On Twitter: HokiesJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Malcolm Delaney wanted ACC player of year

Even before it was announced Tuesday that Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez was the ACC player of the year, Virginia Tech's Malcolm Delaney knew he had no chance that the award.

"I already know I'm not going to get it," Delaney said in an interview Monday afternoon. "I could average 30 and I wouldn’t get it."

Vasquez received 39 votes for the award, Duke's Jon Scheyer received 12 votes and Delaney received two votes. The voting was conducted by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association.

Vasquez lifted the Terrapins to a share of the ACC regular season title and become the only player in conference history with 2,000 or more points, 750 or more assists and 600 or more rebounds in a career.

Delaney led the league in scoring (22.7 points per game) and was fourth in assists in conference games (4.9 assists per game). Vasquez was second in scoring (22.1 points per game) and first in assists (6.7 assists per game) in league games. Delaney led the league in minutes played in ACC games (38.6 minutes per game).

Delaney arguably had less to work with at Virginia Tech and he has has been nagged this season by sprains in both ankles, which has adversely impacted his typically dead-on shot.

But while Vasquez's selection doesn't come as a surprise, Delaney said he wouldn't have picked the Terrapins guard to receive the award. Delaney would have picked himself.

Asked on Monday who he would have voted for, Delaney answered directly: "Me."

"I just feel like from Day 1 of the season," Delaney continued, "the effort I put in and even since I've been hurt and being the team that was predict so low and what we did and everything with winning and on a personal level, what I’ve done in the ACC – I think I deserve it. At the end of the day, I wouldn’t beat myself up over it if I didn’t get it or anything. It’s just something I'm going to strive to next year."

That, of course, assumes that Delaney will return to Blacksburg next fall. He will find himself in a similar situation -- should he stay or go -- to the one Vasquez was in last offseason. But Vasquez chose to return to College Park, and on Tuesday, he beat Delaney to take the ACC's top individual honor for 2010.

By Mark Viera  |  March 9, 2010; 2:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hokies are excited about adding Allan Chaney
Next: ACC tournament quickly approaching

Comments

PLEASE come back and win it next year malcolm. it'll be nice to see all the current juniors come back and finish what they've started.

Posted by: bflo | March 9, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How many times does Delaney want to say the world "I".

Perhaps there is your answer right there.

Posted by: khornbeak | March 9, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

What a clown. Clearly this player does not understand TEAMWORK. That is why he will never match Vasquez's accomplishments even if he returns to Blacksburg.

Posted by: fredterp444 | March 9, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow. What a whiner. Vasquez can be obnoxious, but at least he's not a complete whiner. First, Delaney brags about gaming the referees with his flops. Now this. I'm glad Vasquez beat him in Blacksburg.

Delaney, please, shut up, MAN up, and just play the game.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | March 9, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ahh the entitlement generation. I, I, I...

Posted by: shrshot | March 9, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Someone needs to take a trip down to the "Hokie High Country" and give Delaney a lesson on TEAMWORK? FREDTERP

Posted by: FREDTERP44 | March 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Try shooting 40% from the field before you start complaining about not being player of the year.

Posted by: RAD3 | March 9, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a bunch of Maryland homers beating up on their competition. Twerp fans are the whiners wah wah wah burn a couch if we win, burn a couch if we don't

Posted by: RogerRamjet2 | March 9, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Try hitting your free throws late in the game.

Posted by: djgall2003 | March 9, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

This guys a mar-oon. Who won the game between UMD and Tech again?

Oh yeah, that's what I thought.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

What a ridiculous, egocentric puss. I'm not a fan of either UMD or VT but clearly Greivis deserved POY and MD did not. Delaney flops if the wind blows hard. It's good to see a real player who led his team win the award. I almost hope that MD does return for another year to see the puss not win it again.

Posted by: Yowzer | March 9, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Delaney had too much local moonshine before he ran his mouth off.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Delaney is a great player. But come, let's face it, he hasn't been healthy all year. And at times his play suffered.

Come back next year - I'd say he would be a leading candidate going in. Although, it seems much of the clowns, uh I mean mid-Atalantic sprots writers favor Carolina centric schools.

Posted by: Jaymand | March 9, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

If "much of the clowns, uh I mean mid-Atlantic sprots writers favor Carolina centric schools" than how come Gary Williams and Greivis Vasquez beat out Coach K and Jon Scheyer for ACC coach and player of the year awards?

You wouldn't happen to be talking out of your rear end would you?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Class is not in Delaney's very limited vocabulary? VT has a history of thugish atheletes who don't have an understanding of human decency. He should get the Mike Vick award for self pity?

Vasquez clearly deserves ACC player of the year not only in his personal stats but in his ability to lead his team to a share of the ACC title!

VT, arguably has as much or more talent than anyone but continues to underacheive. If Delaney had hit his free throws at the end of the Maryland game maybe his crying like a little girl would have a little merit!

Posted by: sbf845 | March 10, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

VT, arguably has as much or more talent than anyone...
Posted by: sbf845 | March 10, 2010 9:38 AM

thats pretty funny. and who knew maryland fans were so sensitive. there is a big difference between self promotion and whining. how can you hate on a kid promoting himself? even if he isn't correct ?

Posted by: follybeach | March 10, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

follybeach;

I don't hate Delaney but his attitude is disgusting. It clearly is unsportsmanlike and very immature. Before I read this article I had nothing but respect for this kid!

He is a Marylander from Baltimore and I am embarresd by him being from the same State! You obviosly don't have a clue but being a hokie I understand you're cluelessness.

You don't need to promote yourself by being negative. If Delaney wanted to be ACC player of the year he should have put his team in first place not his mouth?

I thought only Seth made excuses and whinned but he must be coaching his team to do the same?

Posted by: sbf845 | March 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

i just read the article again and really your entire perception of MD changed over that article. really? to the point where you are embarrassed he is from the same state. youre extreme dude!

Posted by: follybeach | March 10, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse