Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
On Twitter: HokiesJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Hokies-Terps tip-off delayed until 7 p.m.

UPDATED | 4:55 p.m. The men's basketball game between Maryland and Virginia Tech has been delayed two and a half hours due to a water main break caused after a catering truck ran into a fire hydrant near Cassell Coliseum, according to Tom Gabbard, Virginia Tech associate athletic director for internal affairs.

The game will now tip-off at 7 p.m., not 6:30 p.m., in order to be broadcast on more television affiliates

Around 1 p.m., a catering truck toting beer to the 25th annual Hokies Celebration -- a fundraiser for alumni held in the Bowman Room on the fourth floor of the Jamerson Athletic Center, which is connected to Cassell Coliseum -- ran into a fire hydrant near the arena, which busted the water line into the building. School facilities workers attempted to find the shut-off valve to that line, but it was under water and could not be located.

School facilities workers then shut off the main water line to the arena in order to stop the water flow so that they could find the shut-off valve for the smaller line, bypass the smaller line and then turn the main line back on, which would have been a temporary fix to the problem. However, when workers shut off the main line, the back pressure blew another water line on campus. According to Gabbard, that problem required a four-hour fix.

At 2:10 p.m., a school facilities worker told Gabbard he could have the problem fixed in four hours, so Gabbard elected to set the new tip-off time at 6:30 p.m. The game originally was scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.

Fans will be kept out of the arena until 5 p.m., at which time Gabbard will know whether the facilities workers are on schedule to fix the problem by 6:30.

"Then we can make a decision then whether there's going to be a tip at 6:30 and we've got to figure out what we're going to do next," Gabbard said. "I feel confident that he thinks he can do it in quicker than four (hours), so we gave him four."

Maryland and Virginia Tech players were warming up on the court at 2:30 when an announcement was made over the loudspeakers at the arena that the game had been delayed. Adrian Bowie and Dino Gregory attempted a few half-court shots before following their teammates back into the visiting locker room.

Maryland players were taken to the Virginia Tech football team lounge in the basement of Cassell Coliseum where there are pool tables, televisions and video game systems. Virginia Tech Coach Seth Greenberg headed for a treadmill workout after sending his players home.

Virginia Tech football coaches Bryan Stinespring and Curt Newsome stood on the court for a few minutes with what appeared to be a group of recruits. They have since left the floor.

By Steve Yanda  |  February 27, 2010; 3:08 PM ET
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia Tech had a long, tough week
Next: Video recap: Maryland 104, Virginia Tech 100 (2 OT)

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company