Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports   |  RSS

Redskins-Bears keys to victory: defense

This now marks four weeks in a row that Jim Haslett's 3-4 defense has knocked guys out of the game. The Redskins defense continues to build a reputation as a hard-hitting unit. On Sunday it will play against an offense that isn't nearly as explosive as the ones it has faced recently. But with that being said, there's no need for a let down.

Here's what the Redskins defense must do to win the game.

The Bears have a solid running back in Matt Forte. He is versatile and very important to the Bears' offensive success. The Redskins must contain Forte. If the defense limits his running and catching yards to a minimum it will put the game on quarterback Jay Cutler's arm. So yes, stop the run first and make sure to contain Forte.

Cutler is an inconsistent QB right now, with few weapons in the passing game. The key in stopping him will be a combination of coverage and pressure. The Redskins' secondary is talented enough to shut down these Bears receivers, and with some good pressure the secondary may be able to come up with some interceptions.

The Redskins' pass rush has been good, but not great. Washington really needs to get more hits on the quarterback. Hits rattle QBs into mistakes. If the pressure is there, Cutler will throw the ball away.

So stop Matt Forte and the running game. Force Jay Cutler to throw the ball. Pressure Cutler and force him into mistakes. And don't let Devin Hester beat you in the passing game or with any gadget plays like reverses or double passes.

The edge clearly goes to the Redskins defense.

By LaVar Arrington  | October 20, 2010; 1:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins-Bears keys to victory: offense
Next: Redskins-Bears keys to victory: special teams

Comments

Lavar, can you add "and my home boy Dbag Hall needs to actually step up and cover someone instead of run his mouth!"

I know, that would mean you actually are trying to be an un-biased and professional reporter by seeing things without your "Homie the Clown, hes one of my boyz that bucks the system" eye glasses on.

My commutes home have been much more enjoyable not having to listen to your stuttering, ebonics grammer, uneducated responses to anyone that has a different or pro-redskins management view. Cant wait for you to be fired so I can listen to 106.7 again.

Posted by: cm88 | October 20, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Lets start a poll:

Please vote yes, if you would like to see Lavar and Dukes fired or moved to a new timeslot.

Please vote no, if you enjoy his stuttering and anti-redskins whinning.

Posted by: cm88 | October 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Lets start a poll:

Please vote no, if you enjoy his stuttering and anti-redskins whinning.

Posted by: cm88 | October 20, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I vote yes! Lavar & Dukes is the most inane show on radio.

Posted by: jakeyrotten | October 20, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Nice analysis, LaVar. You could flip the teams and have a very similar description of when the Skins are on offense.

I think the defenses of both teams will carry the day on Sunday--I expect a decent share of turnovers from both teams.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 20, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I vote YES!!!

Please move them to midnight show on Saturday night. I'll be at the club or sleep while they do their screaming contest. Completely, under prepaired reporters/talk show hosts ever. At least read what's going on before you go on the air so you don't sound like an A$$

Posted by: Lilay | October 20, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Defense? Did someone say DEFENSE? Are they allowed to hit someone anymore in the National Fairy League? I don't even want to watch if there are no brutal hits..... Might as well go to the ice capades and get in touch with my feminine side....

Posted by: Capitalist-1 | October 20, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

BIG SURPRISE, DBAG Hall is blaming the coaches for him getting burned against Indy. Its pretty obvious why Lavar and Dbag get along so well, like to blame others for their underachieving play and run their mouths about everyone else, instead of taking blame as a real man would.

Posted by: cm88 | October 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Redskins-Bears keys to victory: defense
***********

HOLD YOUR OPPONENT TO LESS POINTS THAN WHAT YOU SCORE.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | October 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

for the life of me I cant figure out why some people come on L A's blog to hate on him!!!! if you dont like him so much then why read his blog or listen to his radio show??? I love the Redskins and so does Chad and Lavar and there show is great, I dont dislike the other shows I just like there's better. I am convinced the CM88 is Dan Snyder...

Posted by: gcarter947 | October 21, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Could be because when we/haters do listen, he makes fun of all the callers that dont agree with him or use slang, when he can barely speak english. And, he is always negative or as you put it "hates" with regards to the redskins coaching/mngmt, etc, especially if it is regarding one of his buddies that are overpaid, like he was. Most of us love the skins, not some negative ex-player who under-achieved.

And youre right, I dont listen to his show anymore, but I am hoping to help change that and get someone who knows/researches better and is pro-skins on the radio, not someone that is corrected by callers on stats and is always whining about FatAl, DT11, Dbag Hall, or all the other players that talk a big game and play like @#$%, like Lavar did.

Oh, and Dan Snyder is a midget piss ant, does that help you know that I am not him :) haha!!!

Go Skins!!!!!

Posted by: cm88 | October 21, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!!! i think the same can be said for ALL sports talk shows that when you dont agree or have a difference in opinion with the host, they cut you off, talk over you or hang up on you so... thats not my point. My point is the issues you seem to have is with Lavar's opinion on the way Mgnmt ( and i use the term loosely)has treated him and other players.. Do you remember when Dan Snyder tried to tell us that Brian Mitchell was a locker room distraction only to have the Head Coach Norv Turner say he was a great locker room leader, or for them to tell us the #56 couldnt read defenses after all the work he had put in the previous 6 years only for Charles Mann and several other Redskin greats to tell the story about Wilbur Marshall not being able to read defesensive schemes so the schemed and he just tried to kill anybody with the ball. Oh and did i mention the same Redskins ownership that the great Drrell Green AND Art Monk want nothing to do with... Hmmmmmmm Again if your not a fan of Lavar then get off his BLOG!!!!
Oh and i know that you Dan, your not fooling anybody LMAO!!!!

Hail to the REDSKINS!!!!!

Posted by: gcarter947 | October 21, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Good points, but since he hangs up on fans that make good points against his points or challenge his lack of intellect, I have fun making my points on here and I know he reads this and it gets his panties in a bunch, so its a good way to waste time at work :) haha!

It would be nice to hear someone on the way home that actually made some good points and not harp on the same old issues and whine all the time, even if his points where critical but made sense it would be ok. It would also be smart to be somewhat respectful to the people that in the end pay his paychecks i.e. the listeners/fans, but until then I will enjoy music on the way home and the Junkies in the morning.

Posted by: cm88 | October 21, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Hall runs his mouth..so what?

What concerns me is what in the hell Haslett is doing to this unit.

I don't know about you guys, but I actually like to see our defensive lineman with their hands down rushing the passer!!

What was that about??? and... no....I don't care what it's called. Just why??

Posted by: skins91r | October 21, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse