.

Snyder has made a lot of bad decisions, trusted people and players and gave them big money when he shouldn't have.

But look at the Nationals.

Lerner has done NOTHING out of the ordinary to make this team better.

No major free agents. No major trades.

In 5 years here the team went from 81-81 to 57-102.

All the while Jim Bowden, worse IMO than Vinny Cerrato (if that's possible), was allowed to sit in the owner's box and play fantasy baseball with other teams' failed prospects.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | October 7, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Awesome post L.A..!I feel the Lord is doing some work in your heart to heal and to move forward in your walk of life. Keep up the good posts brotha..Also open up a restaurant in Northern VA LaVar "Stand up Burgundy and Gold Nation" we are on the comeback!

Posted by: elj220 | October 7, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed reading your article Lavar, and have to admit this is the first time i have read anything from you since teaming up with the Post. I, like you am also a grudge holder but have realized that at the age of 30 so stuff is not worth holding onto because time is too short to focus on what doesn't matter.

I kind understand why you had a grudge with Danny, because like you, the fans are constantly promised something that is never going to happen. I recently saw Dan's interview on ESPN the other night and as much as i don't really care for him as an owner, he gained alot of respect from me as a fan. There were 2 things that stuck out to me in that interview...1)he is still learning to be an owner even after 10 years. He came into the league being the youngest owner in the NFL as well as a long time fan, and like he stated, owning the Redskins never came with a manual or list of instructions, so everything he has learned has been trial and a lot of errors. 2)He had to start thinking as an owner and not as a fan! As a long time Washingtonian and devoted Skins fans we always look at the team as Half full. We think that throwing alot of money at the best players in the NFL will bring us success because the money speaks louder than what there talent can provide for the team. I finally think a light bulb has come on in Danny's head that the owner should sign the checks and leave all the coaching to experience and well respected coaches.

I say all of this to say that people can change and people grow up, and within the growing up process people develop wisdom and hopefully learn from there mistakes. I think Danny is changing and that's why as much as i have hated him over the years, i am now learning to like him as an owner and respect him more as a man, because lets face it NOBODY IS PERFECT and BUSINESS IS JUST BUSINESS!!!

Have a good day!!!
-A Woman Who LOVES The Washington Redskins

Posted by: ladylibra1001 | October 7, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

A leopards spots don't change.
Danny had to make the change because of the constant HUMILIATION that was being broadcasted. Remember his reaction live on Monday football when the announcers where dogging his ineptitude?
This is not knowledge, not repentance its just what he was forced to do.

DANNYBOY STILL RULES !

Posted by: dannyboyrules | October 7, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope some day someone leaves an "upper decker" (the urban dictionary version) at Danny-Boys house.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 8, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

106.7 last night, Lavar complaining about every decision the Skins Mngmt has made, complaining about how is boyz DT and Fat AL have been treated, making fun of listeners that have different opinions than he does, not knowing stats and having listeners correct him(expert?), and using ebonics for hours. Hopefully, 106.7 will wake up and move him to late night so we dont have to listen to his dribble during our drives home. During my hour drive I listened to Fatty and Juice for 10 total minutes, both times it was painful so I changed the channel. Please fire Lavar, he is not a changed man, he is an insecure little boy..and Redskin fans are tired of his mindless, negative, whiney, illiterate rants.

Posted by: cm88 | October 8, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse