Follow PostSports on Twitter and Facebook  |  Newsletters: Redskins and Sports   |  RSS

Why bench Donovan McNabb on the most critical drive of the game?

Easily be the biggest story of the week and perhaps the biggest decision to date by Mike Shanahan was his benching of Donovan McNabb on Sunday, down by six points with 1:50 in the game. Mike Shanahan put Rex Grossman into the game for the final, potentially game-winning drive.

Now, I've been asking questions about some of Shanahan's decisions all year. I tipped my hat to the coach for how Albert Haynesworth played last week, but this week he will not be so fortunate.

The decision to pull your leader and your franchise QB out on the final drive of a very winnable game will affect this team far beyond the scoreboard of Sunday's loss. As a former player, I can guarantee the players in that locker room are now wondering what is the line of thinking of their coaches. They are wondering why McNabb did not have that last opportunity to try and win it.

Would "5," as they call McNabb, be able to come up with something he's been known to do throughout his career, which is put together a game-winning drive? For most, such a drive would offset all the poor plays that took place during the game. These players are wondering not only why pull your starter at this moment in the game, but why set the reserve QB up for failure?

McNabb was being abused by Lions defenders all game long; I guess by putting Grossman in the game, Shanahan thought he might do a better job of eluding a continuous pass rush. But let's see: prior to being thorwn into the game for the final drive to try to pull out a much-needed victory against the one-win Detroit Lions, Grossman took all of no snaps during the regular season. This is Week 8, people -- who does that?

I believe all the players, including Grossman, felt a sense of betrayal towards McNabb as well as an unbelievable amount of pressure on Rex to perform his duties as a reserve QB. McNabb was clearly not injured, and I believe that the decision was spur-of-the-moment. With such a crucial game on the line, I believe it left all observers scratching their heads, including players.

If the results had been different and Grossman marched the team down the field for the game-winning touchdown, then this post would be to the tune of well, there goes another one-and-done for a high-priced, high-profile offseason acquisition. But that's not what happened.

This move may have had a damaging affect: How deep the impact may be no one can be for certain, but damage was done.

Now, during a week with no game to be played, instead of potentially a win and praise for the fine job this team has done to get to a 5-3 start, the headlines about the 4-4 Redskins will read, "Is this it for McNabb as a Redskin?" or, "Who will be the starting QBs in the Eagles rematch?" (We all know they have QB issues in Philadelphia.)

I guess my point is, games are won and lost on Sundays; that's why we love to watch them. But to pull a proven, winning, veteran QB out of the game on the final drive was a poor decision. If you left him in there the entire game, then the last drive should have been no different, and whether you agree or disagree is immaterial. I don't think a person needs to be an expert to know that the reason a team brings in a guy like McNabb is for those very moments: when a team might not of had the best day on the field but some way, somehow knew its QB would get it done in the clutch like he has done in the past.

Nope, that won't be the headline. Oh, I got it, the best headline will quote Shanahan: "I thought that was the best scenario for us to have a chance to win." Wow, putting a QB in that has sat the entire season, and did not play not one down in the game leading up to this last miracle drive, was the best answer to win the game?

By LaVar Arrington  | November 1, 2010; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Keys to the game: Redskins vs. Lions checklist
Next: Brandon Banks: a shining light on special teams

Comments

Why bench him? Because he's not that good, that's why! Especially under pressure, LaVar. This is the guy who was so overwhelmed in the Super Bowl, that he started throwing up from panic and cost the Eagles a championship. There's a reason Philadelphia traded him to a division rival. They know he's no threat at all when the chips are down. Heck, he doesn't even know the overtime rules for the NFL!

Posted by: chicoandtheman2001 | November 1, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Kudos !!!!! L.A. but I have to ask the question, Why isnt anybody questioning Kyle Shanahan's play calling???? i mean you'd have to admit that on more than a few occasions you've had to scratch your head on some calls. I'm not convinced that Mike Shanahan is the "GREAT" coach everybody says he is, he brought discipline back to the Redskins locker room but even still a lot of folk's believe he went too far with Haynesworth and I disagree L.A. he didnt convert Haynesworth, i think him losing his brother and Haslett being smart enough to use that emotion and let him do what he's comfortable doing is there reason he's playing so well. Hell even Haslett said it, Haynesworth is not playing a typical 3-4 style because he doesnt know it. A friend told me once " Shanahan has only 1 playoff win with out Elway" and i think about that everytime he makes one of these head scratching decisions...

Posted by: gcarter947 | November 1, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

There are a lot of stories and sub-stories that ultimately make up why Shanahan made the decision he did. But ultimately, I think it came down to there wasn't a chance for us to come back. The way it was going, Mike probably didn't want McNabb hurt before the end of the game.

McNabb clearly isn't comfortable with the offense. When you spend 11 years in 1 offense, you develop a certain muscle memory. When a play breaks down, a guy who is comfortable with a system will find their 3rd or 4th option. McNabb just doesn't know where those options are on the field, and how/where to hit those options.

But what makes this transition for McNabb so much harder than the learning curve early in Mcnabb's career in Philly, was a solid offensive line. We have one solid player that can pass protect... and he's a rookie still learning.

New QB/new system + sorry o-line = poor results.

Posted by: CYA_Coach | November 1, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone ever think maybe the scheme does not fit the personnel an before committing to running a scheme without the proper personnel why not accentuate the scheme to player strengths.
Mcnabb is the offense, the offense line is the worst in the NFL, is it coaching or the players? Why is Dockery inactive? He at least possess the strength an has experience to protect the quarterback an give him time to throw the freaking ball. Why hasn't Fred Davis been incorporated into this offense? Kyle Shanahans play calling has been suspect at best? Why in the hell is he throwing the ball when we had an opportunity to run the ball an run the clock down?

Posted by: BeatDontStop | November 1, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

1. Benching McNabb at that point in the game was a terrible decision.

2. grossman was not properly warmed up or at game speed. It put HIM in a terrible spot, too.

Posted by: wordup1 | November 1, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

McNabb wasn't playing well. He just threw a game ending interception. I stick with Shanahan. Banks did well. Who brought that guy in? Oh wait... Shanahan.

Posted by: thorhero | November 1, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I like Shanny and Shott but hiring your kids is a mistake. Not even Peyton Manning would survive behind this Castoff/Leftover Line.

Posted by: jercha | November 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Just a note about Mr. Arrington's comment: ..."McNabb, be able to come up with something he's been known to do throughout his career, which is put together a game-winning drive?" Facts are, since 2005 w/ 5 minutes to go & #5's team either tied or behind he is 3-13-1. Not good.

Posted by: sharrington1 | November 1, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

If McNabb was smart, he would run away to a better Offensive Line, Coordinator and Owner.

Posted by: jercha | November 1, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

McNabb threw a game ending interception, but why, does McNabb call the plays, I know he executes them, but it seems to me at that point we had the lead and the best thing would be to run the ball, eat the clock up, not throw it. My question is was McNabb told to throw that ball. I still think pulling McNabb was a dumb decision, we had lost the game, so what, it was just one game. Granted it was a game we shouldn't have lost, but crap happens and did not warrant a bad decision from Shanahan. Again, is Shanahan making these decisions or is Mr. Snyder interfering again....

Posted by: concernedfairfaxresident | November 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

This bonehead move will have McNabb wanting to be a free agent next year and going to another team. Rex Grosman will be our starter next year and things will get worst. Nice Move Shanny. Way to mess up a possible 5-3 start which I thought was going to happen with McNabb still in the game with 1:50 on the clock. McNabb could have won that game IMO. But we all know that Grossman was not gonna win it. What does Shanny see that the rest of the country does not.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | November 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The facts are that Kyle Shanahan wanted Mcnabb pulled. He's not a coach's that's gonna be able to adjust his Offense to player strengths so he wanted the QB he feels comfortable with playing and has probably wanted him playing for sometime. Just like Weird Al wanted Collins starting over Brunell and then Campbell. Shanny should have and probably would have told any other OC to deal with it and play Mcnabb but since this is his son he's trying to cover up for the fact that Kyle isn't the genius he's been portrayed to be. My sense is Kyle is also responsible for Dockery getting benched, the ridiculous RT rotation, and the questionable cuts of Devin Thomas, Larry Johnson and others.

Posted by: moseley_brian | November 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I've read a lot of post where people have said McNabb is gone after the season, that he's going to Minn or AZ next year and I thought they were all Nuts!!!!!!

Right up until the end of that game.....WOW!! what a waste of a draft pick for the Skins yet again. Even if McNabb starts again and does well you can bet he won't be signing a contract extension with us!! For those fans hating on McNabb.............WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!
No QB in the entire league could have success in this offense. I will say #5 was probably chuckling a little at the end of the game when Grossman got crunched and looked over at Shanny like "see dumb ass it's not me that's the problem"!!

I unlike some Fans understand what it means to have a franchise QB. I thank McNabb for coming here to this sorry franchise. It's a shame that it now seems like he'll be gone after just one season.

Posted by: skins91r | November 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Pulling McNabb is the coaches decision - period. Doesn't have to explain it to anyone really whether right or wrong. Obviously this time pulling McNabb was the wrong move as evidenced by Grossman's first play from scrimmage. It's also a misread on where the problem really lies - also demonstrated on Grossman's first play.

Can't expect best case scenario with either quarterback with linemen that cannot block a pass rush, a center that steps on the QBs feet, receivers (Fred Davis) that drop scoring passes put right in their hands, and with no running game to speak of yesterday. Grossman? Best chance to win? I DON'T THINK SO.....

Posted by: BenThere | November 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

My question is this: Why go for the 2 point conversion the SECOND time? What is up with the revolving door O line? Kyle S. is not looking like the genius OC he was sold as.

So maybe somehow he thought Rex could do better....Peyton Manning he is NOT! And how would Peyton fare behind this line? Not well

Posted by: mdflorals | November 1, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

This is the second dumb move I've seen. The first was Haynesworth being benched for the Colts game. He was obviously ready to go and would have kept Peyton Manning off balance. Shannohan sometimes goes too far to prove his points.

Posted by: ChairmanX | November 1, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChairmanX | November 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Kyle has poor playing calling skills with this team. At this point, a proven QB should be able to call his own plays and manage the on the field action based on his own feel.

The Shanahan's are coming off as disrespectful, disingenuous and in constant need of having their collective azzzes kissed.

This is a career .500 Head Coach; they are at 4-4. Par for the course.

Posted by: kahlua87 | November 1, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

as a life long Philadelphian & Eagles fan I am glad that the rest of the league will see what Andy Reid has been hiding for 10 yrs. Donovan McNabb is just that bright a guy. He is not the sharpest knife in the drawer and offenses Andy put together had to be dummied down for him

Posted by: bobpnk658 | November 1, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

WORST MOVE BY A HEAD COACH THIS YEAR! I was so EXCITED we finally got a legitimate coach and QB. Now our head coach has pulled the bone head move of the year and taken out his star QB. This will do more than destroy whatever momentum or trust the team has in Shanahan. Most people on this blog don't understand how much trust and cohesion has to do with success in the NFL. Coaches lose teams all the time and the players look like they are going through the motions. Look what has happened to Dallas. There goes any chance of having a good year and retaining McNabb! The Redskins have stunk the last 19 years and will continue to stink because of bone head decisions like this! Thanks Coach, we just lost 5 for good now!

Posted by: toreyfeelsfor5 | November 1, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Too many issues to list. Montana and Rice wouldn't flourish with this O-line. And the coach isn't taking what the defense is giving him. When they rush up the middle, the short-center of the field is wide open (watch every other pass play). Why give up on the run when you have the lead? Why is Moss always falling down?

Donovan give you the Donovan things (errant throws at the recievers' feet, slants either too hard, high or behind) but there were about 6 catchable balls dropped...at least 3 were on 3rd down...one was to (i think) Sellers to extend a scoring drive (fg instead).

The offense scored 25pts. Nevermind the Grossman fumble and the defense still allowed 31. This defense is not getting it done and making the others teams' QB's and recievers look like Montana and Rice. Ranked next to last in the rankings, they should be taking some of the heat.

Posted by: drakejordan | November 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding me, put together a game winning drive, something he has done throughout his career. As a Philly fan who has seen every game McNabb has played in I challenge anyone to give me 5 games where McNabb came back with a game winning drive. Shanahan put him in there because he knows what we in Philly have known for years. When the game is on the line he will not come thru.

Posted by: john663 | November 1, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I just want to start out with a "BIG HTTRS!" and follow it with a "BIGGER WTF!!". I am a die-hard Redskins fan. I grew up in the Alexandria/Arlington & Woodbridge Va area and now I reside in the Detroit Metro area. I have been to both of these 2 embarrassing and demoralizing losses to the Lions. As a business man and entrepenuer, I understand that it takes time to build a vision for success and you have to use all the resources around you to be successful. I have watched the Redskins play since I was in Kindergarten and I am now 35 y/o. I have witnessed the Exuberant feeling of 3 Superbowl Championships and felt the aching heart of a dis-enheartened fan as this franchise goes through the long and continued swirl of poor personnel moves and concussed judgement in play calls. And as a fan with very few outlets to express my patronage to the Burgundy & Gold and even fewer to cope with the flailing demise of a once great and historic franchise or the emptyness of the climatic return to Greatness..hold that thought maybe next year again.... I turn to the blog-sphere for closure and understanding. I sat at Ford Field Sunday, corner end zone above the tunnel, Dawning my teams colors, my city's pride in a blacked out market and vacant stadium in comparison to RFK/FedEx standards. What I don't understand is the thought process of an experienced coaching staff to send in a subpar #2 performer (no offense to Sexy Rexy),for a subpar performing Starter. The Paradigm Shift in that scenario no matter how you slice and dice the decision never falls in our favor, Ever!! I sat in awe of Rex Grossman behind center, like a witness to a Train Wreck, motionless, scared, full of fear for what I was about to witness could not be happening, wanting to yell out stop!!! Call a time out!!! Screaming in Slow motion hoping they would heed my warning,did they not see it coming, could they not hear the Trains roaring down the track??? I am by no means a coach nor a professional athlete. And for as much game film as these coaches watch and scenario game planning they do and countless hours of analysis, where does Rex Grossman with a 1:50 on the clock and down by 6pts in the 4th quarter ever come into play. I am ailing and aching on the inside like a man whose woman cheated on him and stole his heart and love as if were nothing. Now I am obviously exaggerating the aching heart a little bit, but none the less it is painful watching what you know was once amazing and dominant, continue to be so mediocre year in and year out. Dan, Mike, Kyle, Bruce as a fan I plead with you stop teasing me like a guy at the strip club tucking George Washington's into your G-string and lets play some Damn- Smash Mouth- Lights out- Points on the Board- all or nothing football!!! Kudo's to Haslett for playing to Haynesworths strengths and giving him the opportunity to be a playmaker. NOW, What do you have to do to put MC5 and the Offense in that position to make plays and win the Games!!

Posted by: WigginsHTTRS | November 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

as long as coach hamm-o-KLAN and his retarded son keep the interior of the o-line as it is this team will continue to lose I for one did not fall for any of hamm-o-KLAN being a great head coach he is a bone-headed, stupid vindictive, bigoted loser who wants everyone to pray at his alter claiming to be the messiah of this team and all most follow him and his stupidity he will allow yes men, groupies to play without question he is indeed a legend in his own microscopic mind.

Posted by: wathu19 | November 1, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What the media, in fear of their jobs, won't tell you: This team will continue to be dysfunctional until Danny Boy sells the team.
To be successful, you need to identify, acquire and develop talent as it emerges, not try to buy those who are over-the-hill or in some cases never had much talent to start with. Witness the Shanahans, Allens, McNabbs, Grossmans, Haynesworths, etc.
This team has the oldest average age in the NFL, so it isn't likely to get a lot better any time soon. Take away McNabb at QB and who are you left with at that position? Where is the starter in waiting? The talent is equally thin at almost every other position as well.

Posted by: jos587 | November 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Catching some of the Sports radio today (980) and the post game show on TV last night (Comcast Sports Nite) I am now starting to believe that the benching of McNabb may go down as the biggest injustice in the history of mankind. Oh, the outrage. McNabb is such a prized posession. He has been almost flawless. He is the victim! Terrible O-Line, no quality receivers, bad play calling, the worst owner in football, stupid (and possibly racist) coaches. And nary a word about the play, or lack of it, from the defendant, Mr. McNabb. Because you have played 11 years, and very erratically over those 11 years, you hold an exemption card from being benched? PLEASE! In 8 games McNabb has had 2 decent quarters. His stats, as bad as they are, don't really tell the story. How many 3rd and 8's have we seen we he throws a completed pass to a covered receiver for 4 yards? Can you say padded stats? Is it possible to overlook all of the attempts this year where he DID have time to throw to an open receiver and that pesky inaccuracy bug kept biting him. Enough of the drama. He is not a top tier QB (or middle tier any longer). Please don't feed into this. He pouted in Philly and we are going to see it here to. Grossman is not the guy you want waiting in the wings, but for coaches to want something more out of their starting QB than what they have been getting is understandable. Man up!

Posted by: dwhite3 | November 1, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

chicoandtheman2001

Is he having the best season? No, but it's because he has a terrible O-line, and terrible WRs.

The only two people McNabb has to throw to is Moss and Cooley. Moss is having the 2nd best season of his career, and Cooley is having the best season of his career.

No QB this side of Manning could do any better than McNabb is.

Posted by: SkinsFan68 | November 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Why bench McChicken? Because he stinks! They are all bum street and a whisker from 0-8 had it not been for the 4 teams outscored beating themselves with penalties and sloppy play. They can't run it, throw it, the defense is a joke, and all they got is a midget wrestler that looks like Tommy Davidson in cleats on K and P returns. That glass eyed, razor lipped weasel Shannibag and he goat farm loving dork son are a waste of money. they all stink and Snyder the miser is getting what he deserves.

Posted by: doyouktt | November 1, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Chico... says
"You are NUTS! McNabb is not only "that good," he's the best QB this team has ever had."
The word "Delusional" has been brought to an all new level. You really think McNabb is accurate? McNabb is to accuracy as Rosie O'Donnell is to attractive.

Posted by: dwhite3 | November 1, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan was treated like God in Denver. He's not in Denver anymore. He needs to account truthfully to his fan base here, because Skins fans are too smart. Disrespect us and you two will be benched. Coach.

Posted by: frannie825 | November 1, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

What's in the DC water lately that turns otherwise/ previously good coaches (Spurrier, Schottenheimer, Gibbs 2.0) into idiots?

Not to dump on Rex G., who probably isn't as bad as many think, but he's just not in the league of McNabb (the guy with one of the best TD:INT ratios in the history of the NFL), so why assume he'd be able to do anything better than McNabb?

Worst part of it is that now McNabb's gone - why'd he want to come back next year? And it's not like we have a quality replacement QB hovering in the wings. So I guess we need to prepare for another 3 or 4 years of mediocrity or outright suckitude.

Mike Shanahan simply let his kid talk him into a boneheaded move - which brings up the question of why don't commentators come down on this whole schtick of coaches bringing in their kids to work for them? In any other field, that opens up charges of nepotism and all the negative connotations of a dumbazz being given more responsibility and authority than he deserves or can handle not b/c of skill and talent and merit, but b/c daddy's the boss. Isn't that bad for morale or something?

Bench Kyle Shanahan - do the kid a favor, b/c if he's any good he'll thrive somewhere else w/o folk questioning whether he's getting where he's getting or is where he is due to intrinsic talent or due to his daddy overpromoting him beyond his natural level.

Posted by: darkhorse08817 | November 1, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

in truth, the really bad decision was allowing mr. mcnabb to play in this game to begin with. i say this not because i don't think he's a good QB (clearly, he's an excellent one), but because i believe he's been playing hurt for the past 3 games, before the lions.

go back and review film of the prior 3 games, and you'll note his distinct lack of mobility in or out of the pocket. i believe his hamstrings (or whatever) have been bothering him for a month, and getting beat up every game isn't helping them get better.

with any luck, the bye week will give him time to heal, and give the O line more time to all get on the same page. if not, it's going to be a painful second half of the season for both.

Posted by: cpinva | November 2, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Having watched the OL fold up like a wet paper napkin, over and over again in this game, Shanahan just might have pulled McNabb to keep him from any further injury. McNabb wasn't doing the team any good staring at the sky (or the dirt), sack after sack after sack.

You don't continually throw good wine into a leaky beer keg.

Thank you, Snyder and Vinnie, for your appreciation of the need for a quality OL.

Posted by: pberger1 | November 2, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Shanahan's a genius after all? Donovan McNabb appears to be a first class guy, a team player, so when the one-time premier players that also happen to be good guys are reaching the end of their careers, it's an emotional thing to watch as they struggle through. Remember the Eagles traded him to the redskins, a team in their own division, that seldom happens. The fact that the Redskins are way short on talent doesn't help Donovan, but Shanahan inherited this team and patched it together as best he could. Watching McNabb throw an interception into triple coverage with a little more than 4 minutes left in the game with the Redskins ahead, was a rookie mistake and probably the last straw. Maybe Donovan has a lot more in the tank, maybe with another team with more talent he could recapture the Donovan of old? But Shanahan is his coach, he's paid to win football games. Maybe this was his attempt to shake it up? Who knows, his explanation was a joke and an insult to the intelligence of all who watched it, on that I agree with Wilbon. With his lame explanation it looks like Shanahan is right where he belongs: in the center of spin and BS-Washington, DC!

Posted by: craigy7169 | November 2, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

For those of you defending McNabb, ask yourself what level of play have you seen him demonstrate THIS season? The Redskins wins were not because of McNabb, if that was the case they would have been winning by more than 3 points. In reality, this offense sputters with him on third downs and fails to sustain many drives at all. Most of their scoring drives have been set up by amazing punt or kick off returns or turnovers. How would starting Grossman make the offense worse? That would seem an appropriate question.

Posted by: driley | November 2, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

McNabb was a good QB (never great)! He is on the downward slide, which is why Philly traded him to a division rival. Why is everyone in Skins land so big on this guy? Is it because he can throw a ball 70 yards? Well there are "normal" people walking around the streets of DC right now who can loft a ball 70 yards. Look at all the long balls McNabb has completed this season. Over 70% of them have something in common - adjustments by the WR on the other end. Short routes? Maybe if we sign a midget he could hit someone out of the backfield. How many balls has he thrown at Cooley and Fred's feet so far this season? How many has he overthrown only to come up with that grin all over his face as we just missed another 3rd down conversion. You can blame the OL if you want, until this past Sunday they hadn't been half bad in pass protection. I wouldn't follow McNabb to a watering hole in the middle of the desert! This guy may lead with his words, but he certainly isn't leading with his play. A great leader does so by example (see London). The offense is starting to lose confidence in their QB, it's starting with the TE's, will quickly spread to the WR's, and then the entire offense. A true leader on the field is someone who is successful, you can talk the talk, but if you don't produce on Sunday you aren't a leader!

Posted by: dwilcox2 | November 2, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Clearly, Shanahan knew best, and who can argue to the contrary? Just based on the facts, McNabb has never been able to execute the hand-off from his buttcheeks -- just look at his extension from his right cheek: everybody knows that you have to be leveraging the left cheek to make that handoff. And, as long as McNabb has been in the West Coast noffense, it would seem he could execute the one-legged, one-step dropback better. He still falls down too often when 300 pounders in full retreat on their 12th round sleds stomp his feet before the H hits the IKE. And you know, Payton manning would know what audible to call when Stephon Heyer wets himself and Artis Hicks poops his pants -- you call the sprint out toss into the stands. Why McNabb insists on being sacked with the wrong call is just beyond the pale. I am so tired of McNabb apologists always bringing up his 35,000 yards passing, body-of-work, multiple pro bowls, multiple championship appearances, great guy in the lockerroom leadership drivel. The man deserved to be humiliated by the clearly superior, clearly smarter, clearly all-knowing Shanahan. If only we had Elway, or a Manning, or Drew Brees or Jake Plummer or Jay Cutler or Brett Favre or Matt Hasselbeck. All of these guys are the kind you can count on in the final 2 minutes, regardless of whether they've thrown 3 or 4 more interceptions in the game to that point than McNabb had. Shoot, those are leaders. McNabb? Well, he must lack the "necessities" for leadership.

Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care.

Posted by: tcmarcus | November 2, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care.

Posted by: tcmarcus | November 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy crack corn, and I don't care.

Posted by: tcmarcus | November 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"If the results had been different and Grossman marched the team down the field for the game-winning touchdown"

You may well have wrote "If there were monkey's on the moon"

Benching McNabb for Grossman has got to be the Worst and most bizarre coaching move in the history of the Redskins franchise, and we've had some doosies. I think Shannahan is on crack, maybe we should get him some help.
Actually it's apparent that Kyle Shannahan had convinced his daddy that Grossman will be better at running the offense. Kyle' theorey smacked hard with reality on Sunday and Daddy is protecting his son.

Posted by: tomgill21 | November 2, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan took out his frustration on McNabb kind of a like a little kid having a temper tantrum. Yes, McNabb wasn't playing well, but he didn't make the decision to go for it on 4th down on the 28, he didn't commit the holding penalty when Hanson was lining up for a field goal, giving the Lions first down and the chance for a TD instead and he didn't make the O line part like the Red Sea facing Moses. L.A., you're right - bad move both for McNabb and Grossman (who lived up to his name on the first play...)

Posted by: drakdama | November 2, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Would "5," as they call McNabb, be able to come up with something he's been known to do throughout his career"

CHOKE

People have such a revisionist history about Don McNabb. The guy has never been a clutch performer down the stretch. The proof was against the Colts when he didn't start doubling up the plays in the 2nd to last drive. I don't care if little Shanny is not calling 2 plays you are a pro bowler and proclaimed leader. I agree with the benching it's going to wake this guy up.

Posted by: realtalk3 | November 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

CHOKE

Lavar and the rest of the folks that disagree have such a revisionist history about Don McNabb. The guy has never been a clutch performer down the stretch. The proof was against the Colts when he didn't start doubling up the plays in the 2nd to last drive. I don't care if little Shanny is not calling 2 plays you are a pro bowler and proclaimed leader. I agree with the benching it's going to wake this guy up.

Posted by: realtalk3 | November 2, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that Shanahan would love to have that decision back. It's too late, and now he has to spend the rest of the year justifying it and trying to heal the massive wounds it caused. He was like a ticked off fan making a move out of spite, and an utterly stupid move it was for as many reasons as you can possibly think of. The only positive thing in all this is that McNabb is a true professional and a mature adult who will simply return to his role as a leader and a QB who tries as hard as he can. He isn't in the top rung of talent, but no one would ever dare question his heart. He may show up coach for the childish move he made and be the winner in the end.

Posted by: scribebob | November 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

From: Daniel Snyder
To: Mike Shanahan
Date: Oct. 28, 2010

Mike,

Just wanted to reiterate our discussion. If 5 starts sucking in the fourth, bench him. We talked about how our mediocre football team is incapable of generating media buzz through the play on the field and how drama and chaos is needed to keep us in the headlines. The Haynesworth story has died down and we need something new to light a fire under these reporters and bloggers behinds, not to mention the fan base. Benching him will surely vault us into the top story list on ESPN.com and make The WP buzz like a swarm of bees. Who cares about the outcome of the game. We know how to make $$$ around here and that's by keeping our name fresh on the lips of the media and forcefeeding our drama down the throats of all football fans...even those who could care less about our team. I've gotten assurances from ESPN that if we bench McNabb we will be the #1 hottest topic this week and with our bye, we need a little extra something to add to it so you may as well bring in Russell for a workout Tuesday.

Thanks and I'll see you at The Palm Tuesday,