On Twitter: HokiesJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS

Goodbye, Hokies Journal

When I was assigned to cover Virginia Tech, I really didn’t know what to expect. The only thing I was sure of was that I would be moving to Blacksburg, Va. Then I had to find it on a map.

Since then, I learned more than I could have envisioned about Virginia Tech. Granted, I still don’t know what a Hokie is, but I now know that you recognize it when you see it: Frank Beamer loyal, Bud Foster tough, Seth Greenberg competitive. I watched a lot of football (a certain game against Nebraska sticks out). I watched a lot of basketball. And as kid from the Northeast, I learned a little about barbecue and people with manners.

But after a year covering Virginia Tech, I will be stepping away from The Washington Post and pursuing other opportunities.

There are too many people I’d like to thank publicly for welcoming me to Blacksburg and to this beat. Whether they were my fellow scribes who cover the Hokies or fine folks at Virginia Tech, I owe a debt of gratitude to them all for their kindness and helpfulness in my first year covering the Hokies. I will miss many of them, and I will never forget the past year. I grateful for the awesome opportunity I had to cover the university, its athletic program and the class group of people there.

I’m hopeful my departure from The Post’s Virginia Tech beat doesn’t mean I have covered the Hokies for the last time. Either way, I’ll be keeping an eye out for those maroon helmets in the fall and for a sideline appearance by the HokieBird at the NCAA tournament in the winter.

Finally, thank you all for reading. It has been a privilege.

By Mark Viera  |  May 28, 2010; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Austin Wates named first-team all-ACC in baseball
Next: A note on our Hokies coverage

Comments

Sorry to hear this. Does this mean the Post is not continuing Hokies Journal?

Posted by: jg3000 | May 28, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Mark! oh no. First Cindy and now you. I hope WaPo isn't cutting back on the blogs. Best of luck in your new direction.

Posted by: -JSN- | May 28, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Mark: You are a class act and i have admired and looked forward to your comments regarding the Hokies. As they say," One a Hokie, Always a Hokie!!" You are one of us and we are proud of you and your comments. I am hoping that your future endeavors are as rewarding as this opportunity was to you.

Mel in Manakin-Sabot (you need a map to find this place as well!!!

Posted by: melvinktz | May 28, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear you'll be leaving. I really enjoyed your writing. Good Luck in wherever you do next

Posted by: fanmaz | May 28, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure going to miss your blogging. I hope you enjoyed your time in Blacksburg as much as I did (Hokies '07!) Good luck at your next venture!

Posted by: emmaVT | May 28, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the kind words (on behalf of the TSLers and Hokies everywhere) It was a bit of a thrill to see a Hokie blog in the WaPo, this from a former paperboy wayback.
We'll still be here and keep a light on for ya!

Posted by: jhtlag1 | May 28, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck, and sorry to see you go.

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the blogs and articles - I've enjoyed reading your posts.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Posted by: postfan1 | June 2, 2010 3:46 AM | Report abuse